Thread: Merseyside recollections

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Merseyside recollections

I thought I would post this thread for all you budding historians.

When I was fourteen or fifteen, I used to read quite a lot on local history, I was never out of the William Brown Library or the local libraries for that matter.
    I am sixty eight now and on reflection of the books I read and the information I filed away in my head, several things spring to mind which I have not heard about or seen commented on in this forum or any of the numerous books which are churned out these days.
    I will itemize these memories and recollections, in the hope that they may spark off some interest and discussion.

1 When the Seaforth docks were being laid out the remains of a Roman road was discovered coming from the
    direction of the Wirrel.

2 When the Birkenhead docks were being dug out the body of a Neolithic man was found.

3 The coastline of West Lancashire extended about seven miles further out into the Irish Sea, and that a section of
    land from as far up as Morecambe and down to Anglesey, sank under the sea. As a result of this the Conway
    River was formed. That there are the ruins of a structure about three miles out in the Conway estuary and at low
    tides can be seen under the water.

4 The petrified forest which is often mentioned at Hoylake at very low tides actually extended across to Formby,
    that the mouth of the Mersey as it is now did not exsist.

5 That there are two lost villages under the sands of Formby, one of which was a thriving fishing village.

6 A channel from the Irish Sea actually ran down the length of what is now Lord Street and the seaward side of
    Lord St and the area down to the beach was a huge sandbank.

7 In a field behind the Bootle Arms pub in Melling can be found the remains of Roman settlement.

8 That Meols in Hoylake where King William of Orange sailed to Ireland was used as a port as far back as the Romans.

All this information I have read in books in the past. Two books that spring to mind are a book called ‘Ancient Meols’ and a book called ‘The North West Coastline’.
    Last edited by Samp; 01-19-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Wrong title given.