Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The New King Edward Tower

Blog Entries

Default The New King Edward Tower

The old design.....

I like it !!! Roll on...start ASAP! The city needs a distinctive tower like this.
    This colourful design is the newly planned skyscraper to stand on the King Edward pub site in Liverpool replacing a previous version inspired by the city's two cathedrals.
    If it secures planning permission, the tower will stand 165 metres tall with 54 storeys within. The scheme is being developed by Richmont Property Ltd and Y1 Developments and has been modified to help it fit in better with the nascent plans by Peel Property for Liverpool Waters who had objected to the previous plans.

The development will contain offices, a new hotel and apartments making it similar in use to the prior proposals although these details are subject to change as the project is still going through public consultation. Likewise, the precise aesthetic details may be altered although what has surfaced should be at least an approximately facsimile of what gets officially proposed.

The basic shape of the tower remains from before but the plans have gone through a radical makeover with it now split into coloured vertical sections that are largely three storeys each in height and alternate between red, yellow and blue giving it a lego-like appearance and contrasting strongly with the previous more restrained design.

Strips of coloured cladding separate each floor from the next whilst solid coloured panels feature between the glazing. Adding further to the lego-like appearance is the stacked vertical nature of the blocks complete with voids on the lower levels making it look like a child hasn't finished filling in the gaps although in reality these should provide large outside areas for the residents to enjoy.

It's only at the bottom of the tower that the design departs from these colours and a sense of outright fun. At ground level a curving brown grille features sweeping around in front of white crossbracing responding to the curves of the site boundary along Robertson Street and Denison Street.

If the plans for the King Edward site get approval, work could start as early as 2011 and in time for a 2014 finish.
    http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=2455
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Why do we need this?

Do we not have offices and apartments in Liverpool?

Our skyline is going to look so ugly if these crazy ideas keep coming. You will be lucky if you can see the Cathedrals in a few years time the way this is all going.

How many Scousers will Live or work here? How many will build it? very few I would think. Another idea I hope gets thrown out.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

I like it too. Buildings like this will help to raise the profile of the city and contribute to its prosperity which cannot be a bad thing. However I did like the old King Edward pub being there too but its been derelict for years.

What a load of cr4p.

Scuse me?

2nd ones looks better than the 1st picture.

The cathedrals will still be visable as long as these are kept to certain areas.

Is a bit weird how alot of world countries colonised by the British have all these buildings quite common but outside of London in the Uk, there is hardly none!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Debra

It has to be better than an old derelict pub , we can't stay trapped in the past .. While i agree with peresrving some old buildings , the ones worth preserving ..
    I am also all for moving forward , and i for one look forward to some innovative new buildings around Liverpool ....

I agree with Debra.

I love old buildings, and they must be preserved, but I love vibrant new cities too. I too would look forward to seeing some fabulous new buildings in Liverpool, ( as long as they ARE fabulous and not just a lump of concrete, and as long as they are not left half empty).

I think our waterfront is looking fantastic now and we need to go on adding to it. I would love for us to be bloody stunning like Shangai, Dubai, Melbourne, Toronto or Chicago. Why shouldn't we be a fabulous looking city like they are. You don't have to compromise your old buildings. I love both new and old.

I'm loving the way out waterfront is developing - I can't wait to show it off to people who havn't seen it yet. It could look so much more stunning if they develop further.

Quote Originally Posted by underworld View Post
    Scuse me?
    Not what you said underworld,the building.What an eyesore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Why do we need this?

Do we not have offices and apartments in Liverpool?
    Yes,as the city is to get bigger.

Our skyline is going to look fantastic. The most recognisable waterfront in Europe.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    2nd ones looks better than the 1st picture.

The cathedrals will still be visable as long as these are kept to certain areas.

Is a bit weird how alot of world countries colonised by the British have all these buildings quite common but outside of London in the UK, there is hardly none!
    Well spotted. Look at this Yo blog entry. http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/ent...n-Sucks-us-Dry How London sucks the rest dry. Economist Fred Harrison has a whole chapter in one of his books on the bias towards London and how figures are used to justify the exorbitant public investment in the city. He counters with figures.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I agree with Debra.

I love old buildings, and they must be preserved, but I love vibrant new cities too. I too would look forward to seeing some fabulous new buildings in Liverpool, ( as long as they ARE fabulous and not just a lump of concrete, and as long as they are not left half empty).

I think our waterfront is looking fantastic now and we need to go on adding to it. I would love for us to be bloody stunning like Shangai, Dubai, Melbourne, Toronto or Chicago. Why shouldn't we be a fabulous looking city like they are. You don't have to compromise your old buildings. I love both new and old.

I'm loving the way out waterfront is developing - I can't wait to show it off to people who havn't seen it yet. It could look so much more stunning if they develop further.
    Lindy, a cluster of faceless buildings ,like the first Beetham, is not what we need. Each must be iconic in some way. Beetham West is nice. Even the RSA (Sandcastle) is a great building, it is unique but needs a re-clad of quality cladding and differing colours on each facet, then it will grab attention.

We do not need tall buildings yards from each other either. Building with some style and space around. They they stand out. Lone tall buildings look not so good, like the new large top-heavy Beetham Tower in Manchester. It was put there to encourage others, which I'm sure it will in time.

Beetham Manchester

how it once was?

I preferred the old design. Why do they have to build things with silly bits sticking out all over the place ????

Blog Entries

The old design was a me-too design. The new design is not. It is different and good and grabs attention. The reason why people on this thread are commenting.

Architects Journal

The project backers claim the scheme has been developed following ‘productive negotiations’ with CABE. The developers will be hoping for a better review of the tower than its previous plans
    http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/n...213922.article

how it once was?

I prefer the 2nd pic too - the old design, but it's still better than derelict land on such a gateway into the city from the North end.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast