His Master's Voice

The arcane painting is titled, "Dog looking at
    and listening to a Phonograph" -- so the artist called
    the picture he completed after brother and dog died

-- a terrier who lived at the time of Jack the Ripper,
    only this was Nipper not Ripper, who'd nip
    the backs of people's legs in Richmond Park and chase

rats and pheasants. But is Nipper listening
    or talking to his master in the after life?

The old 78 goes round and round and round.

Christopher T. George

Erik Østergaard's "The History of Nipper and His Master's Voice" states that

Nipper the dog was born in Bristol in Gloucester, England in 1884 and so named because of his tendency to nip the backs of visitors' legs. When his first master Mark Barraud died destitute in Bristol in 1887, Nipper was taken to Liverpool in Lancashire, England by Mark's younger brother Francis, a painter.

In Liverpool Nipper discovered the Phonograph, a cylinder recording and playing machine and Francis Barraud "often noticed how puzzled he was to make out where the voice came from". This scene must have been indelibly printed in Barraud's brain, for it was three years after Nipper died that he committed it to canvas.

Nipper died in September 1895, having returned from Liverpool to live with Mark Barraud's widow in Kingston-upon-Thames in Surrey, England. Though not a thoroughbred, Nipper had plenty of bull terrier in him; he never hesitated to take on another dog in a fight, loved chasing rats and had a fondness for the pheasants in Richmond Park!

In 1898 Barraud completed the painting and registered it on 11 February 1899 as "Dog looking at and listening to a Phonograph".
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I was told by the manager of "Forbidden Planet" (sci-fi shop in Bold street) that this painting was done in a studio above the shop...Sounds feasable to me after reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
    I was told by the manager of "Forbidden Planet" (sci-fi shop in Bold street) that this painting was done in a studio above the shop...Sounds feasable to me after reading this.
    Thanks for that interesting bit of information, Klaatu! Sounds possible to me too.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

How special I found this Chris... Nipper remembered..and now we all know the name of that fine dog.. That dog has been seen around the world I believe..... ta for that infor...

Thanks, naked lilac. I think the Liverpool connection is especially interesting since, as you say, Nipper was a symbol that went around the world.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Default 92 Bold Street

Hi All,

I am working with FACT on Wood Street researching Bold Street its past, present and future for a gallery show which will start at FACT, 88 Wood Street on 29 June. In the months I have been researching Bold Street I have come across this story and I do believe that Nipper was indeed painted listening to the phonograph at this address in Bold Street - for more information make sure you come to see the exhibition - alongside this there will be loads of interviews, photographs, audio and interesting facts about the street which will be available to access online and in the space. We will also have a facility for people to upload their own memories, stories or anything at all (providing it relates to Bold Street of course!)

I am still collecting information so if anyone has anything please do get in touch!

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Lyates View Post
    Hi All,

I am working with FACT on Wood Street researching Bold Street its past, present and future for a gallery show which will start at FACT, 88 Wood Street on 29 June. In the months I have been researching Bold Street I have come across this story and I do believe that Nipper was indeed painted listening to the phonograph at this address in Bold Street - for more information make sure you come to see the exhibition - alongside this there will be loads of interviews, photographs, audio and interesting facts about the street which will be available to access online and in the space. We will also have a facility for people to upload their own memories, stories or anything at all (providing it relates to Bold Street of course!)

I am still collecting information so if anyone has anything please do get in touch!

Laura
    Hi Laura

Good luck to you with your continued research and the upcoming exhibition. Unfortunately I am unlikely to be able to see it as I live in the U.S. and was just in Liverpool May 15-21 so I shan't be coming back for a while. I would though be interested in anything else specific you find out to confirm that the painting was done on Bold Street as you believe was the case.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist