Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardens, Tenements and Courts

Yes. Lancelot Keay was also a known fan of the Britz Horseshoe estate that was commenced in 1925 in the NeuKoln district of Berlin. The design of this development is very much incorporated into St. Andrews Gardens (the Bullring)

Anyone remember Beacon Bedworld in London Road, possibly still there I think but Taffy's Carpets in St. John's precinct isn't.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beacon Beds.jpg 
Views:	781 
Size:	309.8 KB 
ID:	968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	taffys.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	347.9 KB 
ID:	969  

Default The Bullrin & Caryl Gardens.

The first pic is of the Lord Mayor and councilors perusing a model of the 312 new flats which were St. Andrews Gardens. The venue is George Henry Lees store which hosted the public Health Exhibition from 13th to 18th May 1935.

The Rt Honourable Sir Kingsley Wood M.P. the Minister for Health laid the foundation stone for these flats on 21st June 1935 on the same day as that for Gerard Gardens.

The 2nd pic shows a model of CarylGardens created by Liverpool Corporation designers Robson & Marsden.

Does anybody know where these model are now. For the record, the National Museums Liverpool, the city architects dept and the Central libraries and records office don't seem to?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bully model ppl.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caryl model.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	977  

This is a copy and pasted email I sent to Dr David Flemming, head of the National Museums Merseyside, the reply will follow next.

I have read with interest the proposals for the new museum of Liverpool life and was a massive fan of the previous one in Mann Island albeit it was too small.

I believe the new one will increase the availability of the large objects you have currently in store from 3% to 6% even though I and many others would like to see 100% of our heritage on show and even a charge to the public to look around the Bootle holding warehouses would surely be viable.

The main reason for my email though is because I have made a 2m x 2m scale model of Gerard Gardens tenement block which was the ‘Jewel in the crown’ of Sir Lancelot Keay’s rehousing development scheme in the 1930s. These Art Deco castle like structures were home to around a quarter of a million people over their 50 year lifespans and of course around half a dozen of these developments still exist in one guise or another, the most notable being the Bullring on Copperas Hill.

As housing will always continue to play a large part in peoples memories as we all need it and still use it. My idea is that there should be an exhibition either permanent (if possible) but definitely a one off, dealing with this issue.

There could be a walk through the ages, starting with the courts, recreating the one that was at Mann Island, bring back the old cobbled street that was in Liverpool museum throughout the 1970s (where you could press a button to the sound of old music and children playing) At this point, St. Martin’s cottages, the first municipal housing in Europe was built, followed by Victoria Square which won an award for their architectural advanced design and then we have the worlds first reinforced concrete prefabs made of clinker, built in Eldon street by John Alexander Brodie.

Next could be the pre WWI era, and you already have a model of Eldon Grove which was and still is in the Vauxhall area with it’s mock tudor designs and railing landings, many of these being built between 1910 and 1914. We then move on to the long boulevards that were the ideas of James Newlands and John Alexander Brodie with the idea of trams down the central reservations and the selling off of land to builders with a frontage tax for having the pleasure of selling houses with such stunning rural like views.

We then move onto Keay’s developments – Homes for the workers. 35,000 new houses built during his reign at the helm of Liverpool Corporation. The art deco tenements sprung up all over the city after a mass slum clearance project. Vauxhall, Kirkdale, Everton, City Centre, Edge Hill, Toxteth, Dingle, Clubmoor, Old Swan, Wavertree, Speke – they were all there, luxury with an inside toilet and electricity as well as gas. Keay also built new townships at Norris Green and Speke which were self contained communities with wash houses, libraries, shops –all integrated. During the war, British Restaurants were introduced to save lighting, heating and cooking in the home. Three of the first four in Britain were built in Liverpool and were situated in these tenements.

After the war, with the chronic housing shortage. Prefabs were all the go. Britian’s largest single development was situated in Netherley though there were many in the city centre area, those in Prince Edwin street only being finally cleared in the 1970s. With land at the premium, the way to go was up in the 1950s and 60s. High rise sprung up all over the city, the first being Coronation Court on the Sparrow Hall Estate. Lots of them built in blocks of three, such as the Piggeries and Sheil Road – they brought stunning views and blow central heating. (HAT last year had an exhibition at the MOLL with a mock up interior of a typical high rise) The 50s also saw the birth of the Unit blocks with their central arch doorway and maisonette type blocks though too. The 1970s saw low level housing estates which were as bad in plan and design as the much maligned high rise. Estates such as the Radcliffe, Gleave Square and the Netherley blocks off Brittage Brow were only to last a decade as they became rat runs and escape routes for criminals.

The 1980s saw a modern slum clearance programme of sorts as the 30s tenements and the more recent high rise, with low level density housing being built to replace these. With all mod cons and front and back gardens, it is this type of housing which is still in favour with the city planners, the inner city high rise being back in vogue, but only by private developers who sell them off as apartments to the wealthy.

David. I feel it is too good an opportunity to miss and indeed a social history that cannot be ignored and would be a massive attraction.

Dear Ged - many thanks for this, which looks really interesting (I've seen your second email too). The model looks fab! I'll send on to our content team for the Museum of Liverpool, who are looking closely at Housing among other topics. I'm sure they will be in touch with you shortly. Many, many thanks for your interest - one of the keys to creating a successful Museum of Liverpool is to engage people such as yourself, who have such a wealth of knowledge about and enthusiasm for the city and its history.

As far as I am concerned this new museum is a Team Liverpool effort: our young staff need all the help and support we can find from people like yourself. You'll find us very "collaboration-minded". It's been frustrating so far to find the architecture of the building so prominent in discussion, when actually it's the museum content which is truly exciting. I think that will dawn on the city as time passes and as the thing begins to take shape at the Pierhead.

Best wishes,

David

If anyone has any ideas for the new Museum, perhaps they won't just fall on deaf ears, though words are cheap and i'll make sure I follow up on this favourable reply.

It would be a shame for us to see the contents of the new museum and say, 'yes it's good but could've been better if this or if that...'

An imput early on from people who care might just make the difference. I see it's mentioned that local groups will be sourced for information - does anyone know of this already, or perhaps it's too early stages just yet?

Ged.

PhilipG

Very interesting history, Ged.

One of my neighbours works at the Maritime Museum and he says that anybody can make arrangements to visit the Large Objects in Bootle.
    So that might be worth following up.

Re suggestions:
    I went to the Housing Exhibition at the Museum of Liverpool Life, & thought there should have been a lot more.
    For example, there were hardly any photos.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 01-19-2007 at 12:11 PM.

I think i'll have to check that out Philip, thanks mate.

Thanks for all the great stuff you are posting Ged. Your pictures and info are very interesting.

PhilipG

Default Gerard Gardens.

June 1986.

June 1987.
    Under demolition.

June 1987.
    The new houses were for some of the tenants of Gerard Gardens, but most of the occupants of the 300+ flats were dispersed far and wide.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 01-20-2007 at 09:01 PM.

MissInformed

these are great photos philip

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    June 1987.
    Under demolition.

As you can see from the two lads pictured here. You could even fish near Gerard Gardens.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    June 1986.

June 1987.
    Under demolition.

June 1987.
    The new houses were for some of the tenants of Gerard Gardens, but most of the occupants of the 300+ flats were dispersed far and wide.
    Great Pics Phil.
    My auntie was the 1st Child born in Gerard Gardens after they opened,She now lives in one of them Houses on the right.

Hey up Gerard. You lived directly above the Hod Carrier and I lived in 8D,directly above the architect.

That bedroom of ours which had the three little windows had that one looking out over the Ponny on one side and a window in the same room, opposite, looking out into the square, ours being the only two.

PhilipG

Lovely photos, Gerard.
    And your captions really personalise them.

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast