Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Central Village Liverpool City Center

Quote Originally Posted by naked lilac View Post
    Uh.. Waterways... You also have names of famous people in Stars on the promenade in Otterspool I believe.. In fact .. I took some photos of them and hear ,they too, are being restored.. Also, you don't have to be dead to be recognised for your achievements in life...

Lindy.. I think your ideas are worthy...

Its Liverpool city council policy as far as I know - no new developments to be named after living people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    Its Liverpool city council policy as far as I know - no new developments to be named after living people.
    Does Bruce Forsyth count? He really has been dead for years.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    Wow.. can't the artistic deserving "living" people, enjoy a builiding? Sounds a bit strange that decision of the council.. but, okie dokie~ Thanks for letting me know that.. I rest my case
    Last edited by naked lilac; 01-09-2008 at 04:32 AM.

Whats the latest with the central village?

Quote Originally Posted by jay2410 View Post
    Whats the latest with the central village?
    there's images here http://centralvillageliverpool.com/

and this site gives updates on all the building going onhttp://www.liverpoolvision.co.uk/news/news.asp
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Blog Entries

£180m Liverpool Central Village scheme set to start in autumn

WORK ON the first phase of the £180m Central Village scheme over Liverpool’s Central station is set to start in autumn. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

"Central station is the third busiest underground station in the UK, but it’s a little hole in the ground at the end of a little shopping mall. We’re going to drive sun and light into the station."
    I assume they mean outside of London

Would sincerely hope so, otherwise they must hide all those extra commuters very well.

I'm still concerned about the disappearance of the shops on Newington. I'm not against, big towers, flats for the wealthy and globalised architecture per se. But I am against the conspiracy of big developers and retailers to reduce the individuality of cities in order that their 'anywhere' products will be a much easier sell... and their half-baked ideas that removal of smaller buildings and local shops can't be avoided.

I work in a field related to the development industry and have been in meetings with a number of these big cheeses and can confirm that many of them have a very personal contempt for small businesses and their customers. I can't say for sure that this contempt leads to the behaviour I described above but I suspect that it does.
    Last edited by scottieroader; 04-28-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    The city or country they come from is irrelevant. If you want to name buildings after artistic people then they should be from anywhere. Liverpool was and still is the port for America.

Daniel Craig, the new James Bond, is local enough as he was brought up on the Wirral and lived in Liverpool at one time. All the James Bond actors could have a tower named after them.
    How about we call them McGough and Henri (I know, McGough isn't dead) or Jay and Silent Bob... those would be awesome names for towers.

Default Central Village

How about....'Scholes' & 'Neville'....two people that really love the City!!

Blog Entries

http://liverpoolcentralvillage.com/

Still waiting for this scheme to begin......
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Proposal submitted for city hotel

The four-star hotel would cost £50m to develop

Plans have been submitted for a luxury four-star hotel in Liverpool next to the former Lewis's department store.

Developers Merepark are hoping to transform the Watson building and a neighbouring store on Renshaw Street in the city into a 180-bed hotel.

They say that an international operator has been secured for the project, which would cost about £50m.

In February plans were unveiled to turn the nine-storey Lewis's building into a £105m "leisure destination".

If planning permission is granted later this year, a hotel, cinema, bars, restaurants and shops will be built within the Grade II premises.

The plans, which could create up to 1,000 extra jobs, also include a new open pedestrian street which leads out onto a new plaza and connects into the Central Village development in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    http://liverpoolcentralvillage.com/

Still waiting for this scheme to begin......
    It's good too see Merepark are still buying up property around this development,this will be amazing when it's finished,Liverpool's going to be transformed beyond recognition.

Default Here's another example of this.

Frustrated Rapid puts premises up for sale
    May 14 2008 by Barry Turnbull, Liverpool Daily Post

THE frustrated boss of city centre store Rapid Hardware last night hit out at developers who have failed to table an offer for the DIY firm’s premises.

Managing director Martin Doherty has become fed up of interested parties simply "sniffing around" and has decided to put the city store on the market.

The company has to sell the red-brick row of knocked-through shops before it can move into John Lewis's store, in Church Street. John Lewis, in turn, is moving into a new building in the soon-to-open Liverpool One shopping scheme.

In the meantime, Rapid’s nearby former paint store, which was sold to Merepark last year, is to form part of a four-star hotel development in neighbouring £160m Central Village scheme.

Mr Doherty said: "We have had discussions with a number of people about various schemes such as a student village.

“Merepark have been sniffing around but haven't come up with a concrete offer so we need to look at our options and will be going to the market shortly."

Merepark bought the paintstore and were thought to be interested in the rest of the site, which is expected to be valued at tens of millions of pounds.

Ian Jones, director of Merepark, said: “I can confirm we are in discussions with Rapid Hardware over its Renshaw Street site. We can not comment further at this stage.”

A city retail property agent said: "It is a big site, so anyone wanting to redevelop would have to weigh up the costs very care- fully. It would be no use knocking down and replacing with similar buildings, for value you would need to build tall."

Rapid's properties extend along Renshaw Street and into Bold Street. The company declined to detail the value of the site.

Yesterday, Merepark and joint venture partner Ballymore submitted plans for extend a Grade II listed building into a four-star hotel. The Watson building, formerly part of Lewis’s on Renshaw Street, and the neighbouring former Rapid Hardware paint shop, were acquired by joint venture vehicle Central Regeneration.

The 70,000 sq ft Watson building will be extended onto the site of the former paint shop to form a 170,000 sq ft, 180 bedroom, four star-plus hotel designed by international architects Woods Bagot.Š An intern- ational hotel operator has already been secured.

The scheme’s approval would secure a further £50m investment for the city centre.

Mr Jones added: “Working closely with our architects, Woods Bagot, we have developed a scheme which responds well to the local surroundings and provides another dynamic link to Central Village.

“Sustainability is at the centre of our vision and we’re confident that this proposal, combined with our plans for the Lewis’s building and Central Village, will result in an exciting mixed-use quarter that brings new purpose and opportunity to the city.”

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast