Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Burial Grounds

MissInformed

Default Liverpool Burial Grounds

I was flicking through 'Liverpool Heritage Walk' before, and I read about Roscoe memorial gardens. Saying that William Roscoe was buried there, but I assume the grave (as a headstone above ground) no longer exists....?

It got me thinking about other burial grounds in the city that have been built upon. e.g Necropolis, and Church Street cemetery, also the one that was on the corner of Paradise Street (where Edge hill mole was buried).
    How do people get the rights to build upon graves?

The most obvious one is St James Cemetery in front of the cathedral,thousands of gravestones have been removed from there.

From the way I understand it...

The Home Office grant licences for rebuilding.Generally if graves are to be disturbed then the remains have to be removed and re-interred,with licences usually granted for this if they are 100 years old or more.

I'm not sure what the situation is in the case of the Roscoe memorial gardens, where it was a matter of removing gravestones but not actually disturbing the graves themselves.

MissInformed

hmmm... that's really interesting ste thank you...

I would like to find out about this in a bit more detail.

I remember lads from our school used to go down the crypts in Anfield cemetery,I think there was a bar missing on a small window by a spiral staircase or something,the gravestones were actually in the walls I believe,one for Snappel maybe?

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I remember lads from our school used to go down the crypts in Anfield cemetery,I think there was a bar missing on a small window by a spiral staircase or something,the gravestones were actually in the walls I believe,one for Snappel maybe?

aye! one for our snappel! lets get him down there!

Not been built on but anyone interested in old cemeteries and hasn't seen it yet - The old Jewish cemetary at the top of Deane road on Kenny is wel worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    Not been built on but anyone interested in old cemeteries and hasn't seen it yet - The old Jewish cemetary at the top of Deane road on Kenny is wel worth a look.
    More information on that can be found here

http://www.edwardjkelly.com/deaneroadcem.htm

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    I only discovered that one when we took a wrong turn on the way home from tuebrook a few months ago!
    The archway is truly fantastic...

theninesisters

There's an archway in St Mary's Edge Hill that goes under one of the gravestones. Well rumoured was that Williamson built a tunnel to go from his house on Mason Street to the church to avoid getting wet - however his main church was St Thomas Park Lane so we're not sure on this story.

The archway is backfilled with spoil but we're trying to make sure that it may well be a tunnel, not part of the graveyard seeing as the church and graveyard is built up higher than the surrounding grounds.

As soon as I'm home, I'll post a picture!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Havn't been in there for a while, but the last time I looked the crypt was tinned up to keep out vandals.

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Havn't been in there for a while, but the last time I looked the crypt was tinned up to keep out vandals.

it's a shame these people spoil it for people like us!

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    it's a shame these people spoil it for people like us!
    Bar Stewards.

MissInformed

do all bodies get moved when burial grounds are built on?

There are several grassed-over graveyards around. Here's St. Michael in the Citys' graveyard from this summer. About 2 years ago there were plans to remove the bodies to build...you guess...luxury flats. I don't know if the exhumations ever happened, but its' current use is as a dog-toilet.
    The houses at the bottom of this pic were built on the site of Kent Gardens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St_Michaels_in_the_City_July_2006.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	534  

MissInformed

hi marky
    great pic.
    It seems so disrespectful to me, that bodies (albeit of sometimes over 100 years old) get treated so badly.
    Nothing to do with religion, but just sheer common decency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast