Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cilla Black moving back to Liverpool?

Blog Entries

Default Cilla Black moving back to Liverpool?

LIVERPOOL star Cilla Black is considering moving back to her home city, she told the Daily Post last night.

On her darkest days, the entertainer tells her close friends she misses Merseyside and wants to return to her roots.

She admitted returning could also help her in her mission to find a northern soulmate after dismissing southern men as boring.

But the 61-year-old confessed she has little time to devote to her search as she already has four close male friends, who she sees on a rota system.

She told the Daily Post: "When I'm feeling a bit fed up I want to be back in Liverpool. I think about moving back.

"I tell my friends I'm going and they say "you wouldn't last two minutes" but I know I'd love it.

"The people are fabulous, so friendly. There is a big north-south divide, it takes much longer to get to know people in the south.

"I'd like a northern man, southern men are so boring.

"I don't want to get married again, although I never say never. I'm still madly in love with Bobby so how can I get married?

"I've got four men who I see on a rota system, I'm very lucky in that respect. They are my good friends.

"It's very difficult for me because I know that when people chat me up it's because of who I am.

"I know that I'm some kind of trophy for them, but I hope they then like me for who I am.

"If we go out on a date they have to pay though. I only go Dutch when I'm in Holland.

"Anyway I had my palm read the other day and I was told I'm going to meet an American lawyer. I'm going to America in October so you never know."

Cilla was back in the city to launch Liverpool Women's Hospital's new Buds and Blossoms appeal as part of its 10th anniversary celebrations.

Patients and visitors can pay £1 for a bluebell or pinkbell bulb to be planted in the grounds and named after someone special to them.

The money will be used to build more accommodation for patients' families to stay in..

Wearing a black Escada suit and Dolce and Gabbana shoes, Cilla planted bulbs in the grounds with a little help from ten toddlers dressed as flowers from Chatham Place Nursery School.

She had hoped to catch up with old pal Cynthia Lennon at the Cavern last night but had to fly back to London for another charity event.

Most of her time now is devoted to travelling. She has just returned from a trip to Marrakesh and is days away from flying out to America - a far cry from her early life.

Born Priscilla White to a mother who was a market stall seller and a father who was a docker, she worked as a hat girl at the Cavern.

But her burning desire to sing saw her secure a recording contract and she had her first number one in 1964 with Anyone Who Had a Heart.

She later turned her hand to presenting and became a big name prime time host with shows like Surprise Surprise and Blind Date.

But he last few years have proved turbulent.

As well as losing Bobby, her beloved husband of 30-years, to cancer, her Buckinghamshire mansion was raided by burglars who made off with £1m of jewellery.

Last year she became a grandmother when her oldest son Robert and his wife Fiona had a baby boy called Max.

She said: "I'm called Bubba, not grandma or nanna - it sounds too old.

"He's adorable, he's got such a lovely smile."

She added: "I came back to Liverpool last year to shoot a documentary and went back to Scottie Road to the phone box where Brian Epstein phoned me to tell me I'd got my first number one.

"It's changed so much. I was so excited when Liverpool won Capital of Culture.

"I really want to be involved, I've talked to Sean Woodward, the St Helens MP about it.

"It would be great to have a big project to really get into."

samlister@dailypost.co.uk

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

SHE has always spoken of her humble roots as a docker's daughter from Scottie Road.

But tonight the full rags-to-riches tale of Priscilla White and her family will be revealed for the first time in a one-off TV documentary.

The 62-year-old, better known as millionairess TV star and performer Cilla Black, travelled to Wales on an emotional journey to learn more about her family history.

And Cilla Black Coming Home reveals some heart-rending stories, including the tale of how her impoverished grandfather walked all the way from Wrexham to Liverpool to find work.

Peeling away the generations on her mother's side also uncovers stories of illegitimate children, workhouses, servitude and poverty.

Revelations for the Surprise, Surprise host include the fact the name Priscilla is a family tradition, the first Priscilla appearing in 1789.

In 1895, Cilla's teenage grandfather Joseph Blythen and his brother William walked from Wales to Liverpool to look for work.

William returned to Wrexham, but Joe stayed on.

Cilla spent two days with the Coming Home team meeting genealogists, local historians and even distant relations to discover more about her north Wales ancestors, who can be traced back to 1720.

She spent time with Wrexham local Gwen Poole, and discovered the two were related.

Now in her 90s, Gwen remembered Cilla's great grandmother, born in 1842.

Cilla said: "I'm a grandmother now and I really wanted my grandson Max to know about my side of the family.

"I've had an incredible journey looking into my family history. I've never been to this part of the world before but I feel completely at home. "There will always be a part of me that will never leave Wales.

"And what my mother would have given to have been here."

Coming Home's associate producer Michael Lewis said: "It's an emotional story for Cilla and she was very moved by it.

"She knew little of her family's past in north Wales and was shocked by some of the stories she heard about her ancestors. Some of these stories are very sad, others very funny.

"She saw where they worked, lived and were buried - some in unmarked graves.

"I saw a different side to her. We really saw the human being behind the professional presenter."

* Cilla Black Coming Home will be shown on BBC1 Wales at 8.30pm tonight. People watching on satellite outside Wales can see it on channel 972.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Are you actually going to watch this?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Default Cilla Black

Cilla Blacks re found love for Liverpool wouldn't have anything to do with Capital of culture, and her being out of the limelight lately would it? Remember she refused to support the liverpool dockers in their last fight against Thatcher whereas Robbie Fowler did. Dont be fooled like Jimmy Tarbuck these days she's a professional scouser,

haven't gorra lorra lorra time for cilla she tries too hard to be a scouser to the point she gets on my nerves

Chris48

Talking

Well I agree with most of what has been said but I will say that Cilla Black was one of the defining voices of the 1960s. Not my cup of tea but a very strong unique and powerful voice. She lost her way by dumping the singing but I suppose the big bucks were in TV. She is part of Liverpool culture if not only for just one of her hits , "You're my world". Fabulous!
    Last edited by Chris48; 02-03-2008 at 10:07 AM.

PhilipG

Yawn!

Yes, she had a great singing voice.
    She lost the plot when she decided she'd rather be a "Scouse Treasure".

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Yawn!

Yes, she had a great singing voice.
    She lost the plot when she decided she'd rather be a "Scouse Treasure".
    well put

She never had a great singing voice at all

Cilla coming back to Liverpool, just when things were looking up for Liverpool someone spoils the party
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by Chris48 View Post
    Well I agree with most of what has been said but I will say that Cilla Black was one of the defining voices of the 1960s. Not my cup of tea but a very strong unique and powerful voice. She lost her way by dumping the singing but I suppose the big bucks were in TV. She is part of Liverpool culture if not only for just one of her hits , "You're my world". Fabulous!
    Cilla's voice was by no means one of the classic pop voices of the age but I'll agree that "You're My World" was one of the great songs of 1960's UK pop, actually better than her breakthrough "Anyone Who Had a Heart." Her UK hit with that Hal David - Burt Bacharach song was actually a cover of a Dionne Warwick hit in the US -- in it though she displayed power and drama, if a bit nasal compared to the more mellow and thus I think more successful artistically, "You're My World."

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    She never had a great singing voice at all

Cilla coming back to Liverpool, just when things were looking up for Liverpool someone spoils the party
    Well said.

Partsky

If Cilla (Professional Scouser) Black comes back then I`m off. Cant stand the Woman but do think she outsang Dionne Warwick on "Anyone Who Had A Heart" although it kills me to type this.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    If Cilla (Professional Scouser) Black comes back then I`m off. Cant stand the Woman but do think she outsang Dionne Warwick on "Anyone Who Had A Heart" although it kills me to type this.
    To beat Dionne Warwick does need a great voice.
    Did you see DW on Jools last night?
    Unfortunately she didn't sing.
    Instead we got an ancient B&W clip.

She's moving back for Christmas, for a few weeks in a hotel anyway. Granada news has reported she's going to be in panto, didnt catch which theatre.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast