The Lost Village beneath Liverpool City Centre by Tom Slemen.
Taken from Haunted Liverpool 4. (page 24)
“In 1934, the two and a half mile long Queensway Tunnel- the one which passes under the Pier Head- was finally completed. During the excavations to create the mouth of the tunnel near Manchester Street and Dale Street, the excavators made a strange discovery. They found the ruins of an ancient village, situated approximately 130 feet underground. The houses which made up this village seemed to date back to Tudor times but what was particularly weird, was the diminutive size of the buildings. The villagers who had once lived there must have been minute, because most of the doorways in the houses were only four feet in height. Unbelievable as it sounds, the village was not investigated further, because the authorities in Liverpool and Birkenhead had to finish the tunnel in time for the King and Queen to open it.
So, beneath the streets of Liverpool City Centre, there is a mysterious village still unexplored. There were later claims that this village extended beneath the Lime St cuttings, and that part of the little town was exposed by a deep bomb crater near Copperas Hill during the second world war……”
Anyone have any ideas/comments etc?