Thread: Tunnels in Childwall?

There was a tunnel discovered recently up in the grounds of the old childwall college.

I believe as mentioned previously on here that the Childwall website is Jona76
    A tunnel was found when the foundations were being laid for the new garage that was built last year in the old shell of the equestrian building in all that remains of childwall hall.

This was discovered when some of the old blocks of sandstone and york stone were lifted off the floor.
    the tunnel was found with a lot of earth in and was filled in and the work carried on.
    My friend works in said garage and I work away so was pretty gutted as i didnt get to nose any further.

Blog Entries

Hi cileuuelle medic and a warm welcome on a windy evening form me
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by cileuuelle medic View Post
    There was a tunnel discovered recently up in the grounds of the old childwall college.

I believe as mentioned previously on here that the Childwall website is Jona76
    A tunnel was found when the foundations were being laid for the new garage that was built last year in the old shell of the equestrian building in all that remains of childwall hall.

This was discovered when some of the old blocks of sandstone and york stone were lifted off the floor.
    the tunnel was found with a lot of earth in and was filled in and the work carried on.
    My friend works in said garage and I work away so was pretty gutted as i didnt get to nose any further.

I'd heard of this rumour when I took the tour around the area but I was told that they had found a cellar system rather than a tunnel itself. I'll certainly get back on to the chap that took the tour with me and see what I can find out and see if there is another way 'in'. Can't think where it would lead to though, certainly not the Abbey as that's a massive drop.

The garage is pictured below:
    Last edited by theninesisters; 03-23-2007 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
    I'd heard of this rumour when I took the tour around the area but I was told that they had found a cellar system rather than a tunnel itself. I'll certainly get back on to the chap that took the tour with me and see what I can find out and see if there is another way 'in'. Can't think where it would lead to though, certainly not the Abbey as that's a massive drop.

The garage is pictured below:
    I could have a nose around next week when home.
    I don't know where it would lead to or if it was part of the cellar system.
    It was under the equestrian building and I dont know where this was located in the grounds of Childwall Hall.
    A footprint of the Hall would be good to place over the present site to give an indication of what it could have been.

Yes agree too much of a drop down to the Abbey from there to lead in that direction.

theninesisters

The exact area used to be the stable block so it would be strange to have a tunnel linking from that. The external walls of the stable block are still there but as you know, nothing else remains.

You can find more pictures of that area at:

http://www.childwall.moonfruit.com/childwallhall