Page 9 of 111 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs of Liverpool and Merseyside

PhilipG

Default Punch & Judy.

Bolton Street.

I'm starting to feel like wanting my own pub one day, even though I don't drink alcohol!

I think It's the traditional thing and social thing about pubs.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Bolton Street.

Phil, don't know why it took me 12 hours to find this pic, but it's a cracker

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Phil, don't know why it took me 12 hours to find this pic, but it's a cracker
    Thanks, Dave.

Gerard

Superb Photie Phil..Absolutely superb Lad..

Gerard - calm down, calm down dear it's only a commercial

I hope you don't think I had anything to do with the removal of your dvd off the scottie press site as I certainly have no juristiction over Ron and as you know I think it's brill and I think we appreciate each others ventures and bringing the Gerard Gardens area some recognition.

Ron's idea for the Pontack could actually save it from demolition in the long run and as i've witnessed a number of my old addresses bite the dust, I think it should be something you might consider worth supporting.

The fantastic pool achievements that you once emailed me were indeed just that - fantastic and of course they would take pride of place in your ma's arl place, i'm sure she'd be very very proud of you. It wouldn't be a case of Pontack or Gerard Gardens experts coming out of the woodwork, all those ex residents have a story to tell as we've seen at these screenings and book launches. Tommy O'Keefe has some fantastic old photos of the area as does Joe Devine as you know, Mr Ryan in the bungalow at the top of your road was one of the first families in the Gardens in the mid 1930s when he moved from Christian Street where he was born.

I had my first shandy in the Ponnie after many years being served at the hatch with lemo and crisps so to keep the old building there as a heritage centre would be far more fitting than it's most recent use as a private detective agency me arl mate. Great pub photies by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Ged & Gerard.
    Great pics.
    Gerard, are your's quite recent?
    Ged, roughly, when were yours taken?

Thanks in advance.

Phil. Mainly late 90s - I have about another 60 of these, I posted some on another thread, past Liverpool images I think. The Shenanagans one is more recent though because it was the Rising Sun until a few years back, the Brunswick is now closed down.

I did a few along the dock road like Bonkers and The Sandhills before they were demolished. I did the A1 at LLoyds during demoltion and the Dominion is looking a bit sad these days.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Phil. Mainly late 90s - I have about another 60 of these, I posted some on another thread, past Liverpool images I think. The Shenanagans one is more recent though because it was the Rising Sun until a few years back, the Brunswick is now closed down.

I did a few along the dock road like Bonkers and The Sandhills before they were demolished. I did the A1 at LLoyds during demoltion and the Dominion is looking a bit sad these days.
    Thanks, Ged.
    I'm anal about dating things!

I only got onto doing the pubs in the late 90s because Freddie O'Connor beat us all to them so I didn't really see the point but I took them just to keep them because at least they were in colour.

PhilipG

I only got onto doing the pubs in the late 90s because Freddie O'Connor beat us all to them so I didn't really see the point but I took them just to keep them because at least they were in colour.
    It's interesting what prompts us to take photos.
    I watched the Rialto burn down in the riots (1981), and wondered where all the other cinemas in Liverpool were, so I did some research and started photographing them all in 1982.

I started photographing the tenements in the late 80s but only got around so many before some were demolished. I missed out on my own ones near Scottie but luckily a local chap called Joe Devine took loads. Co-incidentally I'd just started reading Freddy O'Connors 'It all came tumbling down' - I honestly can't remember what came first - whether that influenced me - or whether i'd just started taking them anyway - it's all a bit of a blur - mainly due to drinking 5 nights a week ha ha.

PhilipG

I started photographing the tenements in the late 80s but only got around so many before some were demolished. I missed out on my own ones near Scottie but luckily a local chap called Joe Devine took loads. Co-incidentally I'd just started reading Freddy O'Connors 'It all came tumbling down' - I honestly can't remember what came first - whether that influenced me - or whether i'd just started taking them anyway - it's all a bit of a blur - mainly due to drinking 5 nights a week ha ha.
    "It all came tumbling down" influenced me as well.
    I knew Liverpool had lost a lot in the War, but that was a drop in the ocean compared to what went in the 1960s - and the demolition continues.
    Most of the pubs seemed to survive the 1960s, but they're getting pulled down at an alarming rate now.

Don't get me started on the cinemas!
    The Futurist, the Scala, the Bedford in Walton, and the Princess in Kirkdale are all threatened with demolition.

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    .................................................. ...............
    "He's now proposing the Pontack since that has fallen into disuse."

As your well aware Ged my Mam who was born in Gerard Street and then grew up in Gerard Gardens took the Pontack and was the longest serving tennant of nearly 20 years in the Pub..I myself grew up in the Pub before moving into Gerard Gardens when I got Married..Does this mean we are gonna have Ponnie experts everywhere Now..People who Didnt even know the place existed when it was open...I wont be able to sleep Lad with the thought of that...Ehh..
    Fair point Gerard. but if they dont open these places then i would never learn of the area. Im not from there but my family all lived there and its great for me to learn where my roots are. the Scottie press and lots of people , you and Ged included have let me see what the place was like and i get an understanding of the place. My dad was proud to be from Scottie. all my ancestors settled there from Ireland. Plus if they opened the Pontack i could listen to people like you telling me how it was. Sometimes when im out i get talking to old people and leave me mates having a drink, when i come back they say was he a Scottie roader and i say yes. thats what its like for me. I love hearing about the place.

Gnomie

Gerard Mate i dont blame you for anything. i just want to learn about the Scottie area. as i said people like you have learned me loads.

And i like your replies. always honest and interesting.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Vauxhall Rd circa 1981.
    Great images! I was round by the Marble House (formerly Threlfalls) and saw that it is now a cafe serving the local student population at the newly built campus for the Liverpool Community College.
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Page 9 of 111 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast