Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: St. Peter's Church, Church Street

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here is a picture of St Peters, source unknown to me

And here is a picture of the cross in the pavement in Church street where the high altar once stood.

PhilipG

Default The Cross in Church Street.

I know David Lewis in his book "Churches of Liverpool" says that the cross is on the site of the High Altar of St Peter's.
    The truth is that the cross is just there to remind passers-by of the church, and while it might just be inside the former grounds of the church, the church itself was set further back.
    As this map shows.

Extract from Alan Godfrey reprint of the OS Liverpool Sheet 29, 1848-64.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St_Peters.jpg 
Views:	1077 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	801  

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    I know David Lewis in his book "Churches of Liverpool" says that the cross is on the site of the High Altar of St Peter's.
    The truth is that the cross is just there to remind passers-by of the church, and while it might just be inside the former grounds of the church, the church itself was set further back.
    As this map shows.

Hi Philip

That is my understanding as well, Philip.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Philip

That is my understanding as well, Philip.

Chris
    Yes, it's a case of "when the legend becomes greater than the truth, print the legend".
    I might be mis-quoting somewhat!

"Churches of Liverpool" should be bought for the photos, not for the text.
    I'm mis-quoting again, but that was one of the reviews.

theninesisters

A bit of info on the bells from St Peters:

• 1704: Church consecrated

• 1707: Back four bells cast

• 1724: Front four bells cast

• 1800: The first peal in Liverpool was rung here. Grandsire Triples.

• 1830: Bells dispersed when the 1830 peal was erected. Three of the 1707 bells were sent to St John, Knotty Ash (35½” the fifth), St Catherine Abercromby Square (36½” the sixth) and the tenor bell was sent to St Augustine Everton (52”). One of the 1724 bells found its way to St. John Liverpool (39”). The bell at St Catherine Abercromby Square had been broken up by 1928 (Cheetham) and the church demolished in 1966. St. Augustine Everton was destroyed by enemy bombing in May 1941 and St. John Liverpool was demolished in 1899 - the site now occupied by St. George’s Hall.
    The bell at St. John Knotty Ash still exists.

The new 1830 ring of bells was first rung on Sunday April 11th 1830, the original 1830 trebles were recast in 1839 as the were found too weak

• 1905: Last peal at St Peter’s.

• c1920: The bells were removed from the tower by Taylor’s. After being stored both at Taylor’s and Mears’ and after tuning they were rehung at St. Helens Parish Church, although it was considered for a while to hang them at St. Barnabas Penny Lane, but this did not come to fruition as the vicar of Penny Lane at the time thought the tower not strong enough.

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
    A bit of info on the bells from St Peters:

• 1704: Church consecrated

• 1707: Back four bells cast

• 1724: Front four bells cast

• 1800: The first peal in Liverpool was rung here. Grandsire Triples.

• 1830: Bells dispersed when the 1830 peal was erected. Three of the 1707 bells were sent to St John, Knotty Ash (35½” the fifth), St Catherine Abercromby Square (36½” the sixth) and the tenor bell was sent to St Augustine Everton (52”). One of the 1724 bells found its way to St. John Liverpool (39”). The bell at St Catherine Abercromby Square had been broken up by 1928 (Cheetham) and the church demolished in 1966. St. Augustine Everton was destroyed by enemy bombing in May 1941 and St. John Liverpool was demolished in 1899 - the site now occupied by St. George’s Hall.
    The bell at St. John Knotty Ash still exists.

The new 1830 ring of bells was first rung on Sunday April 11th 1830, the original 1830 trebles were recast in 1839 as the were found too weak

• 1905: Last peal at St Peter’s.

• c1920: The bells were removed from the tower by Taylor’s. After being stored both at Taylor’s and Mears’ and after tuning they were rehung at St. Helens Parish Church, although it was considered for a while to hang them at St. Barnabas Penny Lane, but this did not come to fruition as the vicar of Penny Lane at the time thought the tower not strong enough.
    you and your bells!!

theninesisters

It's all good and rare information

I like the story about nobody being able to decide on the design for the doorways so they used all four. Two can be seen in this picture - one with a full pediment and one with a broken one.

The cross is interesting in the pavement because church street is actually much wider than it was when the church was there and I wonder what was located above the cross. It is at least in the churchyard area if not below a wall or something. Would be interesting to see 2 maps overlayed.

Default The Brass Maltese Cross, Church Street, Liverpool

The brass cross that was embedded in a granite block as part of the kerb stone in Church St, has always been part of my family history.

If Dear Reader, you will recall, that during the 50's and 60's an oldish man stood with a religious banner right on that very spot.

On Saturday 25th October 2008, I visited Liverpool City centre and checked out the cross. In fact, the cross is a Maltese cross and not a conventional cross.

I discovevered that the cross in now located almost in the entrance of the new shopping arcade. I was able to take some photos with my daughters, a third generation from the craftsman who made the cross, my grandfather.

His name was Samuel Pilkington, and was a 'White Smith' working for the Liverpool Corporation based in Breckside Park just off Lower Breck Road, Anfield.

Sam worked for the 'Corpy' all his life, alongside fellow corporation Pavers, who were 'Taylor's' from my mother's side of the family. The original location of the cross was on the Kerb edge of Church St oppoosite the Tatler Cinema. It remained there from when Church St was first designed in the 1920's through until the area was pedestrianised.

Then the cross was moved further towards the shop fronts, and then it disappeared under builders hoardings until its new location.

The Maltese cross was made from brass that had been part of the alter rail from St Peter's Church, the Pro-Cathedral.

It's probable that the paver who carved the recess in the granite block for the cross, was also a relative of mine. I wonder how many people will notice a small brass cross embedded into the new pavement? 'Far too busy dashing backwards and forwards'. I recall there was a plaque on the wall of Woolworths Store in the 1950's - is there any reference to the cross now?

My grandfather (Pop) still has a son who may know more, if so, i'll come back to you on that. I've not lived on Merseyside for some years, as now living in Cumbria, but whenever I do return, I always look for the cross.

I'm in my three score and thirteenth year and note that Liverpool has changed so much in that time.

Ex-city centre worker throughout the 1950's - just my patch!

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

WOW excellent info there Brian, Looking forward to more.

PS for those who dont know.

His name was Samuel Pilkington, and was a 'White Smith'
    A whitesmith is a person who works with "white" or light-colored metals such as tin and pewter. While blacksmiths work mostly with hot metal, whitesmiths do the majority of their work on cold metal (although they might use a forge to shape their raw materials).
    The term is also applied to metalworkers who do only finishing work - such as filing or polishing - on iron and other "black" metals.

From Wikipedia.
    Last edited by drone_pilot; 10-27-2008 at 01:15 AM.
    multi multa; nemo omnia novit

Thanks for the post Brian. I love the cross and to hear the history about it is great. Because it had been hidden for so long, I myself checked it out just last week. Ever since I was a child walking down Church Street, I've always looked out for the cross because it really is part of our heritage.

Blog Entries

Hi Philip,
    You are right about Churches of Liverpool. It does suffer from a number of factual inaccuracies and I was never entirely happy with it. The major problem was the lack of an index - which makes navigate the book very frustrating. I am planning a revised book - with many new photos (again I was disappointed with the printing - it was in the early days of digital photography and there is quite a bit of bitmapping).
    How is Tramride to Walton[/I] coming on. Still interested.

Default Answers and questions.

Hi guys my first post and im not from Liverpool (sorry)

Firstly I am an architecture student and i am doing my dissertation on churches and I can tell you why St Peters does not "line up" with the street. This is to do with the alter facing exactly east in the direction of Bethlehem. I also have a question as I am currently doing a theoretical project on church street which is partially about remembering the church which is the founding of the streets name ( I assume). I am wondering what the church was built out of I suspect it is either portland stone or sandstone but im not sure and it would greatly help me with my project? I very much enjoyed reading this thread and found the information about the keys on the old woolworths building and the Maltese Cross on the floor of particular interest, I hadnt noticed them when i was there. It is a shame that they are so easy to walk past and not notice as the church was the founding of the street. I hope my answer is of interest and that someone knows the answer to my question.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    As this map shows.

That map has 'Tarlton Street' on it. Isn't it Tarleton Street (with an 'e') nowadays?

PhilipG

Default History of St Peter's.

Paul has compiled a very comprehensive history on toxteth.net:

http://www.toxteth.net/places/liverp...t%20peters.htm

I made a small contribution.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast