Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roscommon St School and St. Peters, Sackville St, Everton area.

Blog Entries

Here are 3 more St Peters pics, thanks go to Mr Bookless and LRO. They appear to be of the St Peters centenary in 1957? I haven't mentioned it before but the photos are from a mixture of newspaper and holiday snapshots etc. More on their way after they've been digitally cleaned.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St Petes Cent 1957 - 3 Staff & guests.jpg 
Views:	1125 
Size:	975.9 KB 
ID:	21982Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St Petes Cent 1957 - 2.jpg 
Views:	920 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	21983Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St Peters Cent 1957 -1.jpg 
Views:	798 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	21984

Hello Chas!

Once again I have just logged on at an odd moment and noticed your photos. On the first batch of photos, the next to last photo, shows Stanley Coleman sitting in the middle, his older brother Ray was in our class and I knew the family well. His oldest brother was John Coleman, who was a mate of my older brother. Both Stan and John are dead now. I did see Ray a couple of years ago and we had a few pints for old times sake. The last photo in the batch, shows a couple of my relations. The lad with the ball between his legs is Alf Shaw. the lad to the left of the goalie, is a relative, Freddy Wood. He still lives in the area of Salisbury Street. The teacher is Mr Milroy who started in Sackville St when I was there.

Regarding the visit to the club, I hope you did not turn up on Friday 8th as it was the annual visit by the club to Shrewsbury School. I will be there next week, hope you can make it. There is wheelchair access at the club.

Cheers.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chasevans View Post
    Here are 3 more St Peters pics, thanks go to Mr Bookless and LRO. They appear to be of the St Peters centenary in 1957? I haven't mentioned it before but the photos are from a mixture of newspaper and holiday snapshots etc. More on their way after they've been digitally cleaned.

Name:	St Petes Cent 1957 - 3 Staff & guests.jpg 
Views:	1125 
Size:	975.9 KB 
ID:	21982Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St Petes Cent 1957 - 2.jpg 
Views:	920 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	21983Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St Peters Cent 1957 -1.jpg 
Views:	798 
ID:	21984
    Hello Chas.

We have got that first photo at the club. sitting on the front row, far right, is the famous 'Nitty Nora' Who used to call to the school and search your head for head lice. If you were unfortunate to have a few dozen or so, you were sent to the clinic in Plumton Street to get your head soaked in some terrible concoction. I remember one poor girl who had most of her hair cut off, the remainder being soaked in what looked like tar oil. (Happy days!)

Blog Entries

Hi Samp,
    Good to hear from you, I couldn't make it to the Shewsy last Friday but I do intend to go this week. Glad you've recognized a few schoolmates and relatives, there are close to 150 pics stored at LRO, all of them save by Mr Bookless, then headmaster. Also preserved by him is a schools inspector's report( below).
    All the best,Samp,
    Chas

Name:	St Peters report.jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	426.8 KB 
ID:	21985Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Main report and Mr Bookless praised,.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	21986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Report front.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	962.9 KB 
ID:	21987

Samp, the clinic in Plumpton Street. Is that the old derelict Georgian building that is still there now?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Default 1000 layers of Everton onion

This is another set of photos from LRO looking up from both sides of the bottom of Roscommon - Gt. Homer Street and top of Roscommon St, Netherfield Road area .Fourth pic bears closer examination because -

Name:	Lee's shoe shop, cnr. Roscommon St-Gt Homer S..jpg 
Views:	1160 
Size:	999.9 KB 
ID:	21994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rossy from Gt Homer St (rh).jpg 
Views:	1005 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	21995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Netherfield Rd curving into the distant St Georges Hill.jpg 
Views:	2022 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	21992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Netherfield Road N meets Netherfield Road South , showing  St George's Hill.jpg 
Views:	1061 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	21991

A ordinance survey map of the areas of interest showing Upper Roscommon Street And Netherfield Place, both unknown to me before now, map date is 1952 which means I would have been three!

Name:	Rossy area map--.jpg 
Views:	1842 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	21993

Peeling the 1000 layers of the onion,
    Chas

All images supplied by LRO

Blog Entries

Thumbs up A FEW UNKNOWNS

Where is it? Some pics at LRO are filed as Roscommon St but I can't be precise on their actual location.
    Here's one where the only identifying feature is a painting of a cow on wall (near RH side). Presumably a dairy, might ring a few bells!

Name:	Rossy Area cow wall.jpg 
Views:	675 
ID:	22003
    No idea for pic 2, below.I've captioned it " Rossy area- to the left mum & two kids, streetlight, a dog is to the right" Pic 3 shows the same end house from a different angle. Pic 4 should be recognizable by the street sign. To the left a coal man delivers to the soon to be "Desolation Row"

Name:	Rossy area- to the left mum & two kids, streetlight, a dog is to the right.jpg 
Views:	961 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	21998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rossy area- street unidentified.jpg 
Views:	655 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	21999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coalmn in Rossy Area -LEAN.jpg 
Views:	859 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	22001

All pics LRO source.
    Cheers,
    Chas

Blog Entries

Higham Street, Roscommon St, I'll post two more of this site of an accident tomorrow.
    Ta George,
    Regards,
    Chas

You'll known Netherfield Place when you see a pic of it Chas. It's the classic Netherfield Road photo of the stepped terrace shown here, 6th photo down.

http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/?s=netherfield

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Did you look on the reverse of the photos Chas as they're normally captioned.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

I also notice Chas that on your last pic, Leander Street is possibly the name of the street in the background which although the Everton area, it is not covered on your Rossy area map. Perhaps you just got an Everton CPO area folder out?

Leander Street is possibly the name of the street in the background which although the Everton area
    Brownlow hill area to be exact,Ged.

Leander Road then

Behave yerself,Ged...yer should know by now that roads where only named when they where longish? and streets where named because of them being shorter than roads.

its a street and possibly mixed up with the wrong file?

Maybe.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Ged;352116]You'll known Netherfield Place when you see a pic of it Chas. It's the classic Netherfield Road photo of the stepped terrace shown here, 6th photo down.

http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/?s=netherfield
    ---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

You're right,I have seen that pic,Ged. Looking at it I should have realized the terraced area was really not part of Netherfield Road.
    Three gold stars and you're the milk monitor this week.

Any thoughts about Upper Roscommon st?
    Captions
    I did see some references in pencil, but the first two I came across were definitely wrong. Caption said Roscommon Street and they were obviously back Roscommon Street. Didn't take much notice after that. As far as I know these photos were somehow stored under Roscommon St.
    Wrong folders
    Could be right, that's why I said I was not familiar with the streets. There were some pics showing failing brickwork that I didn't recognize, just close ups that could have been anywhere. I only chose the pics that might be familiar to people,
    Cheers, Ged,
    Chas

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Behave yerself,Ged...yer should know by now that roads where only named when they where longish? and streets where named because of them being shorter than roads.

its a street and possibly mixed up with the wrong file?
    George,
    I think you and Ged are both correct. Leander Street is listed in Kellys 1963 but no occupants. I'm a bit vague at the best of times, what stands there now?
    Regards,
    Chas

Blog Entries

George,
    Here's the two additional pics of the accident scene in Rossy. There is a total of 3 stored as one clip. Thanks to LRO and Roger Hull in particular for the enlargements.

Name:	Roscommon St - Higham St  accident pics.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	663.1 KB 
ID:	22014
    Enlarged

Name:	Higham St - Roscommon St, 79-81 Stables and house.jpg 
Views:	699 
Size:	378.8 KB 
ID:	22016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roscommon St - Higham St  accident pic 1.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	398.8 KB 
ID:	22015
    First pic shows house where I lived (next to Rossy school playground),pic taken from Higham St.
    Second pic is taken from Rossy towards Higham Street, Might have been taken from just outside our house. I can recall the men gathering on a Sunday morning to play pitch and toss on this waste ground, although the ground was a lot firmer then, in fact in summer it bloomed with dandelions. The olla ( ?) was an ideal place to start a game of kick the can (lallyo) , lots of entries and side streets to hide in. I recall the lamp post shown here, a piece of rope left constantly dangling to swing on.At lighting up time the lighter upper would turn on the lamp ( 1950's, was this job still being done?), a little later the Teds would gather around it. Never any trouble, aaah, those were the days.
    Melancholy gets you when you least expect it,
    Chas

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast