I was reading Ged`s intro in his book "In A City Living 3" he is telling us about games he played as a kid. it was a great read and got me thinking of my own childhood games. it really brought it all back to me. I had a chat with Ged telling him a few of my own memories. its a great topic, so has anyone got any old memories to share?

here goes...

curby was very popular as was sardines and Hide and seek. I remember playing football in the dark, you could not see a thing. we also had Childwall woods with the Old Childwall house. a wall still stood and we of course called it a Castle. it had a moat as well. i remember a gravestone in Childwall woods to a Dog? i wonder if its still there and what the story was? We also played in All saints church( though always had respect). around aged 12 you would sign up as a helper at Childwall riding stables. you would clean horse poo all day for a few free rides. i liked it so much i was still working with Horses aged 26. and Wheathill farm was amazing. we would run through the Cornies(corn field. not sure if it was corn like?) it was about 6 feet in height and you would run for ages and then fall over on your back, we felt like we where in an american movie. we would fish for the sticklebacks in the farm ponds. one year we built a raft(loonies i know) it lasted all summer.

In the holidays i would stay with my grandparents for a couple of weeks. they lived in Northumberland Street in the Dingle. all my cousins lived in the area so i had ready made mates. i loved to watch the ships on the river. we would go to the Albert dock. all downtrodden then. i still remember playing on most of the things there. The docks where full to the top of some horrible sludge and had dead pigeans in them. i remember playing in the Piermasters house, it had no upstairs. we also played in the Dingles Bombdies.

School days out where Southport, Ness Gardens and once they took us to York.
I was Tiny Tim in one school play and the Artful Dodger in another. Right show off i was(still am)

I was laughing with Ged about Birmingham bags trousers and spooney shoes.

c`mon give us some memories