Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: School Dinners. Did you love them or hate them?

Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    I just about tolerated the custard , i think it was the smell that made me sick though ...
    Didn't they used to slice it?!

Debra

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Didn't they used to slice it?!
    Haha , yes i think they did

And then make out it was blancmange! The place we went to,was called the "huts" for some reason!(possibly because that's what they were )

Debra

Yes ours were called that too , we had to walk halfway down St Domingo road to get to them , and they had a sort or corrigated roof on them . They were always cold and had a damp smell mixed with cabbage , the dinner ladies all looked like Nora Batty . No wonder i was always whinging when i was a kid , they used to make be partners with a girl who always had a runny nose .

Sydney,sunshine capital of the world ex Norris Green-ex Croxteth

When I was at Abbotsford Road school the dinners were absolute crap.
    A lot of us would nip down to Broadway shops where we'd buy a tank loaf between two of us.The loaf would be cut in half by some kind lady at Sayers.Then we would rip the middle out of it and stuff it with chips.
    Yummy but it used to get stuck halfway down and it didn't half hurt.

I bet a few of you did the same kind of thing.

Pud

Debra

Quote Originally Posted by Sydernee View Post
    When I was at Abbotsford Road school the dinners were absolute crap.
    A lot of us would nip down to Broadway shops where we'd buy a tank loaf between two of us.The loaf would be cut in half by some kind lady at Sayers.Then we would rip the middle out of it and stuff it with chips.

Pud
    Yes i remember them from when i was at Queen of all saints , it was the lads who got them , the girls just got chips , some of the lads used to get curry in theres too

George

Yeah! schoolie dinners made yer wanna

Like many of us ,it was dockers sarnie ie chips and sausage and a large uncut loaf straight from the bakers shop...rip the white bread outta the crusty loaf and fill it with yer fav chips and sausage...big loaf small gob.

Sydney,sunshine capital of the world ex Norris Green-ex Croxteth

Curry came along quite some time after my school days.At the Broadway chippy it would have been sacrilage to put slop on perfectly good chips

Pud

Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    Yes ours were called that too , we had to walk halfway down St Domingo road to get to them , and they had a sort or corrigated roof on them . They were always cold and had a damp smell mixed with cabbage , the dinner ladies all looked like Nora Batty . No wonder i was always whinging when i was a kid , they used to make be partners with a girl who always had a runny nose .
    Ha,Ha, I wonder why?! Did you have anything in common

George

I think school dinner ladies graduated....the hopital food is no different...bluh!

I remember one disgusting trick,when I was at St.Theresa's. Some halfwits used to spit, or blow their noses, on the spoons,wipe it off,then wait for someone to join the table,and use it! They were oblivious to the cause of the "special" flavour!!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindac8941 View Post
    I was at school in the 60s...
    I was in the juniors (St Christopher's, Speke) until 1962 and quite enjoyed some of the meals. I was one of few who enjoyed the cheese and onion pie and the occasional cheese & onion pasty from Greggs takes me right back.
    From 1962 I was at Blessed John Almond's in Garston and there were enough opportunities nearby to avoid school dinners - there was a cafe by the gasworks that did home-made pie, chips and gravy for 11d (old pence for you young 'uns) when I had a shilling to buy a school dinner.

In later years we'd go to the shops by the Cenotaph, just past Garston station. We'd buy a crusty loaf between two, from the bakery, rip it in half and take most of the bread out of the middle, then stuff it with chips from the chippy next door.

When I ended up at All Hallows in Speke in 1966, I started having school dinners again as there were few food alternatives nearby. Found them quite good.

[QUOTE=Sydernee;235510]When I was at Abbotsford Road school the dinners were absolute crap.

Pud[/QUOTE

Ha ha, Yes, used to sneak out of school some lunchtimes, whilst at Abbotsford. and go to Sayers also. But in the juniors, we had to go to the hut. Was terrified of one particular dinner lady. She looked a bit like Miss Trunchbull out of Matilda, worts and all. ha ha.

In St Silas I went for school dinners for one week !!, we were marched down Windsor Street to a hall and the food was awful !, I complained so much Mum asked a neighbour if I could go there for lunch thankfully she agreed !!..

In Senior school the only meals I liked was the Christmas dinner !, and the lovely cheese flan...one girl found a beetle in her cabbage once it nearly made me ill !, after that I took "butties" to aet in the classroom.

Debra

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Ha,Ha, I wonder why?! Did you have anything in common
    Nothing in common at all Steve I still hate her now .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast