Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Childwall District

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxmolyneux/996616280/

Gididi Gididi Goo.

Only came across this from the local rag today.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-21578306/

What a troubled chap to do such a thing.

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Only came across this from the local rag today.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-21578306/

What a troubled chap to do such a thing.
    Poor guy, that is very sad.

Default Bombed house Bentham Drive/Bowland Drive

I was very interested about the post of the house that was bombed corner of Bentham drive/Bowland Avenue. I had also heard this somewhere else. Does anyone have any information on this please? Was it Bentham drive side or Bowland Ave side. I could look it up in the archives if anyone knows what year.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by minerva View Post
    I was very interested about the post of the house that was bombed corner of Bentham drive/Bowland Avenue. I had also heard this somewhere else. Does anyone have any information on this please? Was it Bentham drive side or Bowland Ave side. I could look it up in the archives if anyone knows what year.
    thanks
    Not much to go on really. 1944 it was bombed. The whole house (2 houses joined) went, and you can see the 'newer' house today (which looks exactly like the rest now!) It was the two houses situated on the corner of Bowland/Bentham.

The all new Childwall website is now up and running. Redesigned with lots more information and pictures. 50,000 hits, I had to change it!

Usual address at Childwall

Excellent site and easy to use. Many thanks. I go to The Fiveways quite a bit and was in there with my daughters a few weeks ago. I mentioned to them that the pub used to have a men-only bar until the change in legislation in 1976. They don't believe me. Anyone else out there remember this.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Excellent site and easy to use. Many thanks. I go to The Fiveways quite a bit and was in there with my daughters a few weeks ago. I mentioned to them that the pub used to have a men-only bar until the change in legislation in 1976. They don't believe me. Anyone else out there remember this.
    Hi birdseye
    I remember that men-only bar - going through front entrance, turn left and go through main bar into a smaller men-only one. Never really went there though.

The room at the back was waitress serve, with bells on the wall to bring the waitress to the table. How times change.

Yes, that's the one. Can't for the life of me think of why they barred women though. It's not as if they got up to anything there. Just old blokes smoking pipes and playing dominoes. When I was working in town, I used to go into The Cracke for a pint at dinner time and that was men only as well. Wonder if there were any others in Liverpool.
    Funny thing was my daughters and their friends thought having men only and women only bars was a good idea and it should have been kept going. I had to point out to them that it was women who campaigned to have the rules changed.

That's why they banned the women, so you couldn't go into the crack, it's a pity they didn't try it at the Grafton.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I disapprove of men only bars, women only with exceptions I don't mind.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Yes, that's the one. Can't for the life of me think of why they barred women though. It's not as if they got up to anything there. Just old blokes smoking pipes and playing dominoes. When I was working in town, I used to go into The Cracke for a pint at dinner time and that was men only as well. Wonder if there were any others in Liverpool.
    Funny thing was my daughters and their friends thought having men only and women only bars was a good idea and it should have been kept going. I had to point out to them that it was women who campaigned to have the rules changed.
    I think the Black Horse, next to Walton church, had a men-only bar - on the right as you went through the main door. We used to go into the back bar, along with the monks in brown robes ().

Yes, you're right. I lived in Walton for a couple of years after getting married and I used to go into the Black Horse with my father in law. The bit you were referring to had a curtain that was pulled across whenever meetings were held there. We always used to go to the public bar through the door next to the church wall. It was like a mortuary in there but they served a cracking pint of Whitbread Trophy bitter.

Redesigned the website and added a good few more pictures and information.

www.childwall.info

(plus a 'donate' section under the 'about me' page)

Added a couple of new vid's:

From the top of the tower:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZdYL4eVmZw

And the interior of the church:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2v_LEaQLLg

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast