Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool's Seven Hills?

Default The Official Seven Hills, from Ken Pye

I think we have now found the answer, or at least as definitive as we are likely to get., i.e. from KEN PYE in what must be the best ever history of Liverpool, his £20 book, "Discover Liverpool" (If you haven't got it yet, GET IT! worth every penny , and more)

on page 124, he says; "Liverpool is built on seven major hills, and these are;
    Walton Hill
    Everton Ridge
    High Park/Toxteth Ridge
    Mossley Hill,
    Allerton Hill
    Olive Mount
    Woolton Ridge.

So now you know.
    As soon as you start checking these out you start to realise that most of the roads with Hill in the name are just sloping streets, and you have to keep going until you stop going UP.
    Try Brownlow Hill and Mount Pleasant, clearly NOT two separate Hills, and even when they have joined by the University Clock Tower, the road towards Edge Lane goes rising past PAddington and Mount Vernon where it meets LOW Hill, and you still have to ask, is that the summit? From Edge Hill CHurch the roads mostly go down, but along Towerlands, etc south, things stay fairly level rather than going down, and do they in fact go down at all, making this area - including the "missing" Edge Hill - part of the rising land that tops out at Olive Mount.

Certainly contour maps are needed for the true answer, but Landranger Sheet 108 has got so much built-up area that there is hardly a contour line to be seen.

Anyway, there you have it; the Seven Hills of Liverpool. Sorted.

TonyS

Hi,

This is taken from Underground Liverpool, by Jim Moore.

Last edited by TonyS; 02-22-2008 at 11:01 AM.

Blog Entries

Excellent info cheers
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

usually between hills you get rivers, bar for the mersey and the river alt in huyton, i can't think of any others

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Jones View Post
    I think we have now found the answer, or at least as definitive as we are likely to get., i.e. from KEN PYE in what must be the best ever history of Liverpool, his £20 book, "Discover Liverpool" (If you haven't got it yet, GET IT! worth every penny , and more)

Walton Hill
    Everton Ridge
    High Park/Toxteth Ridge
    Mossley Hill,
    Allerton Hill
    Olive Mount
    Woolton Ridge.

So now you know.
    As soon as you start checking these out you start to realise that most of the roads with Hill in the name are just sloping streets, and you have to keep going until you stop going UP.
    Try Brownlow Hill and Mount Pleasant, clearly NOT two separate Hills, and even when they have joined by the University Clock Tower, the road towards Edge Lane goes rising past PAddington and Mount Vernon where it meets LOW Hill, and you still have to ask, is that the summit? From Edge Hill CHurch the roads mostly go down, but along Towerlands, etc south, things stay fairly level rather than going down, and do they in fact go down at all, making this area - including the "missing" Edge Hill - part of the rising land that tops out at Olive Mount.

Certainly contour maps are needed for the true answer, but Landranger Sheet 108 has got so much built-up area that there is hardly a contour line to be seen.

You forgot Rupert hill.

Err and Copperas hill

I think the question is related to names with hills in?

If so its

Copperas Hill

Brownlow Hill

Rupert Hill

Low Hill

Edge Hill

Sleepers Hill

Mossley Hill
    Last edited by H_Asbo; 02-11-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Default Seven Hills -- summits, not roads.

Thank you so much, Tony S, (and Jim Moore)for that line drawing of the hills. That makes it all so muich clearer and has saved me some hours of work. Just add Walton (on the) Hill at the top and we are just about there.

I am currently scanning OS map 108 to see what I can make out in terms of contour lines, and I'll report back. Here are two which look promising, with a clear complete contour circling a summit. They fit in nicely with High Park on Jim Moore's picture, and the hill he does not name to the west of Woolton Ridge, which Ken Pye names as Allerton Hill, centred as it is on Allerton Golf course.

Jim's picture also gives us a good start to the waterways in the valleys for Shoney. Tue brook , Ditton Brook and of course the river that flowed down what became Church Street Lord Sreet to the Pool. The "River Jordan" as Ken Pye says the watercourse through Sefton Park lake is called , would be one of the streams running into the Mersey.

Sorry , H Asbo, but we ARE talking about actual summits, rather than roads which lead upwards ( or down). You're right that there are a lot more than seven "hill" named streets.

My two map sections should enlarge, and mayeb you could save as or something. I don't know how to put large images in the message.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lpool OS108 High Pk summit.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	5212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lpool OS108 6  Allerton.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	5213  

Blog Entries

£13 on Amazon.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Ex-pat Sunshine coast Queensland Australia

Walton Hill
    Everton Ridge
    High Park/Toxteth Ridge
    Mossley Hill,
    Allerton Hill
    Olive Mount
    Woolton Ridge.

So now you know.

Thanks Gerry found this information very interesting.

Default The rivers and streams of Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by shoney View Post
    usually between hills you get rivers, bar for the mersey and the river alt in huyton, i can't think of any others
    Shoney is quite right; there must be rivers, there are only two named Rivers, but there are (or were) quite a few watercourses of one sort or another.
    Luckily for Shoney - and the rest of us - there have been quite a few really good books come out recently, one of which is "Underground Liverpool". Drop a birthday hint for this one; it explains all about the tunnels, and the wells, and the sewers and watercourses of Liverpool. What about Sugar Brook, Fluker's Brook, Ditton Brook,... and the River Jordan?
    In fact at present you can see the river Jordan; it is the watercourse which links the waters in Sefton Park before going underground to Otterspool. With the lower Lake drained, you can see a narrow meandering shallow stream wandering across the middle of the mud - this has just got to be the Jordan.
    For everything else, Buy The Book! ("You deserve it")
    Gerry

Tuebrook is another buried watercourse, and Mount Pleasant was, apparently,artificial, to some degree,at least! This was another job creational exercise by Joseph Williamson,so it wasn't just tunnels,etc, he built!(but dont ask me to explain what was there before)

Default More streams

Shoney is quite right; there must be rivers, there are only two named Rivers, but there are (or were) quite a few watercourses of one sort or another.
    Luckily for Shoney - and the rest of us - there have been quite a few really good books come out recently, one of which is "Underground Liverpool". Drop a birthday hint for this one; it explains all about the tunnels, and the wells, and the sewers and watercourses of Liverpool. What about Sugar Brook, Fluker's Brook, Ditton Brook,... and the River Jordan?
    In fact at present you can see the river Jordan; it is the watercourse which links the waters in Sefton Park before going underground to Otterspool. With the lower Lake drained, you can see a narrow meandering shallow stream wandering across the middle of the mud - this has just got to be the Jordan.
    For everything else, Buy The Book! ("You deserve it")
    Gerry

You can see the River Jordan in Otterspool Park as it comes out from the culvert under Aigburth Rd from Sefton Park. There are a few other culverted streams in the area. The one from Princes Park which formed what was once called Dickenson's Dingle and crosses Aigburth Rd at the bottom of the big dip ( ie valley) near Parkfield Rd. Similarly in Garston, the stream that was dammed to form the lake in Calderstones park is now culverted all the way to Garston Docks where it discharges.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Similarly in Garston, the stream that was dammed to form the lake in Calderstones park is now culverted all the way to Garston Docks where it discharges.
    Fascinating Taffy, cheers once again. Do u have a pic of that area in Garston?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

The stream that fed the original Liver-pool is still there under Williamson Square, where it fed into the pool. I am not sure where it enters the river.

If only they locked in the pool, like they did with Wallasey Pool, instead of creating the Old Dock. Then boats would be right up to Williamson Square. That would make a very attractive city indeed.
    Last edited by Waterways; 04-09-2009 at 10:56 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Right WW,
    that ran from Moss lake,which was somewhere around Islington,down William Brown st,along Williamson sqr,Whitechapel,through to Paradise st, then into the "pool". The remains of a footbridge over this, were dug up during construction of the Macdonalds building(formerly Horne Bros,etc),which is at the junction of Lord st.
    Last edited by wsteve55; 04-10-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Default Garston Streams

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Fascinating Taffy, cheers once again. Do u have a pic of that area in Garston?
    The only photo I recall showing one of the streams was in the small valley alongside Speke Rd where the incinerator plant later tram/ bus depot was sited. I'll see if I can find it.

In Garston you can tell where the streams were by the local topography. The slopes of Speke Rd, St Mary's Rd and Church Rd all meet at the bottom of the valley formed by the stream. This was one reason why the Mona castle pub had to be demolished. Part of the foundations were built on rock and the other on the river bed. Hence the building subsided. The same has happened to a less extent to the old Queen's pub, now the Stables.

If you type Garston into the search box in

http://www.old-maps.co.uk

and select the Lancashire Garston and look at the 1849 map, you can see the route of the streams coming into Garston. You'll recall photographing the old Garston Mill site opposite St Michael's Church. The water mill of course was sited next to the stream which then made its way along the route of Dale St ( ie valley street) to the river Mersey.
    Last edited by taffy; 04-10-2009 at 07:56 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast