Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Liverbirds

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Sloyne and Gerry

I actually think the time is right to have the life size Liver Bird at ground level, with the conjunction of both the 800th anniversary of the city's first charter and the Capital of Culture year. Exactly the right time! Again, good luck in your effort, Gerry. If you wish for support letters from Sloyne and myself and others, I for one would be willing to write such a letter and I should think Sloyne would as well given his prior interest in this very project.

Chris
    It should be away from the reaches of people, so it can't be defaced.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

If you wish for support letters from Sloyne and myself and others
    Thanks Chris, I forgot to include that I would support Gerry's proposal with a follow up letter. Thanks again for mentioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    It should be away from the reaches of people, so it can't be defaced.

A good point about the danger of defacement, Waterways. As I see it one option would be to have a ground level Liver Bird that would be a replica of those on the Liver Buildings. Another option might be to have an international competition for an artist to come up with a new interpretation of the Liver Bird. It should not be an abstract sculpture but something that would realistically re-envision the Liver Bird for the twenty-first century.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

A good point about the danger of defacement, Waterways. As I see it one option would be to have a ground level Liver Bird that would be a replica of those on the Liver Buildings. Another option might be to have an international competition for an artist to come up with a new interpretation of the Liver Bird. It should not be an abstract sculpture but something that would realistically re-envision the Liver Bird for the twenty-first century.

Chris
    I see nothing wrong with the one we have got.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

A good point about the danger of defacement.
    I don't recall the 'Yellow Submarine' being unduly defaced. The odd signature with a magic marker by the odd tourist or two. Perhaps the location of the 'Submarine' on Chavesse Park was a deterent to would be vandals.

Blog Entries

I remember someone defacing it with some offensive remarks about scousers a few years ago.

As for a ground level Liverbird, we have plenty of monuments that are in good conditions dotted about our city. I would put it just above head hight like most of the others so you have to look up, 6-10 ft or so.

It must be accessible by all members of our community, not just goths
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Sloyne View Post
    I don't recall the 'Yellow Submarine' being unduly defaced. The odd signature with a magic marker by the odd tourist or two. Perhaps the location of the 'Submarine' on Chavesse Park was a deterent to would be vandals.

Quote Originally Posted by Cissie Braithwaite View Post
    Thanks Cissie, they must have cleaned it up whenever I visited Liverpool. I have taken a number of pictures of friends and relatives with the submarine as a backdrop and never really noticed excessive grafitti.

Thanks Cissie, they must have cleaned it up whenever I visited Liverpool. I have taken a number of pictures of friends and relatives with the submarine as a backdrop and never really noticed excessive grafitti.
    Hi Sloyne

I think the point is that what has happened before could happen again and probably will. As long, that is, that there are people in society who do not value community property or heritage.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

I think the point is that what has happened before could happen again and probably will. As long, that is, that there are people in society who do not value community property or heritage.
    Yes Chris, it is a world wide problem. I have seen graffiti on some of the worlds most famouse heritage sites, places like Giza, Chichen-itza, Corcovado, The Colosseum, The Acropolis and even in the Punch Bowl cemetary. Don't know what posseses people to deface their environment, but they do.

Yes Chris, it is a world wide problem. I have seen graffiti on some of the worlds most famouse heritage sites, places like Giza, Chichen-itza, Corcovado, The Colosseum, The Acropolis and even in the Punch Bowl cemetary. Don't know what posseses people to deface their environment, but they do.

Hi Sloyne

Of course it's not a modern phenomenon even though it seems especially rife now. I remember seeing medieval effigies defaced by initials by people long ago after Thomas and Oliver Cromwell and his gangs had their go. And at Shakespeare's cottage a number of well known people had inscribed their names in the panes of the leadlight windows, presumably using their diamond rings.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

And at Shakespeare's cottage a number of well known people had inscribed their names in the panes of the leadlight windows, presumably using their diamond rings.
    Would that be Anne Hathaways cottage? I have visited the cottage but never noticed the graffiti you mention. I will certainly look if I ever go back to Stratford-on-Avon. Were did you see the graffiti by Oliver Cromwell and was it Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex or Thomas Cranmer the Archbishop of Canterbury, you meant? Thanks for this very interesting piece information.
    Last edited by Sloyne; 12-05-2006 at 08:40 PM.

Would that be Anne Hathaways cottage? I have visited the cottage but never noticed the graffiti you mention. I will certainly look if I ever go back to Stratford-on-Avon. Were did you see the graffiti by Oliver Cromwell and was it Thomas Cranmer you meant? Thanks for this very interesting piece information.
    Hi Sloyne

It was definitely Shakespeare's birthplace because I remember looking out onto the street through the defaced window. . . as you probably know Anne Hathaway's Cottage is set somewhat off the road. And it was Thomas Cromwell, who oversaw the Dissolution of the Monasteries under Henry VIII.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Quote Originally Posted by Cissie Braithwaite View Post
    I have bought this book and would recommend it. Splendid work.

I am hoping to get this book for Christmas ... I've dropped a few hints

Default Third Liver Bird, and security.

Thanks to all who have responded and commented on the Third Lyver Bird idea.
    It is currently with the Public Art Steering Committee, who are said to be considering locations which

could do with some public work of art, and then allo the Bird to bid for one of these, against other

ideas which have money or sponsorship attached. So don't hold your breath.
    I have made a CD-rom of the scheme, containing photos, mock-ups, transcripts, histories, notes

and diagrams, and managed to place copies with David Henshaw, Warren Bradley and a third of the

councillors, Jason Harborow, Prof Drummond Bone, Laurie Peake and many others. All those who

are likely to be in a position to do anything are well aware of the plan, and generally in favour - in

principle.
    (If you would like a copy of this CDrom, do email me privately with a postal address.)
    Please feel free to "talk it up", write to your councillor and MP, but best of all -find a serious sponsor.
    In "original materials" we are talking near £250,000, but in kevlar or such about £40,000. Such an

item would not last 100 years, but if it gets built and lasts ten years or more, then there would be an

outcry of "we must keep The Bird", equivalent to the Keep Gormley's Men campaign.

Security? Well, I think it would have to take its chance along with other works of art, most of which

come through unscathed, and this one is surely going to prove more popular, and more readily taken

to Scouse hearts. One change I now think could be made, with security in mind, is to incorporate

part of the Dome on which the bird stands. This would be rather harder to scale, and would make the

whole item a few feet taller still, and even more impressive.

Keep coming with the ideas, everyone.
    Gerry.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast