Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R S Clare smugglers tunnels rumours

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default R S Clare smugglers tunnels rumours

This rumour is based around a pirate/privateer/captain Crow who was supposed to have had smugglers tunnels leading to the river.
    R S Clare is one of the oldest companies (over 250 yrs) in the area and is based at Stanhope street but there is a Crow street which crosses the site (it's been closed off by the company for many years)
    The site is supposed to have been used previously by Crow.
    I first heard this in the 1970's, but not a thing since. Nice rumour though.

Is than down by Cain's brewery?

Bottom of Stanhope street. The original Crow Street sign still exists.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stanhope_Street_Dec_2003.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	300  

MissInformed

OOHH just been past there...about 5 mins from my house.
    Would be great if there were tunnels!!

MissInformed

I have just emailed RS Clare, and sent them a link to this!
    Hopefully will hear something back

theninesisters

Is than down by Cain's brewery?
    You mean you've never taken the boat in the underground river under Cains?

Re: Cains...I read the brewery recently began to use an underground water source in their beer. (Liverpool Echo mentioned it)

Did anyone photograph the buildings near there, to the left of the Coburg pub, as I've heard they're nearly demolished. I went past a couple of weeks ago and thought they were getting their roofs repaired...shows what I know. Seems all the buildings from Parliament St. to the Coburg pub are going?

MissInformed

there is not much left of them now!
    I go past there twice a day.
    will try to take a pic later...

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Re: Cains...I read the brewery recently began to use an underground water source in their beer. (Liverpool Echo mentioned it)

Did anyone photograph the buildings near there, to the left of the Coburg pub, as I've heard they're nearly demolished. I went past a couple of weeks ago and thought they were getting their roofs repaired...shows what I know. Seems all the buildings from Parliament St. to the Coburg pub are going?
    Yes,somebody did. [not me]

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=411816

I went past the site recently-currently they've dug down about three storeys below Caryl St-and so far the whole lot hasn't collapsed into Cain's lake. Yet!

Dave.

theninesisters

For 's sake! isn't the council going to leave us with any of our Heritage? I used to go past these buildings on the way to work in Sefton Street and you used to see massive barges being constructed and always the flash of a blue torch. Now they're gone for some MORE high rise flats.

It's horrible to say this, but I can't wait for 2008 to come and go so we show our city off and then everyone naffs off and leaves the city like a ghost town.

Then I will be the 1st person to knock on the Council Offices and kindly show them what we've lost, how many flats are now empty and tell them 'I told you so'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post

It's horrible to say this, but I can't wait for 2008 to come and go so we show our city off and then everyone naffs off and leaves the city like a ghost town.

:
    That's a stupid, stupid thing to say.
    All because you're not happy with some of the council's choices

I don't want them to leave the city like a ghost town. That would just be sad. I am angry as well about them knocking down alot of the older buildings. some of them where really beautiful pieces of architectural heritage, grade two listed buildings, and they knocked them down. They have also took away alot of the parkland in the city centre, so where will people go now to sit and relax on a hot day? It really annoys me. I used to go for quiet sits on chavasse park, when they took that away I went to man island but now there is the park behind the georges hall an thats it.

Back onto Clares, there are vaults underneath, I am not allowed to see them though cus of health and safety. Dunno if there are tunnels though.

And funny someone should post a sign of crow street, I was going to do that very thing this morning but I saw someone had beat me to it XD.
    I wonder if he'll make me crawl. I wonder how far I might fall. I'm stuck beneath my skin I don't know who to blame for this mess I'm in. Involuntarily falling to my knees another victim of heart disease. Another Night without a dark tunnel, stay in bed so I can't be stolen. And everything revolves around the fear of my fate. Everyday a little closer to death.

The new Grosvenor development will contain parkland and fountains.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Still...wont be my parks will it, the ones i have gone to since i was a baby...just aint gunna be the same.
    I wonder if he'll make me crawl. I wonder how far I might fall. I'm stuck beneath my skin I don't know who to blame for this mess I'm in. Involuntarily falling to my knees another victim of heart disease. Another Night without a dark tunnel, stay in bed so I can't be stolen. And everything revolves around the fear of my fate. Everyday a little closer to death.

St. John's Gardens is a lovely haven in the middle of a bustling city centre. There's the little known one off Mount Pleasant where the Roscoe is/was (I think). The pier head will have grassed areas again too once the canal link is complete. There's St. Nic's gardens. Together with the big parks, we're supposed to have more than anywhere outside London.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast