Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardens, Tenements and Courts

My Grandma Rood used to live in Portland Gardens, where she brought up four sons;Frank ,Billy,Tommy and my Dad Jim 1941-2007.I think the number was 39c,I remember it was on the top floor.

Supplied by ex Myrtle Gardens resident Chris Finnegan and passed onto my by Tony Power who runs the Myrtle Gardens/Minster Court website.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Heriot Place tenements

Ive been reading these posts looking for any pictures of the tenements off Boundary Street. These were called Heriot Place. I lived there briefly when very young. My mum, nan and aunty all lived there. I was looking for some pictures to show my kids but couldnt find any. Can anyone help please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Hello Edwardo. Where was Corwen Terrace as it doesn't seem to exist still? I imagine it's court pictures you are looking for rather than tenements, is that right?
    Hello Ged! I know this is a bit late but if you are still interested in Corwen terrace, (someone was making enquires?) it was off the top of Everton Brow, off the first street between salisbury St and Haigh St, which believe it or not was called Coronation St.

I have had a look at your website, fantastic!

Thank you Samp, I add to it practically every monday/tuesday now, the Radcliffe estate pics have just gone on.

Little Lor, the tenements you talk about in Heriot place? How high were these, were they landing tenements? If so, railings or brick walls? I've seen pics of maisonette/3 high self contained 50s style unit/flats in that area in the past.

I think I might have asked you about Heriot st tennies - I'm surprised that they don't get a mention on the various web-sites.
    I knew someone who lived there.

I must look into that then as the only tennies I remember in that area were South of Great Mersey street, not North which Heriot st is, and they were all the way along Latimer st - Woodstock, Ashfield and Hopwood Gardens.

There must be a picture of them somewhere. Anyone from Boundary st would remember them.

I've never seen any in the records office but there are some better known ones not in there too so that's no guide. I've a pic of the Heriot pub on my site and the only flats near them are the 1950s style 3 storey units - not the 1920s or 30s type. I'm off to the records office next weekend so i'll see if there's a Heriot street file.

Gnomie

Are there pics of Kings Gardens on the web or in any books?

On my site Tony on the 'Other tenements' page.

Gnomie

Cheers Ged

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I've never seen any in the records office but there are some better known ones not in there too so that's no guide. I've a pic of the Heriot pub on my site and the only flats near them are the 1950s style 3 storey units - not the 1920s or 30s type. I'm off to the records office next weekend so i'll see if there's a Heriot street file.

Ged, Smith Street had a double landing of what some people call Scotch houses. It had a big stable block behind it. It was on the same block as the Goats Head pub at the bottom of Kirkdale Road.

These could have been mistaken for old tenements.

Part of 4 blocks known locally in Kirkdale as 'The Buildings'. This is Fonthill House including a pic of the Wash-house chimney.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fonthill House.jpg 
Views:	868 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	6457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fonthill House 01.jpg 
Views:	1070 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	6458  

Default Heriot Place

Hi Ged the flats were I think three high could have been four... There was a verandah leading off the kitchen and the living room windows looked out onto a court yard which was surrounded by all the other flats. The verandah had a wall cos I remember I could never see over it. The entrance to the block was like a square arch way if you know what I mean, this also ran through to the court yard.I remember there was a row of shops that ran at the side of the block which I think was Boundary Street, just before the shops was the road that lead to the flats. I think the number was 35b Heriot Place. Hope this is of some help... it was such a long time ago and the memory isnt quite as good as I thought it was.

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast