Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Central Village Liverpool City Center

Blog Entries

A STUNNING redesign of a rundown spot in Liverpool city centre is set to be approved after months of discussion.

Plans for a gleaming glass tower rising above Bold Street have been ditched, but the Central Station scheme is now likely to go ahead.

Heritage experts had pledged to block the scheme because its main feature, a 38-floor skyscraper, would overshadow the historic Rope Walks.

But a new version of the project is now set to be given the go-ahead by Liverpool council.

The skyscraper has been replaced by two 25 and 20-storey buildings, containing about 300 flats.

They will sit alongside a 159-bedroom hotel, two smaller apartment blocks, underground car park, public square and canal-style water feature on the currently derelict site.

Council planners believe the scheme, called Central Village, will transform the area parallel to Renshaw Street and breathe fresh life into the station.

But it still faces significant opposition before it gets the final go-ahead from councillors next week.

Several city centre businesses, Merseytravel bosses and heritage groups have big concerns.

Merseytravel wants developer Central Regeneration to contribute towards a planned revamp of the station, including new ticket barriers and a link between Central Village and the concourse.

It also wants guarantees:

* The project will not affect the station's operation or future expansion.
    * Nearby roads will be able to handle extra traffic.
    * The canal water feature will not flood the railway.
    * The 350-space car park will not affect the station's ventilation.

But the plan has the support of regeneration organisation Liverpool Vision and English Heritage.

The council's planning committee will make the final decision next Tuesday.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Snap!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Seems we both posted that story at the same time so I've deleted mine, Excellent news isn't it Kev,everyone prefered the last proposal but this is better than the original proposal so we should now just embrace this since this is the one we're getting,the public realm part of this development looks unbelievable so I'm really looking forward to it but on the down side I'm not a lover of those towers it has to be said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D
    Seems we both posted that story at the same time so I've deleted mine, Excellent news isn't it Kev,everyone prefered the last proposal but this is better than the original proposal so we should now just embrace this since this is the one we're getting,the public realm part of this development looks unbelievable so I'm really looking forward to it but on the down side I'm not a lover of those towers it has to be said.
    Embrace them, thats the spirit When I'm in The Central (pub) I shall look up into the sky and look at how the view will change. Its in such a prominent position too. I actually like 'em both. Obviously would have liked the first one but the two we are getting still look nice to me. But then some have said I have caught that EH virus
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Well I've asked B4mmy off SSC because he's worked on this project what he thought about it and he's eased my fears about the towers,here's what he had to say.

Yes I do support it, yes I have worked on it.

To start with, the planners have only asked for impact visuals so far, to give them an idea of massing and some regard to detail. There is likely to be another presentation following approval, if given, where the towers will be further articulated. It is premature to write them off at this stage because from what I know of the scheme there is beauty in the finer detail. Also, glass is notoriously difficult to visualise, eg: see the visuals for Beetham, Manchester - which look nothing like the final build in terms of colour and shine. It may well be that the materials will be further clarified for the next set of visuals. Even though we have some comprehensive visuals for the overall scheme, we have not yet set about demonstrating its finer points. It will be an expensive building to construct and the materials used will be of the highest quality. I believe that the final building will have a great deal of weight and substance, and when all the details are made public I think most people will see the finer aspects of it. I have read all the posts that express disappointment, but the site has gone through so many knock backs I think it will be an achievement just to get planning for a development of this scale, in this extremely difficult and complex location. On this point alone the developer and architect should be applauded. I assure you that after all this time and effort it is highly unlikely that a 'milton keynes' block appearance will be the final solution. There is a hugely talented team behind the project and I feel very positive about it. I've met a few people on the forum here and I assure you I would not publicly say this if I did not believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    LIVERPOOL'S £160m Central Village scheme now looks almost certain to go ahead after the developer agreed to lower the height of the 38-storey tower.

In a compromise deal, developer Central Regeneration has now proposed to build two smaller towers to replace the original 38-storey structure.

Two 25-storey and 20-storey towers will now be built. It is hoped this will satisfy the main objector, English Heritage, which was concerned about the impact the original design would have on the city's skyline.

The new design, unveiled yesterday, was put together following consultation with Liverpool City Council, Liverpool Vision, English Heritage and the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE).

The rest of the 600,000 sq ft scheme will remain unchanged including the large areas of public realm and retail space. A planning application will now be submitted to the city council.

Central Regeneration - a collaboration between established developers Merepark and Ballymore - aims to create a mixed-use scheme that will include residential, retail and leisure space and a hotel.

Merepark director Richard Peel said: "Over the last few months we have had a very meaningful and productive dialogue with Liverpool City Council, English Heritage, CABE and Liverpool Vision to find a way forward which would be acceptable to all parties, while maintaining the commercial viability of the scheme and the positive effect it will have on the area.

"We have been very impressed with the professional approach and commitment from all interested parties including English Heritage, the city council and Liverpool Vision in working towards an improved solution.

"The revised plans are undoubtedly an improvement to the application and continue to mark a £160m investment in Liver pool."

When construction does finally get under way it will bring an end to a saga that has dragged on for nearly two years.

Ballymore acquired the site from Network Rail in 2002 and later put forward proposals for a £100m, 200,000 sq ft scheme,

featuring a 30-storey tower. However, English Heritage and Liverpool Vision were unhappy with the proposals and told the developer to revise its plan.

A further complication arose in 2004 when a legal dispute with Network Rail over "air rights" threatened to derail the project.

This was eventually settled and late last year Central Regeneration came up with a plan it believed would please all parties. However, English Heritage then lodged its objection leading the city council to indicate it would not pass the plan.

Yesterday Liverpool Vision welcomed the revised plans. Chief executive Jim Gill said: "The Central Village scheme will make a huge, positive difference to a part of the city centre which has seen too little investment for too long. It is another example of renewed developer and investor confidence in the city. The scheme has our full support and, subject to planning permission, we look forward to a start later this year."

tonymcdonough@dailypost.co.uk

Would it be ok to use that carpark though for it?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Would it be ok to use that carpark though for it?
    The new development would include a car park so that's not a problem.

Wish they never had to take 13 storey's off though.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Thumbs up Ah well, better than another poke in the eye.

Finally some good news. Still looks like an interesting development. Hopefully the last casualty of the ridiculous 'tall buildings policy'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gerrydoyle
    Finally some good news. Still looks like an interesting development. Hopefully the last casualty of the ridiculous 'tall buildings policy'
    I've seen the renders first hand Gerry (not on the net) and they do look very nice.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D
    Well I've asked B4mmy off SSC because he's worked on this project what he thought about it and he's eased my fears about the towers,here's what he had to say.
    Alright Paul. There seems to be a bit of kerfuffle going on so I've come over to wind a few of you up and check out whats going on over here.
    just checking you lot out

Quote Originally Posted by b4mmy
    Alright Paul. There seems to be a bit of kerfuffle going on so I've come over to wind a few of you up and check out whats going on over here.
    Alright B4mmy you wont get any hassle over here were more mellow on yoliverpool.

Speak for yourself Paul!

Alright B4mmy, yeh big ***** *** **** *********!!!
    Who was the greatest of them all?
    Little, Curly, Alan Ball.
    R.I.P. Bally.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by b4mmy
    Hi b4mmy, cheers for your support and signing up.

Meanwhile, another day passes and good news for Central Village it seems:

THE £160m scheme to create a village in the heart of Liverpool is set to be given the go-ahead within days.

It has been hailed as one of Liverpool's biggest regeneration schemes, centred around Central Station and Bold Street.

Despite strong objections to the so-called Central Village, a revised scheme now looks almost certain to be given the go ahead at next Tuesday's meeting of Liverpool City Council's Planning Committee.

A fortnight ago the planning committee, led by chairwoman Cllr Lady Doreen Jones, visited the area.

City planning officers are recommending approval of the revised development, even though objections have been lodged by neighbouring Lewis's and Rapid Hardware. The most serious objection comes from the heritage watchdog agency, CABE, the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment.

CABE has welcomed the lower-height buildings, and considers the proposed lay-out is of merit, but says it still has fundamental concerns about the scheme.

"We do not consider that towers of this dominance are right in this location. Concerns are such that support cannot be given for this proposal," CABE officials have told the council.

Originally developers Central Regeneration proposed two landmark towers, the highest 38 storeys high but there was major opposition.

Instead, smaller towers will be built to satisfy opposition from one of the main objectors, the government heritage agency, English Heritage. They had expressed concerned about the impact of the original design on the city's famous skyline.

Revised designs were put together following meetings with the city council, Liverpool Vision, English Heritage and CABE, The Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment.

Now, the revised scheme comprises of five glazed structures, the highest 25 storeys and the others, 20 floors, two nine-storey buildings and a five-storey structure. The buildings will run parallel with Renshaw Street, and take in the site behind Lewis's, where there will be two linked residential towers.

The development will include a nine-storey, 159-bed hotel, more than 400 apartments, shops, bars and restaurants.

Neighbouring businesses and the local Area Committees are objecting to the development. The council's area committee strongly object on the grounds that the scheme represents over-development on the site.

The owners of Lewis's department store have welcomed the regeneration around Central Station area but are concerned that the new site does little to integrate with the famous store, and effectively will be "turning its back" on Lewis's.

The store owners also say the two taller buildings would have a huge impact on the sunlight entering the store, and extensive building work on the development would mean massive disruptions for the chain.

Egg Restaurant, in Newington, say that the nine storey hotel block, sited on the opposite side of Cropper Street, will be "overbearing"
    City centre regeneration company Liverpool Vision said: "Quality is a key issue in this scheme. It's essential that quality is maintained in the design and the facades.

"The pedestrian link to Central Station is essential connecting the development to the main retail area via the station and Clayton Square. The regeneration success of the scheme depends on this access being delivered."

English Heritage has now dropped its previous objection.
    Last edited by Kev; 06-28-2006 at 09:49 AM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

This is great news. I don't care about the previous proposal anymore. This is going to make a huge difference to the area- 5 very large buildings, excellent public realm, new uses bringing people into the area and increasing activity, and connections between Renshaw and Bold St. This will make a massive world of difference to the city centre. Nobody should underestimate that.

20 and 25 storey buildings are not remotely small when you're stood at the foot of them. These may not be massive scrapers, but that doesn't bother me one jot. Hopefully the facades will be of a very high standard.

Get it built.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast