Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobiles

Default Mobiles

I dont mean mobile phones either. I am talking about mobile shops , when I was young. We used to have a guy called Vic, who used to drive around in blue van, and every friday and saturday evening, you would hear his bell, he would park opposite our house, and we eagerly waited our turn in the quite long queue, to get some Smiths Crisps (with the little blue salt in) At the time, the only flavour you could get was plain. Some sweets or chocolates, and when I was a bit older, I used to buy looseys off him (unbeknown to my mum and dad). It was the highlight of the evening for alot of kids in our road. At the time, not everyone had a car to nip to the local shops, and anyhow the shops would not normally be open in the evenings, so we relied on the likes of Vic, who also sold a small selection of groceries too. We also had a guy who used to come around every Saturday afternoon, selling fruit and veg. We always got our fruit, veg and potatoes off him, his name was Spud, obviously a nickname, but I remember his face to this day. He used to sell Schofields Lemonade, Dandelion and Burdock, Sasparella, whatever flavour you fancied , he had. We used to take the empties back to him, and get a few pence. How things are so different now.

Blog Entries

We used to have a big red Co-op van coming around. It was like an Alladins cave in there. I remember the bread man too, I think it was called Craigs Pantry.

Yes, the name Craigs Pantry rings a bell too (excuse the pun) We had a breadman, milkman , rent man, coalman, rag and bone man, ice cream man. No wonder parents were fat in those days, they never had to move from the house. ha ha ha.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindac8941 View Post
    Yes, the name Craigs Pantry rings a bell too (excuse the pun) We had a breadman, milkman , rent man, coalman, rag and bone man, ice cream man. No wonder parents were fat in those days, they never had to move from the house. ha ha ha.
    Wonder why they disappeared. You'd think today, there would be more of a demand for them.

I know, but I think its because alot of people have transport now. Heres a thing tho, at Asda and alot of other supermarkets, you can now pay for your own items, at the self service tills. Now I wont use them because I think eventually it is going to do people out of jobs. They might gradually change more over to self service, then get rid of staff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindac8941 View Post
    I know, but I think its because alot of people have transport now. Heres a thing tho, at Asda and alot of other supermarkets, you can now pay for your own items, at the self service tills. Now I wont use them because I think eventually it is going to do people out of jobs. They might gradually change more over to self service, then get rid of staff.
    I see it with the petrol stations. More and more are going unmanned. Asda is particularly bad for this.

See the homepage of my site for our local mobile which wasn't very mobile as it had flat tyres and was stationed there 24/7 which got in the way of our footy matches. Also pics on my site of mobiles in Vauxy, in Canny farm and off Scottie.

Like tardis's inside, some of them, what they didn't stock wasn't worth having.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    See the homepage of my site for our local mobile which wasn't very mobile as it had flat tyres and was stationed there 24/7 which got in the way of our footy matches. Also pics on my site of mobiles in Vauxy, in Canny farm and off Scottie.

Like tardis's inside, some of them, what they didn't stock wasn't worth having.
    I've seen that Ged, nice one. They were the ones from the eighties though. They all seemed tatty motors selling stuff at double the cost. I was thinking of those from the sixties, they seemed to be run by big companies.

Aye. I think linda's original post though meant the one man band/local family entrepeunerial types.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Aye. I think linda's original post though meant the one man band/local family entrepeunerial types.
    Oh, they seemed to boom in the eighties. I wonder why? then they just disappeared.

There's still the lemo man (probably a different one) going round by me. I saw him the other weekend and was shocked that there was still a business for him.

U don't really need the mobile shops anymore coz u just go to Tesco, Asda or if u're posh, Ocado and order ur stuff online

Debra

We had a moblie for years in Sir Thomas White gardens , I loved it , it was magical when you were a kid , it had a wooden step that you climed up on , Vinnies it was called ..

There was a "Moby" where my Nan and Grandad lived in Kirkby, mind you it was a good job the nearest shop was miles away !...

Not a "Moby" but I lived in Rosslyn Street and if you cut through the entry someone had a shop in their back yard !, great little place and so handy when you ran out of basics !

Debra

Quote Originally Posted by squiggs View Post
    There was a "Moby" where my Nan and Grandad lived in Kirkby, mind you it was a good job the nearest shop was miles away !...

Not a "Moby" but I lived in Rosslyn Street and if you cut through the entry someone had a shop in their back yard !, great little place and so handy when you ran out of basics !
    Oh a shop in a back yard , that would have been like magic land to a kid ...

Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    Oh a shop in a back yard , that would have been like magic land to a kid ...
    When my Aunty first asked me to go the shop for her and then told me where it was I thought she had gone loopy !!, but sure enough I found it, it was great !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast