Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: Gardens, Tenements and Courts

Interesting comparison,Ged!

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZappathing View Post
    I will second that.
    I will say it again coz I got nobby posting over me.....again!! Yawn. Someone get him a colouring book.

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Interesting comparison,Ged!
    Me too!

Ged, What's 'The Billogs?'

Sorry, they were Melrose, Owen, Stanley and Fonthill House known locally as the buildings or billogs. They stood on the corner of Stanley Road and Melrose Road and were the furthest Northerly tennies in Liverpool just before the Bootle boundary. One of the blocks had an ornate clock - similar to a large railway station clock on the wall, the only tenement to have such a feature. They were built in the 1920s on the site of Owens timber yard from which Owen road and then Owen house took its name. Owen road is still there with garden houses on it.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Brian-P was asking on another thread how some of the surviving tenements look now.

The Bullring - St Andrews Gardens.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wavertree Gardens - Now Abbeygate Apartments.

Nelson Street tenements in Chinatown.

Great Richmond Street - now St. Annes Apartments.

(they took away the ground floor yards here and even filled in a walk through archway to make it into another room for the corner flat).

There are more tennie conversions at Sussex Gardens - Upper Warwick Street, Portland Gdns green st L5, Adshead Rd in Clubmoor, Muirhead Avenue in Tuebrook, Blackhorse Lane in Old Swan etc....

Cheers Ged, thanks for the link, but being the pillock I am, I began at the start of this thread and eventually found some of these on page 56!

I'm made up I did though. What a brilliant thread. So much info. Do you know if it's possible to buy the DVD - Gardens Of Stone?

I take it the Wavertree Tenements are NOT student accommodation but the Bullring is.

Also, isn't the low perimeter wall of Vauxhall Gardens still there?

Well done to all who contributed. Superb.

I just hope the gaffer doesn't ask what I've been up to for the past 3 hours!!

Great Richmond Street tenements from the roof of Bishop Goss school.

Built in the 1920s and containing wrought iron landing railings, this small L shaped 3 high block was typical of the style of tenement housing built across the city during this period. Known locally as Ghost town, it was that quiet, with few kids as such living there, my brother moved there in the late 1970s, living in the ground floor flat which then had little yards which since being renovated into private apartments, have disappeared.

You will notice a window built into an archway at ground floor level. This was once an entrance into the square which has since become a room incorporated into one of the apartments.

Blog Entries

Dear members, My name is jay i am sorry to bother you but you seem to know a lot about old vauxhall and the surrounding areas etc. I am trying to gather information on anything related to hopwood street for my parents who are trying to action a right to buy on there current home. They moved from there in 1985 and lived in the old three storeys at the back of what local people used to call the rat pub or the jamaica. The info we need is prove of Hopwood street demolition, council deals on hopwood street, anything will be so helpful I have just joined the site and i am under nexus2, thanks for your time.

These are the flats your parents lived in Jay so the fact they're not there anymore is proof of demolition. For proof that your parents actually lived in them. If they were on the census, then these records are kept at the records office. Thanks for your pm, please see my reply with further details for you. Photo by Joe Devine.

Blog Entries

Hi Ged firstly a huge thanks for the pic and quick response, we have been trying to send you a pm but the site stated your inbox needed emptying. Ged i basically joined the site to try and reach you and two other members, hoping for some help. My parents are in a liverpool housing trust property now and have been here 27 years, they have a lot of rights in there favour but all the info we found just kept throwing up hopwood gardens. We have informed lht that we kept our preserved right to buy, we were transferred in mass, stock transferred and also we were part of a demolition programme, ged lhts response over the last 16 years as been prove it, and they have lost there files yes that old trick. We have now a good solicitor on the case they have asked for various bits of info which is the reason we contacted you. We have been in touch with liverpool city council but they told us that because its around 84-85 all info is held in the archives, off the archives we went 6 times ged all with limited success. In the meantime ged if anything pops up will you pm same goes for all helpful members
    Thanks

Ged strikes again
    Well done Ged
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Jay. I've pm'd you about the local neighbourhood VNC solictor David Taylor who may be able to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by hmtmaj View Post
    Ged strikes again
    Well done Ged
    Very Good St Geddrington

Blog Entries

Thanks again ged were going to wait till next week and then give our solicitor every bit of info we have. As for contacting the vnc solicitor i will do that you never know, just seems sad hopwood street info is limited. Ged we contacted the demolition company and there trying to help us aswell.

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast