Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: William Huskisson

Speaking as a childhood resident of Huskisson Street, the whole thing always struck me as a farce. Not only was he the first railway fatality (at what speed of train?) but, when designing the memorial, they don't seem to have told the designer that there would be a statue. I remember as a kid having to stand on someone's shoulders to see in through the small windows around the top. The statue was probably moved because otherwise no-one would have seen it.

This is the Liverpool Mercury's opening lines on Huskissons funeral. What amazes me is that back in 1830 at 3pm in the afternoon a local paper was able to run a story of something that had happened that day and got the issue out. If only we had the same type of service now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huskisson funeral.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	23561

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    This is the Liverpool Mercury's opening lines on Huskissons funeral. What amazes me is that back in 1830 at 3pm in the afternoon a local paper was able to run a story of something that had happened that day and got the issue out. If only we had the same type of service now.
    You might have that same service if you were to pay the equivalent amount of money for a newspaper....

The 7 penny newspaper of 1830 cost the equivalent of 2.50 pounds now....

I bet only the rich could afford newspapers back then.

http://safalra.com/other/historical-...ce-conversion/

Was he the first person killed by a steam locomotive? Or merely the first rich and influential person killed by a steam locomotive?

Anyway, he was a remarkable MP and widely considered to be one of the 'good guys'.

The English Sunday Times is over 2GBP and with air freight arrives here at $31.50 but the good news is there is now a print on demand service for international newspapers and they are $14.50 no colour supplements but no rubbish inserts either.. Yes I know you can read some of the news online but the real paper has far more info in it and you can pass it on after you have read it . I swop mine with a customer for her Spectator and Guardian.
    Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    You might have that same service if you were to pay the equivalent amount of money for a newspaper....

The 7 penny newspaper of 1830 cost the equivalent of 2.50 pounds now....

I bet only the rich could afford newspapers back then.

http://safalra.com/other/historical-...ce-conversion/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12