Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardens, Tenements and Courts

Default gardens of stone

Alright everyone.Im new to all this.Does anybody have any photos or memories about Portland gardens
    we lived in the 3rd block up from Vauxhall road and I was born at home delivered by Janey Ashton who had a fruit and veg "barrer" on Eldon st, this was in the 50s, any info would be appreciated.

There you go Jimbo. ALso check out www.scottiepress.org for lots of interesting info and photos of your old area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portland Gardens Archway.jpg 
Views:	1504 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	1157  

Great them Gerard, keep these previously unseen ones coming. My brother lives in a block behind the green man that was converted into houses by blocking up the old doorway/entrance, like that 50s block on your 2nd pic, wondering if it was that very one?

Part of portland is still up of course as sheltered accommodation.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Great them Gerard, keep these previously unseen ones coming. My brother lives in a block behind the green man that was converted into houses by blocking up the old doorway/entrance, like that 50s block on your 2nd pic, wondering if it was that very one?

Part of portland is still up of course as sheltered accommodation.
    Yer know I never knew that Ged that they were done up and converted..

These posts about the tennies have been SO interesting. I never gave them a second thought before and now I'm learning a lot about them.
    What's this about hod carriers & architects ? .. relief sculptures on the walls I presume? I am fascinated now ... the statue down by Islington - I looked over at it the other day - is it to do with this ? I've never been close up to that statue.

There were some tenements in Boundary st that I recall. Was it Heriot st?

Thumbs up Burly and Portland gardens

Thanks Gerard those pictures were great ,thats the first time Ive seen Porty like that and Im a bit gobsmacked...tar lar

and just seen those ones from Ged, thanks

I would like to add my thanks to those posting the pics that appear in this thread. Thanks again and keep posting.
    Help find Madeleine

Thanks Gerard, I didn't know what that statue depicted.

I would like to add my thanks to those posting the pics that appear in this thread. Thanks again and keep posting.
    Help find Madeleine

god bless us I think that pic from Ged is our block!That rounded arch was used as the goal for our impromptu matches with the other blocks,these would be marathon affairs,the first team to score 20 being the winners.The memory box is flooding.....a thousand and one sights, Cant remember that high rise in the back,the street that runs parallel in the background (to the arch)was the back of Hornby st. They were slums,but were always kept spick and span.There was a 2 shops one called Dorises and Rooneys(not the Rooneys on Burlington st.) You could get most things at Dorises,but 4 walkers for a penny was the best deal! Sterry milk,horrible.small hovis the size of a fist,fantastic...

fantastic... thats the ale house my dad drank in ,Greenys,He was a docker like his dad before him,I was back home a few months ago and went to visit one of my relatives that still lives there in green st. and there was a tiny part of a wall from Portland gardens left up just opposite her house.Was this a piece of sophisticated memorabilia left on purpose during the demolition or an accident ? Any angles on that Gerard lad?

Well in Gerard. Glad you's all like the photos that appear here.

Jimbo, The tower blocks were Tatlock and Blemheim towers, near the Castle pub which is still there. Those 50s blocks, the 3 high ones Gerard, there's a row of them on blemheim street now, Betty and Angela's shop is at the top, well those are now converted to houses. Wonder why they're not carrying on the trend with Grosvenor st? - I would imagine it's cheaper when all the gas/water/electricity mains are already in but who knows?

Lindylou. The statues were made by Herbert Tyson Smith in his Bluecoat Chambers gallery and were commissioned by Lancelot Keay (later Sir) who was the corrporations chief architect. They were placed over the archways on Gerard Gardens, not the main big arch but the ones in Christian street and Hunter street. They are portland stone reliefs in sections. Gerard actually lived directly above the Hod Carrier, I, on the other side, directly above the Architect, though both at different times. The originals are in store, having been in the Museum of Liverpool life at Mann Island and will hopefully form part of the new X shaped museum when opened. The statue used as the memorial is a replica, the plinth being for the ex residents and the statue for all those who've lost their lives in the construction industry.

As teenagers, most were a bit blase about them I suppose as we'd walk under them countless times a week without giving them a second glance or wondering why they were there. Don't know if Gerard or Paul knew, but I certainly didn't.

Jimbo. Quite a portion of Portland Gardens is still up, as sheltered accommodation in Green Street. Some other parts were converted into the existing housing and you can see where they've bricked a window up here and there - different coloured brick slightly.

http://www.liverpoolmonuments.co.uk/

If you scroll down, you will see some of Tyson Smith's work, there's quite a bit of it throughout the city.

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast