Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Future Liverpool: Fountains!

I have vague recollections of a drinking fountain in princes park (could have been seffie) it was built into a wall and was a lions head with a small water spout out of its mouth you had to push a button to turn the water on to drink

Yes... I remember that too... _ or I might have been thinking of the more ornate one linked below...

I'm voting for Seffie Park though, since we rarely visited Princes Park.

I think it's the "Gothic Fountain" shown on page 3 here...

http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Images/tcm21-116408.pdf

There is a fountain at Liverpool 1 which marks the boundary wall of the first dock. It is named in commemoration of William Hutchinson and Rob Ainsworth did a good piece on him/it in the historical societies handbook last year. See more here: http://quazen.com/reference/biograph...dlian-of-1797/

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Princes Park Fountain

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Point taken, MissInformed.
    Let's differentiate between drinking fountains, and public display ones, as this is a subject I've never considered before.

Public display ones in Liverpool are very few:
    Steble Fountain, William Brown Street.
    Williamson Square.
    The Buckets behind Beetham Plaza (ex Wilberforce House).
    and ?.

I never knew that the Eros Statue was supposed to be a fountain - proves that it's never worked in the 30-odd years I've been in Liverpool.

Round about the time of the Garden Festival, there was a short-lived one in either Princes or Sefton Park.
    So short-lived that I can't remember which park!

Do burst water-mains count?
    There certainly was a fountain in Princes Park in the '80s and it didn't last long. This was a public display one, not a drinking fountain, being a 20-30 foot jet of water projected upwards from the middle of the lake. I believe it was removed after an accident involving a young boy - one of the first examples of over-zealous Health & Safety actions? I do know that anglers ( for oxygenation reasons) and some members of the Friends Of Princes Park are in favour of re-installing it.

Much earlier (anyone know when or when it stopped working?) there was a drinking fountain built into the Yates Obelisk near the main gates of Princes Park.
    Last edited by empeebee; 02-16-2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: adding further info

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123