Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost Liverpool Suburbs & Districts

Everton has some great history attached to it. Eastbourne st, Westbourne st and all those leading up to Brunswick Road were cleared then the infamous Radcliffe estate appeared in the mid 70s - only to be cleared itself a decade later.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Try Norris Green. I used to hang around loads of the streets that have now gone. A lot has gone, the school I went to, Broadway baths, Sayers to name a few. It has changed a lot. Some of it looks very strange now.

Fred Sayer, the great man who started his business in Old Swan...
    his ashes were apparently scattered on the Lorenzo drive factory site, by reception, in a flower bed.
    It's all flattened now, how sad.
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZappathing View Post
    Try Norris Green. I used to hang around loads of the streets that have now gone. A lot has gone, the school I went to, Broadway baths, Sayers to name a few. It has changed a lot. Some of it looks very strange now.
    The trouble with looking for the history of Norris Green Zaps, and i've tried, is because before the late 1920s, it was mainly fields so is relatively new. The 1800s pics in the LRO search room will not include Nogsy but the likes of Everton and Toxteth are catered for in abundance.

Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    I remember alot about Everton , i was born there , i remember it being cosy , little shops and pubs everywhere , Beacon lane had shops and the Beacon light pub on the corner ... And then there were the streets , all lined up , Leadenhall street is where my lifelong friend lived before they were shipped out to Pinehurst Avenue , York Terrece made way for flats , and Our Lady's school was re-built , the social club doubled as a church .. All gone now , everything ..It was clearing a house of beautiful old furniture , and filling it with crap from Ikea .

The Beacon Light, I remember it well! I had a pal who lived in Petton St, we used to drink in the Beacon Light, played darts there on Fridays. One Friday evening about 7.30 we put our name down for a game of doubles on the dart board, once we got on the board we remained unbeaten for the whole evening. The entire dart team tried to shift use but we beat everyone who tried to knock us off the board. We were asked to join the darts team but refused, as it might have cramped our drinking style.

Partsky

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    Never heard of Nova Scotia WW. Where was that?
    Waterways, I share Pablo`s curiosity on this one. Where was Nova Scotia? Thanks for this interesting information.

Nova Scotia was an area around Mann Island and was on the time team Liverpool special in our capital of culture year where they showed old foundations and the original walls of the old dock.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Samp View Post
    The Beacon Light, I remember it well! I had a pal who lived in Petton St, we used to drink in the Beacon Light, played darts there on Fridays. One Friday evening about 7.30 we put our name down for a game of doubles on the dart board, once we got on the board we remained unbeaten for the whole evening. The entire dart team tried to shift use but we beat everyone who tried to knock us off the board. We were asked to join the darts team but refused, as it might have cramped our drinking style.
    I lived in Petton Street too but when I lived there it was surrounded by a bland council estate
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Quote Originally Posted by robbo176 View Post
    I lived in Petton Street too but when I lived there it was surrounded by a bland council estate

I'm going back to the late fifties early sixties. A block of flats next to the library with a row of older houses and a woodyard opposite. Also some very old sandstone houses on the Beacon Lane end.

Some old pictures and postcards of early Everton. One picture showing Prince Ruperts Cottage .

The first picture shows Prince Ruperts Cottage, the view is looking up village street with your back towards the lockup.
    The second picture shows the lockup area as viewed from the bottom of Everton Brow.
    The third picture is the Everton hilside viewed from what is now the beginning of Great Homer St.
    Fourth picture is a view of the old beacon, which was situated approximately on the corner of St Georges churchyard and Northumberland Terrace.
    Fifth view is Everton hillside looking from the Kirkdale rd end of Great Homer St.
    The last two are two views of the lockup and brow with the toffee shop. these two pictures are from two old postcards which I purchased some years ago.

More to follow when I can dig them out, (if you would like to see them!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rupetscottage2.JPG 
Views:	461 
Size:	484.6 KB 
ID:	12565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	evertonjug.JPG 
Views:	443 
Size:	260.0 KB 
ID:	12566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Everton10.jpg 
Views:	776 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	12567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	everton-beacon1.JPG 
Views:	473 
Size:	984.5 KB 
ID:	12568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	everton3.JPG 
Views:	474 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	12569  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	evertonbrow2.JPG 
Views:	474 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	12570   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	evertonbrow1.JPG 
Views:	507 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	12571  
    Last edited by Samp; 01-20-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added information.

Surely would Samp!!!

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Some old pictures and postcards of early Everton. One picture showing Prince Ruperts Cottage .

The first picture shows Prince Ruperts Cottage, the view is looking up village street with your back towards the lockup.
    The second picture shows the lockup area as viewed from the bottom of Everton Brow.
    The third picture is the Everton hilside viewed from what is now the beginning of Great Homer St.
    Fourth picture is a view of the old beacon, which was situated approximately on the corner of St Georges churchyard and Northumberland Terrace.
    Fifth view is Everton hillside looking from the Kirkdale rd end of Great Homer St.
    The last two are two views of the lockup and brow with the toffee shop. these two pictures are from two old postcards which I purchased some years ago.

More to follow when I can dig them out, (if you would like to see them!)
    Nice one mate.

I'm going back to the late fifties early sixties. A block of flats next to the library with a row of older houses and a woodyard opposite. Also some very old sandstone houses on the Beacon Lane end.
    Hi Samp, you wouldn't happen to have any pic's of those old houses,in Beacon lane? I know someone who's grandad lived in one of them,and he'd be made up to see any!

Blog Entries

When they demolished all the 1960 flats around the lockup, they should have reinstated the village. Many developers would have willing built it. It would have acted as a catalyst for regeneration in the north end. Brought it up market. It is not too late.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

"The town planner's coming so terraces run for your life"
    I wouldn't give Satan a snowball's chance in hell against a woman's ego, man. He'd rule the Earth for a day. A week later we'd see Satan out cuttin' the lawn.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123