Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardens, Tenements and Courts

Someone else has confirmed this to me but i've never seen them pictured anywhere or heard reference to them before. I'll have to check out the streets surrounding them in the records office. My wife said the people from Melrose/Owen/Stanley and Fonthill House in Kirkdale were moved out to by the Shakespeare pub in Bootle and then the people from Heriot Place/Street were moved into the new estate built on the site of Melrose.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by runcorn_lad View Post
    thanks for that philipg. i am really lookin for pics of thornton place and the streets around it. i have already looked on toxteth.net and there is some good pics on there. my family are from around thornton place and the streets around there.

cheers runcorn_lad
    Hi !, my Dad was born in Thornton Place, I have been trying to find pictures without any luck at all !...Mum was born in Bessemer Street and the whole family have lived all over the Dingle here are just some....Marmion Terrace,Stopford Sreet, Monro Street, Beresford Road, Grafton Street, Aberdeen Street, Admiral Place, Northumberland Street, Hughson Street, Park Street, Park Place, Warwick Street,Busbys Cottages ???, Back Chester Street, Gaskell Street,Guest Street,Goring Street, Mann Street, I have traced my family back to the late 1700's and from 1he 1800's have mainly been living in the Dingle/Toxteth

Ooooop nearly forgot I was born in Greta Street, next to the dairy (Thwaites).

Default Squiggs can you help?

Squiggs
    I've just read your last post and wonder if you could possibly help me - if you don't mind that it is? You mention that you were born next to Thwaites Dairy in Greta Street, would you by any chance have any memories of these people at all - good or bad that you could share? Thanks to your post I believe I may have discovered who the Richard Thwaite on my Grandparents wedding certificate is and any info would be greatly appreciated.
    dioraddict

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dioraddict View Post
    Squiggs
    I've just read your last post and wonder if you could possibly help me - if you don't mind that it is? You mention that you were born next to Thwaites Dairy in Greta Street, would you by any chance have any memories of these people at all - good or bad that you could share? Thanks to your post I believe I may have discovered who the Richard Thwaite on my Grandparents wedding certificate is and any info would be greatly appreciated.
    dioraddict
    I think they moved to Allerton and had the house next to the Allerton Odeon with dairy. I worked with Linda Thwaite.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Hi !,
    I remember Richie Thwaite he was really nice I am sure that he had a brither but cant remember his name !...when we moved to Mossley Hill Mum said she bumped into "The Twaites" so maybe they did move to Allerton.They where such a nice family sorry but I was quite young when I moved from Greta Street, however they sold the best ginger beer I have ever tasted in brown ceramic bottles...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squiggs View Post
    Hi !,
    I remember Richie Thwaite he was really nice I am sure that he had a brither but cant remember his name !...when we moved to Mossley Hill Mum said she bumped into "The Twaites" so maybe they did move to Allerton.They where such a nice family sorry but I was quite young when I moved from Greta Street, however they sold the best ginger beer I have ever tasted in brown ceramic bottles...
    I think they lived in Alderton Rd, off Smithdown, then moved to Allerton in the early to mid 1960s. That's if it is the right Thwaites of course.

how it once was?

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    I think they lived in Alderton Rd, off Smithdown, then moved to Allerton in the early to mid 1960s. That's if it is the right Thwaites of course.
    We moved from Greta St in 1966 so you could be right !.

Smile Tenement Info Required

Hi everyone

Im new to this site so please bear with me!!

After years of trying to find out information I have come across your site and how fab is it. The reason I am posting is to ask you all if there were any tenement blocks in Bootle/Kirdale. Specifically off Rimrose/Great Howard Street. I have been looking into this for a while now and I keep hitting brick walls. I am led to believe that there were blocks in Luton Street, Saltney Street, Dublin Street area not far from the Heritage Market by the Tobacco warehouse. A family member who has passed told me about them as a relative used to live there on the third floor apparently. Does anyone know of them at all?

Also, there used to be "prefabs"? I presume these were temporary builds after the war. I really hope someone can help me as I am starting to pull my hair out !

Keep up the good work everyone - brilliant site!!

Regards
    Lonnie74
    xxxxxxxxx

Reckon Ged's the man to ask about these, good luck

Hi there

I wasnt expecting a reply so quickly - thanks very much!! Just hope he notices this post xx

Thanks wsteve. I've replied to you on the introductions thread Lonnie. Good luck. In the meantime i'll see if I can find any. You might want to take a look at this page on my site; http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=44922707&cr=7

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Windsor Gardens

I lived in Windsor Gardens from 1964 to 1974. We were one of the last families to be moved out. I remember World in Action coming to do a programme on the troubles at the time, it must have been made around 1973. It's hard to find any pictures of this tenement block anywhere but I did once stumble on a photo in a book in the city library. Would anyone know how to get hold of the programme? It would be a fascinating piece of film if anyone could get hold of it.
    My mum was brought up in the Four Squares and my grandparents lived in the Piggeries.

I remember that World in Action - I have tried to find it on the inter-net with no luck. I would love to see it as someone I know was being interviewed in it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I remember that World in Action - I have tried to find it on the inter-net with no luck. I would love to see it as someone I know was being interviewed in it.
    A link to the Thames TV programme.
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...1972#post86599

how it once was?