Thread: Havelock Street, 1960s

Blog Entries

Default Havelock Street, 1960s

This photograph of Havelock Street was photographed by Karl Hughes to be used as an illustration in Liverpool author, Frank Shaw's book 'My Liverpool', published in 1971. What is immediately apparent is the traffic-free street, giving the children the freedom to play outside. With no open space nearby and other amenities very limited, the street became a focal point for the community in a way that no longer exists.

More...

George

I see this picture crop up many a time on Yo and the net and as I grew up in this Area ie Albion Street, I don't think this is Havelock street ie Havelock Street was the longest declining Street in the area and this one is too short so I think this is either Joshua Street or Daniel Street?

I may be wrong but willing to be corrected.

Debra

I'm sure Havelock street had an iron handrail going up it , i was a very small child then , but my aunt and uncle lived there .

George

This proves it wasn't Havelock Street ie you can see a street sign near the bottom on the left.at the bottom of havelock street was the wall of John Baggots Hospital on the same left.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Everton-low-res4.jpg 
Views:	1703 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	12823

That is Havekock St, it did have a handrail on the righthand side going up. The children in the photo are blocking it from view.

George

The hand rail didn't come till some years later? however there is a hand rail going down Mitford Street which was on the otherside of John Baggots Hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    This proves it wasn't Havelock Street ie you can see a street sign near the bottom on the left.at the bottom of havelock street was the wall of John Baggots Hospital on the same left.

Name:	Everton-low-res4.jpg 
Views:	1703 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	12823
    George, there was a small terrace behind the hospital were that sign is showing. If you look closely in the same location you will see one of the iron bollards in the middle of the street.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Samp View Post
    George, there was a small terrace behind the hospital were that sign is showing. If you look closely in the same location you will see one of the iron bollards in the middle of the street.
    Here's Mitford Street below now John Baggots wall went the same length as Havvie so compare this with Havvie one.

Name:	0004a.jpg 
Views:	1586 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	12825

George

Quote Originally Posted by Samp View Post
    There was also a small terrace off Joshua Street,don't remember a bollard in Havvie? as we used to slide on waxed boards from the top of havvie right down the middle of it and end up trying to dodge cars? at the bottom of Nethy.

Until I see a different photo of Havvie I'm still not conbinced it is Havvie.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.