Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardens, Tenements and Courts

One for you then Asbo. I seem to recollect as a young un' my ma taking me up to the Bully and a group was on, I think they were called 'New World' - possibly playing off the back of a flatbed lorry or perhaps the square itself.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post

One for you then Asbo. I seem to recollect as a young un' my ma taking me up to the Bully and a group was on, I think they were called 'New World' - possibly playing off the back of a flatbed lorry or perhaps the square itself.
    Jeeze thats a sad picture, but just looking at it I can 'hear' the Bullring, weird feeling but you probably know what I mean?

It looks 100% better now with the cleaned-up brickwork, upvc double glazing (in 1930s styled frames) and uniformly painted walls and doors. There's even coca cola machines at ground floor level. (What a difference a council not purposely running them into the ground makes) See lots more Bully pics here
    http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=32921340&cr=7

Hi ged do you have any pics of the old Addison Street or Midgehall street not the new developments but around the 1940's haved looked almost everywhere
    Thanks
    Lily

Hello Lily8. Have you tried the Liverpool records office, also a book called Holy Cross - my parish by Margaret Donnelly and the the Crypt at St. Anthony's, Scotland Road I think contain some of the old Holy Cross school in Addison st. (Originally sickmans lane due to the sheds containing the sick and the dead from the plague) There is also a pic on my site (Streets ahead page) showing Addison street as an 'oller' prior to the building of all the new property and I think Midgehall st and Marybone with the Hnnah May statue is shown on the pages of the Scottie press website which is www.scottiepress.org

Good luck.

Default Back Bittern St flats, considered tenements?

Howdi all, I have good memories of the Back Bittern St flats as my Nan used to live there. However, I cant recall if these were/are true tenements, can anybody shed any light?.

I have fond memories of Back Bittern St as this was my unofficial stomping ground every 3rd Saturday when visiting my Nan in the 70's. Whilst visiting on one particularly hot summers day, I remember being bored in my Nans (she was loosing her marbles telling us not to sit on the baby which was really a cushion) and going down to the front of the flats with my Wembley Trophy footy looking for playmates. I was soon approached by a small gang of young lads n lasses. 'who wer u la?' was the greeting. In a few confident words (well it could have turned ugly) I told them about my Nan and I was looking for a game of shooty. I can still remember being whisked off by the BBS street urchins to play footy in the playground of the local skool. What a great game, the lads played, the girls sat off...felt like we played forever. Once we finished I found myself being dared to go into the cathedral crypt........little did i know it was a refuse centre for the homeless..... I could only imagine stacks of bodies at the time but not wanting to look like a sissy to the townies I slowly crept in until I was greeted with tables of people tucking into soup.....the background laughter from the townies will never be forgotten (I was a Netherley boy but my Mum was a Brownlow Hill lass). I never got to know the lads n lasses much better as my Nan moved into a nursing home soon after....pity.....for an outsider I was made more than welcome....but I could play a decent game of footy so maybe thats why I was taken in..... I didnt appreciate the verbal battering I recvd from Mum when I finally returned to my Nans flat tho!!!!

I'm in work at the moment (its quiet hence the time to post) so when I next see my 6yr old dawter I'll recall that story and beef it up a bit, she'll love it.

I've just found out about the JMUs Back Bittern St Opera Project. Theres been a few events in '07 and I'm hoping to see if there are further events planned for CoC 08.

Cheers

Ian M

Hi Ged thanks for the info on Addison and Midgehall Streets I hope to visit the records office on a visit home this year. Was very sorry to hear that Holy Cross church has been demolished, I used to go there with my Great Aunt in the sixties and it used to be packed out on Sundays. It was a wonderful neighbourhood, I used to stay with Aunty often and loved being "in town". Spent countless hours at the museum, art gallery and Library all for free. Aunty had a tiny house in Midgehall street two up and two down with a small extension on the back for a scullery, small back yard complete with the huge mangle and tin bath hanging from the wall, outside loo at the bottom of the yard. All kept spotlessly clean and whitewashed every year. And yes she donkey stoned the step every day .
    My uncle was a police dog handler and he brought "his" dogs home so there was always a german shepherd around we were not supposed to pet the dogs but of course always did. Uncle often did the Parks patrols with his dog and some of the things he encountered well enough said!!!
    Anyway thanks Ged
    Lily

lily8. The records office on the 4th floor of the Central Library, William Brown st has a search room that you'll have to join with 2 forms of I.D. then you could spend hours, or in my case, weekends there - happy hunting.

Morgo444. Back Bittern Street, now called Cathedral Walk are 1950s styled units and can be found on my site, about halfway down this page.

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=37973943&cr=7

Hope the pics bring back some memories.

Blog Entries

Excellent views of these buildings, love em all
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Working class heroes.

I think this is a crackin' pic. Prince Edwin Lane where my nan lived. A decade later, this oller at the back is where we'd cut across, making our way to St Gregs secondary school which was built on the other side of these flats on Prince Edwin Street.

In the background, popping above the rooftops are the pre WW1 flats on Bevington Street and the industry such as Tate & Lyle that employed generations of families from that area.

Hi,
    Any pics of Pennistone Terrace or Newport Terrace? Pennistone was off Townsend st & Newport was off Newport st.
    Would love to see any pics or info.
    Browniescorner
    out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes.....

Default Found these photos late 70s

First photo ourblock looking over towards Myrtle gardens,Cardwell st,Smithdown lane,
    Second photo ourblock sidney house.
    Third photo looking towards Myrtle gardens, grove street far background.
    Fourth photo entwisle heigths/miller house,the old blue circle cement warehouse Falkner street
    Ffth photo sidney gardens taken from ourblock,sgb scoffold on the brew grinfield st,the stables in smithdown lane can be seen in background as the lybro on mount vernon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Views:	610 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	5440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic2.jpg 
Views:	695 
Size:	285.8 KB 
ID:	5441   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic3.jpg 
Views:	645 
Size:	298.5 KB 
ID:	5442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic4.jpg 
Views:	511 
Size:	261.5 KB 
ID:	5443   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic5.jpg 
Views:	551 
Size:	281.3 KB 
ID:	5444  

Great photos ourblock, always nice to see these dug out after decades. Well done.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by ourblock View Post
    First photo ourblock looking over towards Myrtle gardens,Cardwell st,Smithdown lane,
    Second photo ourblock sidney house.
    Third photo looking towards Myrtle gardens, grove street far background.
    Fourth photo entwisle heigths/miller house,the old blue circle cement warehouse Falkner street
    Ffth photo sidney gardens taken from ourblock,sgb scoffold on the brew grinfield st,the stables in smithdown lane can be seen in background as the lybro on mount vernon
    Great photos.
    Good to see the Cathedral from your home.

Default another one

In the square in sidney gardens looking towards cardwell street flats !!
    picture courtsey of Joey Mcelwee.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolicks.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	259.5 KB 
ID:	5454  

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast