Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lark Lane Area

Default Shillings!

I walked down the Lane Last month Norm it is much the same. When they blocked it off from Aigburth road they effectively secured it, it is a bit of a time warp.The pubs are there and there is quite a few food outlets.Sadly my old hang out Joes Cafe is a chinese now.Waste of pocket money trying to keep it going
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

I have just read this whole thread. I loved this area and went to the Mayfair. I was in the Michel-in-the-Hamlet girl guides!

That whole area had a good vibe, I hope it still does.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    I have just read this whole thread. I loved this area and went to the Mayfair. I was in the Michel-in-the-Hamlet girl guides!

That whole area had a good vibe, I hope it still does.
    Do you remember the water tank behind the Mayfair-and the rubble I think of bombed buildings behind that

Default Joes cafe

I have happy memories from the 40s and 50s in the Lane, I used to go to Joes cafe , and have a cup of bovril, or a penny Vimto, along with a couple of mates, I went to St Michaels with Joes son, Joe also ran a table tennis club in Christ church hall, which was also our scout and cubs hall (28th Toxteth) among the shops then was a fishmongers called Glendennings, who used to hang out side the shop on hooks an array of pheasants , rabbits and hares. I used to work on Fridays nights and all day Saturday delivering green groceries for Joneses and recieved 16 shillings for it plus any tips!! this enabled me to save up for my first guitar amplfier a little 12 watt Selmer from Rushworth and Dreapers, I think it cost 32 guineas, I used to frequent the horse stables , which was run by a Billie Owens, and owned by a as we called him Mr Rab (Rabinowitz) there used to be also a watch repairers called Ransomes. A bike shop on the corner of the Lane and little Parkfield road called Macfarlands, which later became a shoe repairers. God I could go on for ever with my happy memories. Cheers Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Mikerux View Post
    Do you remember the water tank behind the Mayfair-and the rubble I think of bombed buildings behind that
    I don't remember that. I remember as a kid we lined up on Saturdays for the kids movie at the Gourmont complete with cartoon and weekly episode of something like Robin Hood. Mayfair was in the evenings with parents and then as a teen (without parents!)

Is the Cast Iron Shore still around?

I have popped 11 photos of old Liverpool on my hello from Manhattan thread on introductions as I did not know where to put them. Have a peek, I will move them if someone tells me where to pop them.

I must give a thanks for this thread (did not know we had thank yous so I must nip around and give them to all the threads I have really enjoyed and stayed up till the wee hours reading!)

Default water tanks

Re the water tanks behind the Mayfair cinema, they used to be water tanks for emergency water supplies to help fight the fires from the bombings, I used to live in Bickerton street and went to school , down beside the Mayfair and cross the waste ground (water tanks ) and on to St Michaels , stopping off at the dairy to buy sweets or sticky lice or black jacks ! before going in, the headmaster at that time was a MR Ringrose and his deputy was a Miss Maxwell. Just a little bit of trivia. Cheers Keith.

Default My Sweet Lord

It was a civil defence yard they had one on Knowsley road Bootle and there was a few more sites dotted around.We used to go to St Michaels Rugby club on a Saturday and get in the window of the changing room the door led you onto the dance floor. 'Those were the days' I was accused of not being a Rugby player one night and asked to leave. There was a scuffle and to the tune of 'My Sweet Lord' we got evicted. We ended uo back in Aigburth and as bored as usual
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Lark Lane 1951. (Daily Post & Echo)

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Lark Lane 1951

Thanks for posting that pic Ged! It revived a few memories for me. Cheers

You're welcome Norm. I've seen how Lark Lane has achieved over 100 posts/12 pages of messages so it's obviously a much loved place. It's a nice photo isn't it and obviously how you remember it so when I saw it, I knew it had to go on here.

Thanks Ged! Hadassah Grove was just further up on the right in photo, and the garage i drove taxi's (Logan's) for, was opposite on the left. the old 1947 vauxhall parked on the corner of Sidderley St made me smile too! I once had a similar one!

I know there's a better pic than this of someones way back on the thread of the actual little quiant cobbled street itself.

Yes Ged! I think I have the one you mention, taken by Max , some time ago, it was the pic of the house we lived in prior to coming to NZ.

Thanks, I too have memories flooding back

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast