Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Images of Wirral

MariaC

Quote Originally Posted by drone_pilot View Post

Love this one.
    I love your photos Kebabman. Thanks for sharing. The Marine Lake in West Kirby looks magnificent.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

A few shots from around Wirral...
    nb.These are yet to appear on Flikr, so this is a sneek preview of whats to come you lucky things!

Birkenhead Park Looking over one of the greens toward houses which line Ashville Road

Lake, Birkenhead Park There are infact two lakes in Birkenhead Park, this is the one in the lower park which is the segment between Ashville Road and Park Road East.

Birkenhead Park All footpaths running through the park have been repaired and now have a gravel surface. I took this one fine evening when walking from Liscard over to Tranmere. It was such a wonderful evening!

Sandfield Road, New Brighton This rather pleasant road rises up from Seabank Road to meet Rake Lane. It may look like an ordinary side road, but it also has small terraces running off it...

Cypress Terrace, New Brighton One of the aforementioned terraces. Its so easy not to notice these as they are rather concealed.

Off Sandfield Road, New Brighton This was rather quirky I thought so it got captured!

Sandfield Road, New Brighton Looking down toward Seabank Road with Bootle and the Lancs hills in the distance.

Poulton Road, Somerville, Wallasey I just had to show this to finish off. It was causght this afternoon and shows a great contrast in buildings. The foreground shows whats left of the Edwardian/Victorian suburb of Seacombe/Somerville with the new Beetham West Tower now dominating the suburban scene. If you like your contrasting scenes, this part of Wallasey is a great place to be!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Hate to bump the thread, but its been over a week so hopefully this is ok.

A few shots from around Bebington/Poulton Lancelyn area...

The Village, Bebington The Rose and Crown pub can be seen in the background is one of Bebington's local landmarks as is Mayer Hall which was home to Joseph Mayer who was a prominent Liverpool Businessman. It is unfortunate the drinking fountain in the roundabout is obscured somewhat by street furniture but never mind ay!

The Village, Bebington Looking back into Bebington itself, one a thatched cottage predating all modern developments can be seen off to the left. Bebington was once one of those quaint, rural, Wirral Villages. That was before the Mersey Railway and the Ferry service operating from New Ferry opened up this part of Wirral to suburban development.

The Village, Bebington Some rather elegant townhouses possibly dating back from the early 1800's or earlier can be seen here. It is likely that these were occupied by local merchants or were built to show off the agricultural wealth this area was once renowned for. Now, they make desirable properties to both live and work in.

Oaklands Drive, Bebington Away from the village core, Bebington is primarily built up of neat, suburban houses which sit beside tree-lined roads. It was during the 1930's as with most places, when Bebington really started to expand.

The Three Stags, Spital The pub you see here sits beside a very busy crossroads which locally bears the same name.

Spital Crossroads, Spital The Three Stags Pub is just off to the right. This is a suprisingly busy junction (not that this image shows it well!) where routes from Bromborough, Bebington and Poulton Lancelyn meet with Brimstage Road which takes you out to the M53 as well as Clatterbridge Hospital.

Poulton Road, Poulton Lancelyn Just below Spital Crossroads is the Poulton Lancelyn estate. This is a rather upmarket suburb of South Wirral which is made all the more desirable by good access to the M53 as well as Raby Mere which is reached by driving a short distance down Poulton Road.

Hopefully this gave some of you an insight into what a possibly unfamiliar part of South Wirral looks like. I will be making a visit to Bromborough at some point in time so thats something for you to look forward to!
    Last edited by wallasey; 06-01-2007 at 07:00 PM.

PhilipG

Default New Brighton, early 1960s.

Another of exacta2a's wonderful photos.
    Everybody now. Aaaaaaaaaah!

Last edited by PhilipG; 06-10-2007 at 07:02 PM.

PhilipG

Beautiful photos, Wallasey.
    Don't know how I missed them before.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post

Nice photo. I have post a pic of mine with a couple of kids with bucket and spade at New Brighton but it is a slide I need to have scanned. Stay tuned!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

chippie

Some very nice photos on this thread. Very tranquil indeed. Well done everyone

The cars look very posh at the Three Stags.. and I particularly like the pic of Sandfield Road, New Brighton.. Nice looking places... ta

Thank you for your kind comments everyone; very much appreciated!

The image of those kids in New Brighton was particually interesting as the old ferry landing stage is visable in the background which was nice to see.

Steven

Superb Mate,
    It brings back memories of the gang of us going from King Gardens to New Brighton. With a bottle of water each, then getting our Conny Yonny Butties full of sand.

Cheers mate

PhilipG

Default Having a break.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post

I was so keen to put exacta2a's photo on that I forgot to give it its title, which is "Having a break" and the caption was:

"New Brighton prom by the old pier and paddling pool
    sadly no longer with us, taken in the early 60`s"
    Last edited by PhilipG; 06-12-2007 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Title, etc.

Great photographs, Wallasey. That street sign you photographed "Passage No. 2" looks to be a very old sign.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Great photographs, Wallasey. That street sign you photographed "Passage No. 2" looks to be a very old sign.

Chris
    Yes, it is quite quirky isn't it? Never come across anything like that before, so was rather chuffed to find such a feature!

Many Thanks

Hi Rob

I think those enamel signs were in use around the turn of the twentieth century, so it may have been up there that long at least. Possibly PhilipG might know more about the dates of such street signs.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Rob

I think those enamel signs were in use around the turn of the twentieth century, so it may have been up there that long at least. Possibly PhilipG might know more about the dates of such street signs.Chris
    Can't help really.
    I've learned that the oldest street signs in Liverpool have serifs on the letters, but don't know when enamelled ones were used (or even why they were used).
    The streets off Lark Lane had blue enamelled street signs - there are only 2 left.
    I think I've seen one in Garston, but don't know of any others.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast