On that note, Ged, I stand corrected.

However, there's no denying (as we all know) that goods from South America that had been traded using slaves arrived here in large numbers. Fair enough, it may not have been a large proportion of Liverpool's trade, but either way I'm not ashamed to be associated with Liverpool, and I'd never be ashamed to walk down/live on a road named after someone prominent in the slave trade.

All this re-writing of history is reminiscent of 1984. If it's illegal to deny the Holocaust, how can we get away with proposing to rename 'slave trade' streets? It sounds like sweeping under the carpet and 'tidying up' to me. Oh, let's name them after abolitionists, that'd be PC... I disagree. I think it's just patronising Afro-American communities.

The fact that Britain and North America (first nation to actively try and abolish it?) no longer participate in a slave trade/triangle should be enough. Liverpool councillors today would not participate in such activities given the chance, so they've nothing to feel guilty about.