Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Liverpool's Original Seven Streets

Certainly could have been in the 80s when I worked in Shipping in Dale st. Tower buildings, India buildings and Silkhouse Court were full to the gunnels with shipping lines and agents, don't know so much about now though?

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Found this booklet in the Athenaeum library yesterday. Interesting read.
    The Antiquity of Some Liverpool Streets
    R. Saunders Jones, 1927

Just spotted this post Dave. very fascinating. R Saunders Jones was a second generation Welshman living in Garston. Another one of those who intergrated. From memory I believe he was a local bank manager in St Mary's Rd.

Blog Entries

An update.

Informed today that the Council, along with Christina Clarke, Brenda Murray, Florence Gersten and Robin Riley have agreed to the wording to be put on the plaques for Liverpool's original seven streets. The council have also agreed to lift a york stone or granite flagstone up on each street and have it engraved with an emblem indicating the seven streets. The whole thing will be completed by August 2007.

There's also going to be a conference at the Town Hall on May 1st, hopefully with up to one thousand companies who have businesses in the seven streets. I've queried this figure, as I can't see how they could fit that many into the Town Hall. A few of us are organising a stand there with info about the seven streets.

Also Colin Harrison from the Chamber of Commerce has suggested organising a photo exhibition of the buildings in the seven streets, but this is still early days. I've got more than enough photos, but may shoot a few more just in case.
    Thats great news Dave - thanks for the info.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

scouserdave

Cheers Kev. Taffy, thanks for the info. I'll pass this on to Pat Neil when I ring him later.

Blog Entries

Does anyone do a tour around these 7 streets at the mo?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

scouserdave

I think Pat Neil from www.liverpoolmonuments.co.uk has done one in the past. I'll ask him later if he's got anymore planned.

BTW, he's involved in one tomorrow over at Birkenhead. They'll be looking at the houses around Hamilton Sq, before moving on to Port Sunlight.

I have just put five videos on YouTube of the Town Hall. They were made during the open day of 25th August 2006. Not the best quality but.....

Part one

Part Two

Part three

Part four

Part five.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by A. D. Williams View Post
    I have just put five videos on YouTube of the Town Hall. They were made during the open day of 25th August 2006. Not the best quality but.....

Part one

Part Two

Part three

Part four

Part five.

Dave, fantastic videos
    Is there any chance I could use them please? Pat Neil from www.liverpoolmonuments.co.uk edits our www.liverpools7streets.co.uk and I know he'd love them to be part of the website.

The last time I had a walk around the Town Hall was as a 9 year old. Our teacher (New Hutte, Halewood) at the time, Mrs Allen was the daughter of the Lord Mayor, Herbert Allen.

Dave, fantastic videos
    Is there any chance I could use them please? Pat Neil from www.liverpoolmonuments.co.uk edits our www.liverpools7streets.co.uk and I know he'd love them to be part of the website.

The last time I had a walk around the Town Hall was as a 9 year old. Our teacher (New Hutte, Halewood) at the time, Mrs Allen was the daughter of the Lord Mayor, Herbert Allen.
    Feel free to link to the YouTube vids, Dave. I could 'send' you the 'original' ones if you like?
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by A. D. Williams View Post
    Feel free to link to the YouTube vids, Dave. I could 'send' you the 'original' ones if you like?
    Thanks Dave, I'd love to have the original vids. I'll upload them to the 7 streets website and inform Pat. It goes without saying that you'll be credited as the source, as well as a link to your site

Great vids. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry but, what is Athenaeum? A library?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    Sorry but, what is Athenaeum? A library?
    http://www.theathenaeum.org.uk/main.htm
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

ONE of the city’s final events to mark its 800th birthday has taken place, as Liverpool’s original seven streets were officially marked.

Plaques to show the first street plan, built at the behest of King John in 1207 and now forming the heart of today’s business district, have been installed to mark the importance of the roadways.

The original plan of Liverpool was a simple H-shape, consisting of Castle Street, Chapel Street, Dale Street, Bank Street, Juggler Street, Moor Street and Whiteacre Street.

Only the first three are still known by their original names, with Bank Street becoming Water Street, Moor Street becoming Tithebarn, Juggler Street evolved into High Street, and Whiteacre became Old Hall Street.

The plaques were launched yesterday by Cllr Berni Turner and the three women who have fought for more than two years to mark the historic trail – Barbara Murray, Florence Gersten and Christina Clarke.

However, the campaigners last night criticised Liverpool City Council for placing the plaques too high.

Barbara Murray said: “The whole idea was to let everybody know where the original part of Liverpool was.

“We are very angry to see that the plaques are fixed high up on the wall so that no-one can read the information – and if you can’t read them there’s no point in putting them up.”

However, a council spokesperson said that the plaques were put up as part of and in keeping with the Connecting Liverpool signage already around the city.

He said: “We are surprised at this criticism from the people involved, but they were shown the design and location and we are sorry they are disappointed.”

Patrick Neill, of Friends of Liverpool Monuments, which supported the efforts to have the streets marked, said: “I’m very pleased they’re up. The ladies have been campaigning for over three years to get something done to celebrate the city’s 800th birthday, so I am made up it’s been done eventually.”

The Friends of Liverpool Monuments have set up a website at www.liverpools7streets.co.uk for people to find out more about the historic project.

vickyanderson
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I noticed that some of the plaques are placed a bit high. It's a nice little walk trying to spot them all. I missed High Street, first time around.
    They look exactly like those cheap looking heritage signs, scattered around town (the black circles with white border)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234