Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Vines, Lime St-Tunnels

MissInformed

Hi Chris
    I don't think Freddy actually 'claimed' the tunnels went down to the river. He didn't say 'I think' or 'they do' he said 'reputedly'.
    I think he was just voicing what other people thought or a story he had heard.
    Also, the books were published around ten years ago, alot of new research and exploration have gone on since then. I think we should get Freddy on here!!!!!!!

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    That is one of mine and my boyfriends fave books Philip!

It is the most referred to one in our house!

Have you written any more?
    Thank you very much, MissInformed.

The other one was called "Southport: in old Picture Postcards".
    I still want to write the definitive history of Liverpool's early cinemas.

BTW, I love the way your nickname can be taken two entirely different ways.
    1. An informed young lady.
    2. A misinformed young lady.
    Which one would go with?

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Thank you very much, MissInformed.

The other one was called "Southport: in old Picture Postcards".
    I still want to write the definitive history of Liverpool's early cinemas.

BTW, I love the way your nickname can be taken two entirely different ways.
    1. An informed young lady.
    2. A misinformed young lady.
    Which one would go with?
    Thanks Philip! It depends which day you catch me on, as to which one I would go with!

I think you should go for it, and write the book! We can never have enough Liverpool books! (me and my boyfriend are actually looking through 'dream palaces of liverpool' at the moment! trying to find out where the Grand Cinema on Smithdown Road was actually located! any ideas?)

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    Thanks Philip! It depends which day you catch me on, as to which one I would go with!

I think you should go for it, and write the book! We can never have enough Liverpool books! (me and my boyfriend are actually looking through 'dream palaces of liverpool' at the moment! trying to find out where the Grand Cinema on Smithdown Road was actually located! any ideas?)
    After the Grand was demolished the Grand Filling Station opened on the site in 1963.
    It is now called Penny Lane Motors.

MissInformed

many thanks philip
    really appreciate that! do you know if there are any pics of the sefton park picturedrome?

Opposite what was the Blue Star garage on Smithdown Rd. there used to be a do-it-yourself shop.
    There is a horses head on the front of the building, I don't know if it is still there but I was told years ago the the building started life as a cinema.
    Goes anyone know anything about this?.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Opposite what was the Blue Star garage on Smithdown Rd. there used to be a do-it-yourself shop.
    There is a horses head on the front of the building, I don't know if it is still there but I was told years ago the the building started life as a cinema.
    Goes anyone know anything about this?.
    Yes, that is the Sefton Picturedrome.
    The building is still there.
    I'll put it in the "Some Liverpool Cinemas" thread tomorrow.

Ta PhillipG I often wondered about that, must have had a small seating capacity, I don't know when it closed as a cinema but I moved to that area in 1949 and it was a DIY shop then as far as I remember.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Ta PhillipG I often wondered about that, must have had a small seating capacity, I don't know when it closed as a cinema but I moved to that area in 1949 and it was a DIY shop then as far as I remember.
    Yes, it must be one of the oldest businesses in Liverpool.
    It's still going, but it needs rather a lot of DIY itself now.
    It's looking rather sad.

MissInformed

Went past it yesterday, and there is a scaffolding tower around the building, so it looks as if it is having a makeover!

Default reply to your theory

hi well i lived in the pub for 11 years and it seems that there are tunnels in the top cellar in the vines..the tunnel on the right rund up to the adelphi and the other two link together and go west..but i dont know where to as they are blocked off. they are rumoured to go to the albert dock etc but this wouldnt surpise me. also the reason why they have them tunnels is because the vines has an exceptionally large cellar one of the biggest if not the biggest in the city centre and it was used for most pubs to collect their alcohol. for example a large amount would be delivered to the vines and various pub owners would have to collect this and roll the barrels back to their place. just thought ud like to know ask me anythin else if you'd like to know

aaron ainsworth

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing that. It's annoying that so little documentation seems to exist about stuff like this. There are so many rumours and stories of tunnels, plus blocked of passages like these ones and the ones at Baltic Fleet. I'm guessing those who knew where they went are long since dead...

There are tunnels under the pub I live above (The Bears Paw in Edge Hill) although these are more than likely part of Williamsons, Ive actually seen the branch which goes off from the cellar, but its all filled in atm, Ive heard rumours though from a number of local sources, that the tunnels go right down to at least Lewis's, someone I know claims to have accessed them from a tomb in St Marys graveyard over the road, and came out near Lewis's, Liverpool was a MAJOR port so smuggling operations would have been huge. Ive been reading Haunted Liverpool tonight, and Tom Slemen makes reference to tunnels beneath Renshaw Street under Grand Central? Anyone any information on this?

Cheers,

Andrew

Blog Entries

Take no notice of Slemen, he makes thing up. The Williamson's Tunnels' do go a long way. I doubt to Lewis'. There are vast caverns at Copperas Hill from the old copper mines - copperas give the game away. They have been sealed up. Williamson's may have broken into the old copper mine tunnels and caverns.

If they do go that far they could put a underground Merseyrail line down there with the odd station, and then at last the tunnels would be used for something useful.

Smuggling? That far from the port? Nah!
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

My dear auld Ma used to work in the Pig & Whistle many years ago and I remember her telling me that the pub's cellar used to flood out at high tide.
    Mind you being that close to the river it shouldn't be a surprise, but I got the impression the flooding served a 'purpose'.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast