Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Markets

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    They'd have the fear of being housebound either way.

Since when are high streets deserted?
    Oh c'mon Maxie it doesn't have be that way.
    What's wrong with having a local shop LESS than 15mins walk away in the fuggin snow,from your gang-ridden* amenity-free low-dense cul-de-sac, where you can buy cheap local stuff from the alottments, meaning you've got a bit more cash to spend your fuel allowance on maybe heating more than one room at a time? This is the reality for a lot of good people who deserve an awful lot more out of life.

It's ok for the 'young' and the mobile.

Since when are the high-streets deserted??
    Taken a stroll down Prescott/Kenny Rds at night lately? What about Wavertree Road? Oh aye they've got a supermarket like.....

Such a waste. Makes me weep.

*oh btw I'm not saying that the estates ARE neccessarily "gang-ridden" but that's the fear that keep a lot of our most vulnerable citizens locked away.

It's not good enough. We treat our f*ckin horses better than we treat our elderly in this country.
    Last edited by The Teardrop Explodes; 01-09-2007 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    The "High Street" concept is one I've never associated with Merseyside.
    Isn't it darn sarf somewhere?
    Eh?!

Wavo High St, Wavertree Rd, Prescott Rd, Park Rd....there's a bit of list Phil surely?

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by The Teardrop Explodes View Post
    What's wrong with having a local shop LESS than 15mins walk away in the fuggin snow,from your gang-ridden* amenity-free low-dense cul-de-sac, where you can buy cheap local stuff from the alottments, meaning you've got a bit more cash to spend your fuel allowance on maybe heating more than one room at a time? This is the reality for a lot of good people who deserve an awful lot more out of life.

Taken a stroll down Prescott/Kenny Rds at night lately? What about Wavertree Road? Oh aye they've got a supermarket like.....

*oh btw I'm not saying that the estates ARE neccessarily "gang-ridden" but that's the fear that keep a lot of our most vulnerable citizens locked away.

It's not good enough. We treat animals better than we treat our elderly in this country.
    Where do you live in London TE?

Stoke Newington.

scouserdave

Stoke Newington.
    Fair enough. Lots of local shops there. I used to live nearby Clissold Park. Done my washing in the laundrette in the shops nearby. (Danm you for neutralising my loaded question! )

The High Street, Turkish bit, rather than the gentrified nimby section.

It's just a unique happy-accident of relatively night-time safety and dirt-cheap food.

It annoys me that I can buy the same ingredients, any time day-or-night, in Stokie for about a third of the price, than my mum has to pay up on Olive Mount- if you can even find them- and where the last horse leaves town by 6pm.

Liverpool deserves better, and Stokie's my blueprint.

It's not good enough. We treat our f*ckin horses better than we treat our elderly in this country.
    Aye, you live In London so how can you say Prescott and Kenny Road are deserted? They may have been before you were In London but you live In London now.

Most local Tescos now are less than 15 minutes walk around South Liverpool.

Local Butchers and Grocers are more known to be expensive as well, so how do you think the two would benefit the elderly?

The Elderly might as well fear everywhere then, gangs go anywhere these days!

Weap?

I find weaping real hard to do for barely anything.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

scouserdave

too much haste
    Last edited by scouserdave; 01-09-2007 at 01:28 AM. Reason: too keen to reply

scouserdave

The High Street, Turkish bit, rather than the gentrified nimby section.

It's just a unique happy-accident of relatively night-time safety and dirt-cheap food.

It annoys me that I can buy the same ingredients, any time day-or-night, in Stokie for about a third of the price, than my mum has to pay up on Olive Mount- if you can even find them- and where the last horse leaves town by 6pm.

Liverpool deserves better, and Stokie's my blueprint.
    The trouble is though with Stoke Newington, most of their local shop labour are black market immigrants.

Because I go back.

The grocers are so cheap here because:
    1.all the gear comes from local alotments,
    and 2. the Turks who own these shops are able to sell to a large Turkish community who cook from scratch and refuse to pay over the odds.

Other than for tins and household stuff, the Morrisons doesn't get a look in.

So, in Liverpool, local people selling local green **** and in quantites to keep the prices low. More people being able to eat well, I'd say that's a great aim.

It's that simple basically. There just has to be enough demand for fresh produce so that the price stays low.

Oh, and busy, alive, mixed, 24hr high streets,are safe 24 hr high streets.

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    The trouble is though with Stoke Newington, most of their local shop labour are black market immigrants.
    Well yeah, family ties an all, but you can't say they're not paid the going rate because they are. More so.

It's the only place in London you can afford to eat well on next to nothing. £12-14 for two weeks/5 bags worth of vegetables, and that's every day.

Everwhere else it's like the rest of the country. ****.

scouserdave

Well yeah, family ties an all, but you can't say they're not paid the going rate because they are. More so.
    How much are they paid more so?

PhilipG

Eh?!

Wavo High St, Wavertree Rd, Prescott Rd, Park Rd....there's a bit of list Phil surely?
    When has a Scouser ever said "I'm going to the High Street"?
    It's "To the Shops", "Going to Town", "Doing the Messages", or they'll name the locality.
    Park Road is my High Street!

Because I go back.

The grocers are so cheap here because:
    1.all the gear comes from local alotments,
    and 2. the Turks who own these shops are able to sell to a large Turkish community who cook from scratch and refuse to pay over the odds.

Other than for tins and household stuff, the Morrisons doesn't get a look in.

So, in Liverpool, local people selling local green **** and in quantites to keep the prices low. More people being able to eat well, I'd say that's a great aim.

It's that simple basically. There just has to be enough demand for fresh produce so that the price stays low.

Oh, and busy, alive, mixed, 24hr high streets,are safe 24 hr high streets.
    You go back but don't live there to judge enough.

Cheap? Different shops, different prices. Local shops I've seen are more expensive. Junk food is cheaper too. Meat in the Butchers around here is more expensive than In Tesco.

Why mention Turks? We not talking about selling produce to one group of nationality.

I wouldn't trust local markets anymore than supermarkets as long as theirs people workings in either place.

Bollocks, you can get attacked In a public area and people won't give a **** to even see If your alright. It's just as bad as going through a more emptier area, except gangs will be more confident of not being caught I an emptier area.

Allotments eh? Good for growing food, bad for breathing in air when near any because the selfish *******s are always burning something.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    You go back but don't live there to judge enough.

Cheap? Different shops, different prices. Local shops I've seen are more expensive. Junk food is cheaper too. Meat in the Butchers around here is more expensive than In Tesco.

Why mention Turks? We not talking about selling produce to one group of nationality.

I wouldn't trust local markets anymore than supermarkets as long as theirs people workings in either place.

Bollocks, you can get attacked In a public area and people won't give a **** to even see If your alright. It's just as bad as going through a more emptier area, except gangs will be more confident of not being caught I an emptier area.

Allotments eh? Good for growing food, bad for breathing in air when near any because the selfish *******s are always burning something.

"...you don't live there to judge enough."
    Yeah well whatever Max.

Also, word to the wise, if you're not going to read what the person's actually said there isn't much basis for discussion is there?
    And I'm not really into the tedium of arguing for the sake of arguing, or going round in circles so I'll swerve em' if you don't mind.
    Last edited by The Teardrop Explodes; 01-09-2007 at 12:13 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast