I had a surprise note on my Facebook page about a poem I wrote in July 2008 about a Turkish girl who died in a terrorist explosion. I show the Facebook notes from the girl's brother and my reply, then repost the poem. . . .

Dear Mr. George,

Hi, I'm Zeynep from Turkey. At 27th June 2008, a terror attack was happened in İstanbul,Turkey. Seyma who is my only sister was died. And after days when I searched on the internet about Seyma, I found your poem "to Seyma Ozkan". I wanted to write you long time ago but I didn't. Now,I appreciate you, it's beautiful and it's more meaningful for me and my parents. You're so far away from us but you got our troble. I'd like to say more but my word isn't enough. I send a link about Seyma from my aunt's husband's personal web page. Again thanks so much.http://exoriente.net/?p=83

Best regards.
Zeynep OZKAN

Hello Zeynep

I am very pleased to hear from you and am glad that you liked my poem about your sister who died so senselessly. She is a martyr and a victim who should not have died in such a horrible way. You have my sincere condolences on the loss of your sister.

For the benefit of people who have not read my poem, I show it below. Thank you again for your kind words about my poem.

Best regards

Chris George

To Seyma Ozkan

At the explosion, she rushed
to survey the havoc, craned
from the balcony despite

her father's warning;
the next blast shot
shrapnel through her heart.

A balcony should be for
dreaming of sunsets,
fountains, and gardens,