Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Lost Village beneath Liverpool City Centre by Tom Slemen.

That's right Ged, George has got us all fitter than Galkoff's butcher's dog, running around after all these leads.
    There's a method in me madness.

Blog Entries

No worries George. Hunchwork, lifting up stones, looking around corners, tracking down lost subterranean villages...it's all part of the fun here.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Blog Entries

This is quite interesting. Through looking at the pictures on Nightvision Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/nightvi...n/photostream/ i'm a little bit puzzled.

It seems that 'street' is a bit of a misnomer, it looks like it is currently being used as a service corridoor. There are certainly walls with arched apatures in them that look like doorways or windows.

The most interesting photo is 101_2423 which looks as if there is a two-storey building, freestanding with a concrete roof over the top.

The material and style look typically Victorian (although a closer look at the bricks would give us a better date).

My best guess is that it is something linked to the railway hotel. Many old railway hotels had underground areas connected to the platforms for the transport of 1st class luggage and baggage out of sight of the nobs. The idea is that they arrive in their rooms and their bags would already be there, as if by magic.

It could also possibly be designed as service areas for the multitude of staff the hotel would require. I'd like to see it myself, sounds facinating.

Blog Entries

I wonder whether there is any surviving structure from John Foster Snr's Screen wall, which stood on the site c.1835? The service corridors, as you suggest, are likely to be from the hotel.

Elmes' Perspective Showing Wind Tower Behind Daily Courts Building. Shown on the right is John Foster Senior's facade to Lime Street Station.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	John Foster Lime Street Station.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	17922
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Hi Guys
    Did you listen to Radio City Talk on 21st Nov? I think I mentioned it earlier about the paranormal investigation in the underground street recorded for the show Zone Unknown. Well they've added new photo's to their facebook profile, the pics look a lot clearer than my ones did.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    I wonder whether there is any surviving structure from John Foster Snr's Screen wall, which stood on the site c.1835? The service corridors, as you suggest, are likely to be from the hotel.

Elmes' Perspective Showing Wind Tower Behind Daily Courts Building. Shown on the right is John Foster Senior's facade to Lime Street Station.

Name:	John Foster Lime Street Station.jpg 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	17922
    Thank you, Daz. I've never seen that illustration before. Very interesting!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Thank you, Daz. I've never seen that illustration before. Very interesting!

Chris
    Hi Chris, you're welcome.

The later Herdman view, 1857, also shows the Lime Street screen wall but without the towers shown on the earlier Elmes drawing. The isolated columns standing in the middle were mockingly known as the "candlesticks". [LRO]

Name:	Lime St screen.jpg 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	17948

Daz

Hey all, just something about this that thread that keeps niggling at me, the road surface of lime street does seem to dip by the station, call me nieve as this could easily be due to the underground line, and across the road from the station there are service entrances to st johns next to the car park exit, wouldn't be the first time a city uses an old street as a loading bay ( discovery channel had something about San fransisco doing It a while back). I'd love it all to be true but Liverpool does have a tendancy to confuse the best of us. Just a thought. Thanks.

Hi Moe. Interesting theory but if that were the case, wouldn't that road show up on all those classic pics of St. Georges Place by the quadrant in front of the Guinness Clock?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Ged you are right, it would show up on a map somewhere, the only reason I am dubious is the map I have of the Area isn't to scale by any means, and makes the area look very crammed when in fact the junction is relatively open. Also this isn't the first place I've heard this. I heard the same tale when in school back in 97 before the Slemen books. To be honest it's probibly me wanting it to be true

Blog Entries

Hi Moe, welcome to Yo!

Old streets beneath new ones seems to feature on here every now and then. Time and time again though this is often unfounded, and there's usually a far more simpler explanation to why things are what they are.

Old streets under new roads: one practical problem is that every property owner having access to the then existing street, would be in effect, buried underground. Unless, that is, the developer bought all the land on either side of the road, for the length of the road, which is not very likely.

Remember, Sir Christopher Wren had a grand plan to redesign the whole city of London when it was raised to the ground by the great fire. It was the plot-holders, the owners of the land, that foiled his plans. They simply started rebuilding their homes on the existing plots they owned.

Also remember that Lime Street was the edge of town back then.

Dazza, fair answer, I'm confident on that answer that your probibly right, nevermind, it was a bit of a romantic tale anyway. Thanks

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345