Thread: Woodhouse Furniture Store, Lord Street

Default Woodhouse Furniture Store, Lord Street

Anyone know anything about Woodhouse Furniture Store? It was in Lord Street and suffered bomb damage during WW2.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

I remember a Cavendish and Woodhouse, was it the same place?
    I furnished my first place from them in 1970. Bedroom suite, dining room suite and 3 peice suite, all on HP.
    I remember someone from the finance company coming to see me asking if I was taking too much on with the £2.50 per week repayments.
    There will always be people who take things the wrong way.
    Click HERE to hear a clicky sound.

Cheers Pete.

Not sure if it survived WW2. I dont know anything about it.

I have a ancestor who started work as a cleaner there in 1951. She was on her first day in work and was in the canteen having a cup of tea. The building next door was bomb damaged and the workmen were working on it. Part of the building collasped and landed on the canteen. The two women inside were both killed.

Quentin_Sharples

A new building was erected after the war.
    The masonry was supplied by William Thornton of Wellington Road, Toxteth, who also worked on Lewis's, St Nicholas' Church, India Buildings, etc., at that time.
    Woodhouse's ended up as What Everybody Wants, and was demolished for Liverpool One.
    The new Barclays Bank is on part of the site.

Cheers Mate

Talking about furnishing the house , I take a lot of interest in decoring the place with furniture and plants ... While talking about it, these two things are my priorities... how about yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Semmie View Post
    Talking about furnishing the house , I take a lot of interest in decoring the place with furniture and plants ... While talking about it, these two things are my priorities... how about yours.
    so far 32 years in furniture manufacturing /retailing looks like another 32 before all debts paid off the way biz is at the mo

Woodhouse merged with cavendish to become Cavendish Woodhouse then became part of Times furnishing which was swallowed up by Harris Queensway. They used to run a finance system like the the provi ,once you had paid off so much you could then buy more stuff the accounts office where you went and paid each week was always on the top floor or the back of the shop so you had to walk through the shop and give the salespeople a chance to approach and sell more kit...