Who was the best UK PM, and why?
Let's take a less negative approach for once!
er.......struggling with that one!
Tony Blair by a mile, followed by Atlee.
He took the country from a basket case into one of the world's strongest economies in a short time. The pound was the world strongest currency for about 10 years. Constitutionally he got rid of hereditary Lords. The hard of thinking have no idea of what this means. Also the zero unemployment with over a million migrant workers to fuel the booming economy.
Under Blair Since 1997:
- The UK economy has been the world's most robust.
- The pound has been almighty strong.
- 9/11 caused a recession in most of the western world. It never happened here.
- The UK had the longest sustained economic growth in history.
- Provincial cities have boomed with their skylines changing beyond belief - look at the skyscrapers in Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham.
- Some superb anti-social laws have been implemented (a pity some police and courts do not use them enough).
- The country even absorbed over 1 million eastern European and still not have an unemployment problem.
- Self-interest hereditary peers abolished and a democratic house is being installed - the biggest constitutional change since Oliver Cromwell
- NHS improved dramatically - more hospitals were built under Blair than anyone else.
- NHS waiting lists now are very short.
- Free Nursery care for children
- More graduates than ever.
Maybe - but he put Brown in charge of the economy, during whose watch many of the current problems started to germinate. He also took us into a war to deal with non-existent weapons of mass destruction.
Originally Posted by Waterways
George Bush was a complete numpty - yet Blair was his puppet. What does that say about Blair?
No doubt you'll now attempt to bury me under a mountain of 'facts', but I ain't interested in joining the merry-go-round that threads become once you are involved.
I'm fat and have been known to wave a flag (an Everton one, with no political affiliations), so obviously my views hold no weight!