Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Images of Liverpool Past

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I think a car show room is there now isn't it?
    yep think it's for commercial vehicles. there's another one for cars on the opposite side.

Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Smile That,s my G G Grandmother outside the fishermans hut

That,s my G G Grandmother outside the fishermans hut
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Sefton Park gates in teh distance. Farm out of piucture to the left. I recall the cows there.

At Otterspool and demolished in the 1930s. There was a dock at Otterspool.

I remember going into the shop at the end - pretty sure I'm right.

Here is it too.
    UK Urban Exploration Forums

Was this in Wavetree?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2539850664_6eae9ab8a6_o.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	7979  
    Last edited by philkennerley; 10-01-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Default fishermans cottage

Hi Phil
    Thought I would tell you about the coincidence of that picture,Im an oldie and in sheltered accom.down the hall is a woman called Anita and I did some research on the Kennerley,s for her.She was made up with that picture,think she said the younger one was her mother.anyway Phil,all the best.Loudon

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

One of my New Year's resolutions has to be NOT looking at this thread when I am ready to leave my apartment. I get so engrossed and time goes by at a gallop!!!

Keep it up please, I like to save this thread for late night reading.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Another 100+ photos added to my site after a busy weekend in the records office, uploading some of my old pics to disc, a few private contributors contacting me and getting out and about myself.

Pages updated over the last couple of days are:

The post war black and white page....

The slums and courts page....

The schools page....

The people and places page....

The other tenements page....

The streets ahead page....

Happy viewing!!!!
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Bloomin eck Ged, I will be busy for ages now, thats millions of pics you've added. Well done Sir.

I like the one " Looking down Mitford Street " with the 3 lads walking up the hill, and the prams outside the wash house. Great photos Ged, well done for preserving them and bringing them to our attention.

Im off for another nose

Tony
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Another 100+ photos added to my site after a busy weekend in the records office, uploading some of my old pics to disc, a few private contributors contacting me and getting out and about myself.

Pages updated over the last couple of days are:

The post war black and white page....

The slums and courts page....

The schools page....

The people and places page....

The other tenements page....

The streets ahead page....

Happy viewing!!!!
    Ged.

Just been looking at your site. keep it up, it's people like yourself who are opening the doors for future generations. I know many pictures can be found at the library but the internet and YO Liverpool, can spread the photos to a wider audience who might not know of the local history library.

You might be able to help me out! The Shrewsbury Club first started out in an old pub building on the corner of Mansfield St and Wakefield St, Off St Ann St. We have one very poor photo of the club which is not good enough to print. Have you any old views of these streets that may give us a picture of this corner. ( I have looked in the library for both these streets, with no luck). Hope you can Help!

Cheers Samp

Thanks for the comments Tony and Samp.

As well as enlarging the Record office/libraries on-line collection to a larger visability on my site and sometimes adding additional information, I also make a point of getting out and photographing street scenes and buildings that they do not have on-line whereby you actually have to go down to the search room and sit and wait for them then photograph them and write down the details and then upload them etc etc. It's a labour of love though so not boring and the excitement is waiting for them and wondering what will be unearthed as you open the folder. For instance I got the ribble bus co and toxteth riots folders out and there were some cracking pictures I photographed to include on my site and all with the LRO permission as they too like to preserve their collection and spread the word far and wide. I noticed on some of the folders, I was either the first or not very many people had seen some of these photos before, so it's a case of bringing them to a larger audience.

I'm only up to 1989 on scanning my old pics with my own people and places photos so there's a whole 2 decades to go yet which are currently spread over 11 photo albums so i'll just do the best of the rest. It's good to see the interior of some pubs of the past or living rooms etc.

I will look into that old pub building Samp, I know that side of Mansfield Street had an open air swimming baths and there was a bowling green behind some of the Judges properties on St. Anne street, it was once a very affluent area with merchants houses.

That would be Larkhill Lane clubmoor,not Lark lane, Kev. With the farmers arms , the new building in the background. Sorry to nit pick.
    Great photies, anyway.
    Regards Paul

Default The Clock pub

[QUOTE=Ged;32860]

The clock on the corner of Richmond Row and Drinkwater Gardens, full swing lemonade firm was nearby. If you saw the 'oller' now, you wouldn't believe a pub had ever been there.

Many thanks for posting this old photo of the Clock. What is more important is the people standing in front of it, especially the chap with the beard, John Ford (known as Fordie) and his wife Harriet. She was the manageress there and played league darts around the area. John sadly died from cancer in the April of 2002 in the Royal hospital. I had worked with him in Dista (Lilly) Speke since 1975 and had many a great laugh and good and interesting work times with him. He was a plumber by trade and became multi skilled in the mid 80s when it was the flavour of the time. He was a good fair, truthful and trusting unionist.
    He is sadly missed by all his old work mates and friends.
    I will pass this photo (if you don't mind) on to his wife as i know she will treasure it.
    He was a funny bugger!

Many thanks again ..... Neil .......

Brilliant Neil, glad it's on interest to you.

Default The Clock group photo

Brilliant Neil, glad it's on interest to you.

Thanks for that Ged, by the way .. did you take the actual photgraph of the group outside of the Clock pub or did you find in on another website etc ???
    If you took the photo, then do you know / remember who the other people are in the frame ??

Cheers Neil .........

A local photographer took the photo, he took loads in the area during the 80s. I'll have a look to see if I can recognise anyone else on the photo.

A local photographer took the photo, he took loads in the area during the 80s. I'll have a look to see if I can recognise anyone else on the photo.
    Sorry to trouble you, but would it be possible for you to download a higher resolution photo for me so that i could print it off for his wife.

Cheers Neil ........

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021