Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3 tunnels under The Baltic Fleet Pub...

scouserdave

If nobody in Liverpool has the time to pop into The Baltic Fleet before Monday and say "Hi, I believe you have some tunnels and can I please photie them", I'll do it next week

theninesisters

They should have my official looking letter asking for permission and explaining of my interest in Tunnels in Liverpool already. if I get permission then I'll ask if a few of us can go down!

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
    They should have my official looking letter asking for permission and explaining of my interest in Tunnels in Liverpool already. if I get permission then I'll ask if a few of us can go down!
    oohhh me first!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    That could be another debate altogether. Its a few years since I've read it but i'm sure in "Liverpool Capital of the Slave Trade" by Gail Cameron and Steven Crooke there's pictures of adverts of slave sales in the city.
    i know slaves settled in liverpool 8. I knew the Coal family, decendents of slaves. they lived in Selbourne Street. Thanks George Roberts.
    Also, at the rear of Huskisson Street, where I lived number 54, during the 60ts. There were 9ft by 6ft little spaces above the rear stable, (now demolished) Who lived in that little hovel with a tiny fireplace. Certainly not the horse and certainly no ordinary Liverpool workers. (Slaves whatever colour). George Roberts.
    Last edited by george roberts; 01-27-2007 at 12:10 PM.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by george roberts View Post
    i know slaves settled in liverpool 8. I knew the Coal family, decendents of slaves. they lived in Selbourne Street. Thanks George Roberts.
    Also, at the rear of Huskisson Street, where I lived number 54, during the 60ts. There were 9ft by 6ft little spaces above the rear stable, (now demolished) Who lived in that little hovel with a tiny fireplace. Certainly not the horse and certainly no ordinary Liverpool workers. (Slaves whatever colour). George Roberts.

They'd be freed slaves if they were allowed to settle anywhere, or descendants of slaves.

The grooms and stable lads would sleep over the stables.
    Servants' sleeping quarters in Victorian times were very basic.

did anybody go to the tunnels? im doing a doc on it for uni and im going to ring them tmrw o see if i can go down there and get a little history or something from them, anybody know how helpful theyt were? thanks

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by docefc View Post
    did anybody go to the tunnels? im doing a doc on it for uni and im going to ring them tmrw o see if i can go down there and get a little history or something from them, anybody know how helpful theyt were? thanks
    Sent them a nice letter - got ziltch reply.

I must have had your job before you. I worked at Coco's between 1958 and 1964. John Gidman was the boss and Les Revell the chief salesman. They were a good crowd. The address was 20/22 Mathew Street and the existing Cavern was our banana ripening rooms. The original Cavern was across the road. We used (not me!) to catch big hairy tropical spiders out of the bananas and sell them to the School of Tropical Medicine, who I believes milked them for their poison.

Our watering holes were The Grapes which I think had the shortest bar in the world, and The White Star which had that delicious pork pie with an egg in the middle. I never ever found out how the egg got in there.

I once saw a steam lorry steam down Mathew Street much to our astonishment. It had a two man crew, a driver and a stoker.

We also used to be amazed at the office girls queueing up in their lunch hour to get into the Cavern, to see groups like The Beatles and all the others, never dreaming that fame would come their way to the extent it did. I was more into the jazz which eventually was pushed aside. I saw all the trad groups at the Cavern and some of the American blues guys that Chris Bbarber brought over like Speckled Red and Sonny Boy Williamson. Happy days. What happened to them?

Blog Entries

got my mates membership for cavern will post its john monohan ( mono) 1967,, i was 5 i used to gothe disco there very early 70s the original club,from scotty to town 2pence

Blog Entries

hidden tunnel in car repair unit ,in love lane,,,,plus hidden tunnel under .... in otterspool park ,leading to ......
    found this tunnel when i was about 8 in otterspool park and it lead to a old structure in the park ,we had to break out of the building and made r way home to scotty the entrance and the exit both r still there ,i would love to go back and speak to the people who own the exit structure ,as would be corpy property .plus ,they would no of the tunnels existence,but ive never heard of any mention of it,ive tried looking , spent many a miserable weekend in the tunnels under dale street ,aka cheapside..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Tunnels obvious in these attachments. Liverpool but I don't know where, I assume very near

to the River front:
    I'm sure that first one isn't St James Mount, i'm sure I've seen it labelled as Wavertree Quarry. The Mill on St James's mount was of a different type in all pictures i've seen of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jacky gunnion View Post
    got my mates membership for cavern will post its john monohan ( mono) 1967,, i was 5 i used to gothe disco there very early 70s the original club,from scotty to town 2pence
    My membership card disappeared into the ether.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by willow View Post
    . We used (not me!) to catch big hairy tropical spiders out of the bananas and sell them to the School of Tropical Medicine, who I believes milked them for their poison.

Our watering holes were The Grapes which I think had the shortest bar in the world, and The White Star which had that delicious pork pie with an egg in the middle. I never ever found out how the egg got in there.
    I wasn't that fussed on the Grapes as the bar was too short. Standing at a bar you meet people while sitting you do not. It was OK in groups of people who sat at a few tables. The Porklette animal laid the egg in the pork. The White Star was well, well, just a pub. I liked it more than the Grapes though.But the White Star was little cliquish while the Grapes neutral.

I once saw a steam lorry steam down Mathew Street much to our astonishment. It had a two man crew, a driver and a stoker.
    They went past us all the time from Wilson's Flour mill in Mill St. Slow and pulling very trailers.They had low en power which diesel trucks never had.

We also used to be amazed at the office girls queueing up in their lunch hour to get into the Cavern, to see groups like The Beatles and all the others, never dreaming that fame would come their way to the extent it did. I was more into the jazz which eventually was pushed aside. I saw all the trad groups at the Cavern and some of the American blues guys that Chris Bbarber brought over like Speckled Red and Sonny Boy Williamson. Happy days. What happened to them?
    The original Cavern was where it is now. When demolished it was moved over the road and was pure crap. Then it moved back over when they rebuilt the original site. I liked that area as we got apples and oranges for nothing.

how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by willow View Post
    I must have had your job before you. I worked at Coco's between 1958 and 1964. John Gidman was the boss and Les Revell the chief salesman. They were a good crowd. The address was 20/22 Mathew Street and the existing Cavern was our banana ripening rooms. The original Cavern was across the road. We used (not me!) to catch big hairy tropical spiders out of the bananas and sell them to the School of Tropical Medicine, who I believes milked them for their poison.

The egg! They break all the eggs, seperate the white from the yolk, put the yolk in a long plastic tube and boil it until it's hard. They take the cooled yolk and put it into the centre of a larger plastic tube, then pour in the white around it. They boil this until the white becomes hard. That's how every single slice of pie has the same sized piece of egg runbning through it.

The White Star has a great pint of Draught Bass. I prefer The Globe myself, but the Canarvon Castle is a decent pub. Pity they ruined the front of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieW View Post
    The egg! They break all the eggs,
    No!!! The porklette laid the egg pies.

how it once was?