Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scotland Road and Kirkdale Area

Default Scotland Road and Kirkdale Area

I work for the Scottie Press and we are looking for items of local interest for our paper and website. Has your eldest won a scholarship to Oxford is your gran 101, local pub teams won a cup, outings, charity events anything and everything that may be of local interest. Pictures old and new are also most welcome. I can be contacted at
    crogan@scottiepress.org and I welcome contributions from young and old alike, anything will be looked at although I cannot guarantee that I will be able to publish everything. It's not the *** after all.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spress View Post
    It's not the *** after all.
    I'm intrigued as to what the offensive three letter word is that's been removed. Could it be the name of the Rupert's rag that besmirched Liverpool supporters at Hillsborough?

To keep on topic, This morning I drove up Fountains Road and saw my old local the Kendal Castle had just been demolished along with what was left of the school.

Lot's of people lined Westminster Rd crying their eyes out.

Yes oddsocks, I should imagine that the 3 letter word, (which in our house is a swear word) does have something to do with the Hillsborough events.

Pennylane

Quote Originally Posted by Oddsocks View Post
    I'm intrigued as to what the offensive three letter word is that's been removed. Could it be the name of the Rupert's rag that besmirched Liverpool supporters at Hillsborough?

To keep on topic, This morning I drove up Fountains Road and saw my old local the Kendal Castle had just been demolished along with what was left of the school.

Lot's of people lined Westminster Rd crying their eyes out.
    Kirkdale is only a shadow of the community it once was

The Kendall has been gone for a year or so now. The whole Easby estate is coming down for new housing. I learned to swim in Wessy Road baths and saw Everton stay up in the old bill pub (ex bridewell) when locked out the game at 2.20pm.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

My mum was born in Fountains Road Kirkdale, back in the early 1900s. She was from a large family.(Which were usual in those days) They lived in a large victorian house. She used to have to clean/whiten the steps outside the front door, this was her chore. That she had to do. Her father was a stoker on The Lusitania, so her mum or ma, as she called her. Depended on her older sons to help out alot, whilst her husband was away at sea.

All over Liverpool famous old watering holes have, or are being demolished. The Town Planners have gone berserk, they're tearing the place down.
    Big empty spaces are all that's left of old neighbourhoods. Old timers knew these spaces as the Debris or Bomdies it's a reference to the blitz.

"Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
    Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away"
    John Prine, 'Paradise'

Pennylane

Quote Originally Posted by lindac8941 View Post
    My mum was born in Fountains Road Kirkdale, back in the early 1900s. She was from a large family.(Which were usual in those days) They lived in a large victorian house. She used to have to clean/whiten the steps outside the front door, this was her chore. That she had to do. Her father was a stoker on The Lusitania, so her mum or ma, as she called her. Depended on her older sons to help out alot, whilst her husband was away at sea.
    My Dad was born in Fonthill road , my Nanna and Grandad lived there until they died , it was the big house at the top of ' the brew' .

I have heard my mum talk about fonthill road, many a time, but dont know it, my mum, when she was young, used to drink all along Walton/County road. The Salutation was one of the pubs, is that still there???

Pennylane

I have heard my mum talk about fonthill road, many a time, but dont know it, my mum, when she was young, used to drink all along Walton/County road. The Salutation was one of the pubs, is that still there???
    Fonthill road runs from Fountains road , through to Melrose Road .. Rumney Road cuts across it too .. My little girls dad was born in North Dingle , his Mother was born in Fountains road , i remember sitting on their step with his aunties and his mum , when was little , they used to mind me while my dad went for a pint with his mates ..

I remember Fountains road, as my brother lived in Freeland Street when I was young, so I was always in the Walton area. I know my mum lived near the bottom of Fountains Road, not Walton Road end, but dont know whereabouts or the number of the house.

Pennylane

I remember Fountains road, as my brother lived in Freeland Street when I was young, so I was always in the Walton area. I know my mum lived near the bottom of Fountains Road, not Walton Road end, but dont know whereabouts or the number of the house.
    I know where you mean Linda , there will be photo's on Geds site , there is one of my Nanna's house on there .

It's not the *** after all.
    Thanks
    Sorry, but I don't get it either: the implication (if we are talking about that newspaper) is that that organ 'publishes everything'. Shome mishtake, shurely?

I work for the Scottie Press and we are looking for items of local interest for our paper and website. Has your eldest won a scholarship to Oxford is your gran 101, local pub teams won a cup, outings, charity events anything and everything that may be of local interest. Pictures old and new are also most welcome. I can be contacted at
    crogan@scottiepress.org and I welcome contributions from young and old alike, anything will be looked at although I cannot guarantee that I will be able to publish everything. It's not the *** after all.
    Thanks
    Sorry dont know your first name, however its nice to know you have taken over the mantle of a good informative local paper, I'm sure you will get good snippets of interest from the forum members, Scotland Road and the Vauxhall and Kirkdale areas always topics of interest. I drove down Vauxhall Road yesterday , what are they digging up near to the Eldonian estate ,(Old T&L site) , I know lots of locals asking the same question.

Good Luck,

Hello,

This i sreally good. i also like this area very much i been there one time and it is really good to be there.

thanks!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast