Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barclay's (Martin's) Bank Doors Linked to Slavery?

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    See this.....

Seems like a lot of money to me and possibly unobtainable. Why does it have to be marble?

http://www.finishoffgeorge.co.uk/

Why on earth wasn't it done as part of the millions spent restoring SGH for Prince Charles' visit in April?
    I can't see it happening now in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Not really see post 29

Also read White Gold by Milton about the North African slave traders, trading the white people of Southern England, Ireland and Scandinavia.

I've already mentioned elsewhere that Liverpool's largest income from trade at the Black African slave times was with Ireland and the Isle of Man. Source: LRO.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

I forgot about this thread but since my last post I have come across White Gold. It was a real eye-opener. I've known for a while that Liverpools slavery connections/dependency were often overplayed but I never realised to what extent.

As for my original comment, I think it still stands; slavery was a big factor in Liverpool boom (albiet 18th century one) but the majority of Liverpools wealth and subsequent 19th century superboom were not dependent on slavery.

I hope this is more correct, feel free to offer your oppinions

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    I forgot about this thread but since my last post I have come across White Gold. It was a real eye-opener. I've known for a while that Liverpools slavery connections/dependency were often overplayed but I never realised to what extent.

As for my original comment, I think it still stands; slavery was a big factor in Liverpool boom (albiet 18th century one) but the majority of Liverpools wealth and subsequent 19th century superboom were not dependent on slavery.

I hope this is more correct, feel free to offer your opinions
    You are right. 2/3 of all people taken from Africa to the Americas were in Liverpool keels. However it was only a sideline. The wealth was in general trade, not slavery. The rise of America saw the rise of the port and city. And the city was founded on the shipment and trade of ....Cheshire salt. Hence Salthouse Dock. The biggest anti-slavery people were in Liverpool.

The white slavers from North Africa are underplayed - the Corsairs. They did take the whole population of one Irish village once into slavery in North Africa. However, although the Arabs were the most numerous of the Corsairs, the biggest were Europeans, mainly a Dutchman who operated from North Africa.

Slavery is still going on today in Africa. As white men are not involved, it is not newsworthy.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

That's right, in any case when we say 'slave trade' it is a bit of a misnomer - it clearly doesn't tell the full story.

Where we say 'slave trade' we could also say 'sugar trade', 'cotton trade', 'tobacco trade'. Trade is a multi-faceted thing. I think because it is more common to use 'slave trade' people get this idea that slaves actually came to Liverpool.

Plus: Many merchants in Liverpool made their money from trading tobacco, cotton and sugar that was grown on slave planations but did not actively partake in the buying and selling of slaves themselves. Their profits therefore are from the trading of goods rather than of slaves. It is a thin line but nevertheless an important one to remember.

Agreed. It's just like asking if that jumper you're wearing has been made by sweatshops. We may at some time or other buy goods (knowingly or unknowingly) that have a sinister origin, even foodstuffs.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    A bit off topic but as slavery has been mentioned. The sculptures at the entrance to the Martins bank buildings on Water St show a merchant pressing his hands down onto the heads of two African boys. I was led to believe this was to do with slavery. Frank Carlyle in Liverpool unseen gives the opposite account mentioning what they are carrying and says that it signifies that the prosperity of the city and this building in particular being a bank is helping the lesser poorer nations? Anyone got the real take on it?
    Ressurecting another old thread - St Martin's Bank decorative door jambs - Terry Cavanagh writing in the Public Sculpture of Liverpool says:

"The stone jambs are decorated with panels carved with an old man of the sea - noted the webbed fingers and 'Assyrian'-shaped webbed beard. He places his hands upon the heads of two back-to-back boys holding moneybags, anchors and ropes. Either side of the old man's bald head are dolphins"

I don't think this has anything to do with slavery. Only the Town Hall freize [already mentioned by Chris] and the Street names, are [I think] the only references left in the city to slavery. The town/ city was perhaps was clinical in removing any past references, or reminders of the 'Guinea' trade.

The 4th Custom House at the head of the Old Dock, which was still standing in 1826 carried negro heads on some of the key-stones. I assume this would be on the lintel above the window heads?

Thomas Clarkson the abolitionist bought "Iron instruments used in this cruel traffic” from a Liverpool shop during one of his visits to the port. The details appeared in Clarkson’s History of the Abolition of the African Slave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St martins.jpg 
Views:	617 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	16114  
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

"The stone jambs are decorated with panels carved with an old man of the sea - noted the webbed fingers and 'Assyrian'-shaped webbed beard. He places his hands upon the heads of two back-to-back boys holding moneybags, anchors and ropes. Either side of the old man's bald head are dolphins"

Sounds symbolic of the importance of maritime trade to me, rather than specifically slavery.

Would slaves ever be shown holding moneybags?

My OH worked in Barclays in Water Street and he came across a pamplet with pictures giving the history of the building !, he aquired (hmmm) said leaflet and if I can find it I will have a good read and let you all in on what it says !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Sounds symbolic of the importance of maritime trade to me, rather than specifically slavery.

Would slaves ever be shown holding moneybags?
    I think it's another city myth az - spot on.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Blog Entries

There are people in this city who will tell you that every carved ship on an old building is a slave ship. Sadly, these demagogues seem to attract popular attention.

I think it is right to say that Liverpool was enriched in monetary terms by the slave trade but it was also at the time the most important port in the UK which meant its wealth came primarily from the movement of these goods through the port and city to around the country. The slave element was a part of this but by no means the majority. Ships were docking and unloading every day with an abundance of items if there was a slave ship every day within a short time Africa would have been empty (a bit like Poland )This came from other goods such as sugar,molasses ,tobacco,timber,wheat, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by essexscouse View Post
    I think it is right to say that Liverpool was enriched in monetary terms by the slave trade but it was also at the time the most important port in the UK which meant its wealth came primarily from the movement of these goods through the port and city to around the country. The slave element was a part of this but by no means the majority. Ships were docking and unloading every day with an abundance of items if there was a slave ship every day within a short time Africa would have been empty (a bit like Poland )This came from other goods such as sugar,molasses ,tobacco,timber,wheat, etc.
    The name for it was the Triangle Trade - and its triangular nature ensured that the slavery element could always be seen as marginal, because the transport of slaves was kept to one side of that triangle, the side that didn't involve Liverpool directly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    The name for it was the Triangle Trade - and its triangular nature ensured that the slavery element could always be seen as marginal, because the transport of slaves was kept to one side of that triangle, the side that didn't involve Liverpool directly.
    Lord Mansfield, the Lord Chief Justice's 'advice' to the jury in ruling over the case of the Liverpool ship Zong in 1783 said:

'The matter left to the jury was whether it was necessary that the slaves were thrown into the sea, for they had no doubt that the case of slaves was the same as if horses had been thrown overboard.'

The assumption was that 'african' slaves were not human, though an increasing body of evidence suggested otherwise throughout the 1700's. The middle passage of the triangle ensured that normal 'decent' people need not come into contact with the Guinea trade - which presumably would have ceased sooner if they had?

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Ressurecting another old thread - St Martin's Bank decorative door jambs - Terry Cavanagh writing in the Public Sculpture of Liverpool says:

I don't think this has anything to do with slavery. Only the Town Hall freize [already mentioned by Chris] and the Street names, are [I think] the only references left in the city to slavery. The town/ city was perhaps was clinical in removing any past references, or reminders of the 'Guinea' trade.

The 4th Custom House at the head of the Old Dock, which was still standing in 1826 carried negro heads on some of the key-stones. I assume this would be on the lintel above the window heads?

Thomas Clarkson the abolitionist bought "Iron instruments used in this cruel traffic” from a Liverpool shop during one of his visits to the port. The details appeared in Clarkson’s History of the Abolition of the African Slave.
    There's a similar sculpture to the Martin's Bank sculptures on the Federal Trade Commission in Washington, D.C., among a series of relief sculptures showing Americans at Work, Past & Present.

One of the panels in D.C. shows an African handing over an elephant's tusk for a bag of money. Some could choose to interpret that relief as showing the slave trade although to my mind it's part of an effort just to show commerce over the centuries, and so is appropriate for the type of scene you might want for the U.S. Federal Trade Commission building when it was built in the Art Deco period of the early Twentieth Century.

Of course today such a depiction might not be "politically correct" both because of depiction of the ivory trade, now illegal, as well as the idea that some Africans made money off African resources, whether it be the gold, diamonds, ivory or, yes, the black gold of slavery.

Best regards

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast