Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Orange Parade, London Road 1969

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    There are Orange orders throughout the world too:
    Australia, Canada, Ghana, Togo, Nigeria, New Zealand, USA.
    Thanks lindylou..yes that is correct
    I think the poster seemed to realise there are good and bad on both sides
    It is important to remember our heritage.
    This has been lost to the English who have the atitude of look afetr yourself first.
    unlike the Jewish faith or the muslim people
    they all look after their own.

I am not talking of immedite family now
    I am talking of people of your own background.

so the poster does not like the Orange Order, well thats fine each to their own
    but dont tell English people to go and live in Ulster
    who does she think she is Queen Elizabeth
    thats how it all kicked of over there in the first place
    English Welsh and Scots settlers, sent by a Protestant Head to take the land from the indigenous peoples

Hmm, sounds familer, are we now getting payback for what our fourbares did.

I knew there were some pics somewhere - - I just found 'em.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...ge-Lodge-march

Quote Originally Posted by bluescouse1 View Post
    You do seem very bitter
    So The Orange Order should not be bitter
    yet you can be.
    If you read up on this, you would realise that member of the Royal Family were actualy part of the Orange Order.
    I don't remember any of the guys shouting at Catholic schools or kids as we marched during the 60s
    I was child back then by the way.
    It is about remebering our heritage
    Oh I'm sorry
    English people are not allowed heritage are they.

Unfortunately, I do remember the shouting... and as a youngster in the 60's I remember more anti-catholic speech than anti-black.

The vicar of St. Marys used to go to my gran to find out who the catholic families were in the nearby streets so he could skip the houses as he visited.

Earlier than that in the 30's, my father said he couldn't join his local Boy Scouts because he lived on the protestant side of the street (Tuebrook) and it was a Catholic troop.

I do think it was part of Liverpool culture in the 60's and earlier, whether we like it or not...

Blog Entries

Religion is all in the mind. Kinship is what counts.

Quote Originally Posted by bluescouse1 View Post
    You do seem very bitter
    So The Orange Order should not be bitter
    yet you can be.
    If you read up on this, you would realise that member of the Royal Family were actualy part of the Orange Order.
    I don't remember any of the guys shouting at Catholic schools or kids as we marched during the 60s
    I was child back then by the way.
    It is about remebering our heritage
    Oh I'm sorry
    English people are not allowed heritage are they.
    I'm a Protestant (Independent Baptist) as are my wife and both children. The Orange Order has nothing at all to do with my heritage either as a Protestant or as a British person. I've never understood all that fawning over the Royal parasites or the desire to wave a flag made up of religious symbols (the cross of this or that so-called 'saint') because idol worship has nothing to do with Christianity whatsoever. Most of these Orangemen never darken the doorstep of any church unless they're dragged along a couple of times a year behind a band.
    BUT! If they wish to belong to the fan club of a Dutch skeleton who was killed by a mole, let them. If others wish to worship a biscuit and imagine some mystic mumbling a few words over it turns it into the actual body of Christ, let them.
    I know enough about the Orange Order to know it wasn't originally an Irish organisation but only became prominent there after the so-called Battle of the Diamond in 1795. I know enough about it to know it had very many members of parliament and army officers within its ranks so could hardly be said that the middle-class wanted nothing to do with it. I also know, because it's quite easy to find out, their secret rituals, handshakes and degrees which are based closely on Freemasonry. In principle, they are not supposed to hate Roman Catholics, but in practise many of them do. I don't like the organisation and as my dad used to say about them "An Orangeman is someone who wouldn't be seen dead in a Roman Catholic church or alive in a Protestant one." He wasn't far off the mark.

"An Orangeman is someone who wouldn't be seen dead in a Roman Catholic church or alive in a Protestant one." He wasn't far off the mark

Ha,ha,excellent quote! The dutch skeleton/biscuit analogies illustrate that it takes all sorts!!

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Unfortunately, I do remember the shouting... and as a youngster in the 60's I remember more anti-catholic speech than anti-black.

The vicar of St. Marys used to go to my gran to find out who the catholic families were in the nearby streets so he could skip the houses as he visited.

Earlier than that in the 30's, my father said he couldn't join his local Boy Scouts because he lived on the protestant side of the street (Tuebrook) and it was a Catholic troop.

I do think it was part of Liverpool culture in the 60's and earlier, whether we like it or not...
    Ged made a recent post re' Daisy st. school,which was both Catholic,and Protestant! My Mrs used to go there,and remembers no problems at the school itself,but outside,had it emphasised by some adults,why this was so!My own memories were/are similar,in the sense that I was told we were different(better!) but I never gave it much credence,though there were some older people around, who took it very seriously!

I know enough about the Orange Order to know it wasn't originally an Irish organisation but only became prominent there after the so-called Battle of the Diamond in 1795.
    Could have sworn that LOL was to celebrate the Battle of the Boyne 1690?

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Battle of the Diamond in 1795.
    Actually that was when the Orange Order was founded

Actually that was when the Orange Oder was founded.

Is that some sort of smell,George?

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    This did go on many years ago. Naming no names, but there was a church youth club where you couldn't join if you were not a Catholic.

My dad tells me that there were certain places of employment where you wouldn't get a job if you were a different religion.
    I even remember some of this in the 1960's in certain shops.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Samsette View Post
    Religion is all in the mind. Kinship is what counts.

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    My own memories were/are similar,in the sense that I was told we were different(better!) but I never gave it much credence,though there were some older people around, who took it very seriously!
    yes, definitely. I remember the older generation (my grandparents generation) who thought like this.

There was also snobbery about different districts too. We are better than them lot from down there kind if thing
    I used to have heated arguments with my nan many a time - she could be a terrible snob at times, ha,ha.

This did go on many years ago. Naming no names, but there was a church youth club where you couldn't join if you were not a Catholic.
    Em! its still like this today ie in Marriage...some parents are devout catholics and object to the Protestant relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Could have sworn that LOL was to celebrate the Battle of the Boyne 1690?

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Actually that was when the Orange Order was founded

The Orange Association was formed in Exeter Cathedral in 1688, but you're quite right is saying the Orange Order (as we know it today) was founded after the Battle of the Diamond.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123