Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Slemen

Blog Entries

Do you have the inspectors name? If so, it would be quite simple to check if he was a real person. The police are usually one of the best public services in terms of keeping their records.

In fact, after a few moments googleing I've found Merseyside Police. I'm sure you're inspectors name would be mentioned in one of these journals.

Still, even if the inspector is a real person, it doesn't mean what happened to him was real. In my opinion Tom does sometimes take 'real' people and place them in his stories - at least when he can be bothered to undertake his "extensive research".

My mother has a few of teh Tom Slemen boooks and I have read one or two of his bits in the local press.

I wonder just how much is true?

In the early 90s there was a series of books about haunted airfileds by another author - the first two or three sounded plausible - but by the time volume 6 or so came along - well it all started reading a bit "woolly" if you see what I mean! Basically a successful formula was being exploited.

John

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irishseashipping.com View Post

I wonder just how much is true?

In the early 90s there was a series of books about haunted airfileds by another author - the first two or three sounded plausible - but by the time volume 6 or so came along - well it all started reading a bit "woolly" if you see what I mean! Basically a successful formula was being exploited.

John
    I think you've hit the nail on the head there. His earlier stories were re-tellings of Richard Whittington-Egan tales and even some that were original and possibly plausible involving common paranormal phenomenon (cloud cities, lost villages etc...).

I am an open critic of Tom Slemen, and have actually been banned from his website forum for posting material that contradicts his stories. I was not rude or provocative on his forum, I simply posted some of my research). Even though I re-posted the material on Mackenzie I had first gathered here on YoLiverpool, Tom still won't accept it. Whether or not Mackenzie is buried upright pales into insignificane when Tom still believes that he was buried with his Wife and his Mistress... it was in fact his first and second wife as is recorded for all to see both on the pyramid itself and the transcription in the Liverpool Record Office (ref: H 929.5 GIB if you wanna check).

It is Toms complete lack of intellectual curiosity into other peoples points of view if they come anywhere near to criticising him that gets up my nose. It is because of his popularist, narrow-minded and self-indulgent style that he is considered by most of the 'paranormal community' to be little more than a novelty writer. Even the Jack the Ripper community (although much politer than I am) seem to be weary of him and his soon-to-be-published-but-never-actually-seen meisterwerk.

It is well known that there are other vocal critics of Tom whom he attacks as bitter and jealous unsucessful writers who are envious of his fame.

I am neither writer nor am I unsucessful, I just enjoy the persuance of historical facts over popular folklore.

Folklore has it's place of course, and I am a great lover of folktales... but when they are recognised as folktales. When the folktale starts to overtake the historical fact (as in the case of William Mackenzie) I do get annoyed.

Sorry about this rant, I know it's petty and won't make one iotas worth of difference but I was looking at a Liverpool Council Published guide and noticed the Slemen William Mckenzie story was given verbitam, without the littlest nod that he was responsible for some of the most important railway construction projects in the world... and made his home in our fair city.

I don't think those that followed the Julia Wallace case closely are in agreement with him either about his 'findings' regarding a death bed confession that it was the next door neighbour that did it.

The 'local detective' to Scotland Road (so I would hazard a guess at Rose Hill or Athol St Bridewells, though he mentions neither) is given the name 'Rockerby' by him but he's already covered his tracks by stating he's changed his name, but why, there is nothing worth hiding in the story, apart from its plausibility. Vinnie Monash was the name given to the 'habitual thief' who lived at Richmond Row though of course, this can't be proven either which is very convenient.

The story takes on a view similar to the Stan Ridgeway song camouflage all about a Marine who saves a life in combat but couldn't have as he was found to have been dead days ago, only in the TS story, the silouetted man was Monash but he had died days ago and was laid out in his coffin at home when the detective knocked.

Now the story is largely based on the detectives intuition which TS said many develop over the years against certain crims, knowing their every move and even next move, it was this that led him to stake out a shop being burgled where (if the story was true, was just a case of mistaken identity in the smog that the story makes great mention about). The trouble is, this detective didn't seem to know that the well known local crim, that he seemed to know everything about, was in fact dead. So much for his detectives intuition then.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default John Magin Kennedy

I knew John way back in the day, went to school with him right through from jnr's until we left school altogether. Never knew his middle name was Magin (not suprised he kept that a secret a good beating would have been in order with that name) unlike some other's John does believe in the supernatural and has done since our school days, i remember him telling us about astral projection and how we laughed and wished there was a bog near to shove his head in. (bit of a school tradition) Seriously though he's a decent bloke once you put aside the mumbo jumbo, i notice a comment that implied he was a bit of a conman and if no cash was involved he wouldn't be seen for dust.
    I always remember him as being a generous lad and willing to help people but i suppose we can all change over time and if that's true then it's sad to hear.

p.s anyone got any info on the strange ghostly apparition of a monk in roby church, i remember being told about it as a teenager but have no idea of the tale behind it. NO Slemmen you can't use it.

I knew Tom years back when he had his flat in Wavertree. He had just published his first book and was doing stuff on the radio with Billy Butler in the old Stanley Street building. ( must have been radio city ).

I did not care about his books as I knew him as a lad you could have a laugh and joke with and good old pint. He talked about his stories but also about football, TV etc.

Sadly over the years he seems to have withdrawn from people that he knew, its his choice of course and he can live his life as he feels. My last contact with him was a couple of years ago when I had to tell him to credit a friend of mine for her story that he claimed was his. Since then i have not seen or heared from him.

Its sad because I remember him as that Laughing and joking younger lad, and he was a funny guy at times.
    Last edited by Spike; 02-08-2009 at 10:06 AM.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Blog Entries

From what i've heard Tom is a lovely guy to meet and talk to.

It still doesn't mean his books aren't a pile of utter tripe and his methods of 'research' highly dubious.

He may well have even withdrawn from people who knew him because he's created this second persona who is all knowledgable of the supernatural all of a sudden. I expect he may well be a nice person, I saw him at the Big history festival in the St Georges Hall and my friend remarked that the biggest mystery was why he hadn't sued his barber.

Default how would i contact tom slemen?

anyone know how.. ?

Have you googled him, I think he has a website.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

I do know Mrs Zappa is in touch with him . Not in the spirit world either.

I think he has been found out and we should perhaps just accept the books for what they are. Most of them are for sale cheap on market stalls anyway. Nuff said!

Blog Entries

Default Was Tom the inspiration for this?

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    . That is a really funny show, shame they didn't make a second series

Quote Originally Posted by the joker View Post
    I knew John way back in the day, went to school with him right through from jnr's until we left school altogether. Never knew his middle name was Magin (not suprised he kept that a secret a good beating would have been in order with that name) unlike some other's John does believe in the supernatural and has done since our school days, i remember him telling us about astral projection and how we laughed and wished there was a bog near to shove his head in. (bit of a school tradition) Seriously though he's a decent bloke once you put aside the mumbo jumbo, i notice a comment that implied he was a bit of a conman and if no cash was involved he wouldn't be seen for dust.
    I always remember him as being a generous lad and willing to help people but i suppose we can all change over time and if that's true then it's sad to hear.

p.s anyone got any info on the strange ghostly apparition of a monk in roby church, i remember being told about it as a teenager but have no idea of the tale behind it. NO Slemmen you can't use it.
    I know John Kennedy well, he is a very generous and private guy who gives without taking in life.
    I met him some 8 years ago when he came to "clear" my Home.He asked for nothing and was only too happy to put him self out on his only day off work to come over to chat.
    John is a very kind guy and has stayed in touch with us.
    I would just like to say Please dont knock the guy, he does NOT get Monetry gain out of his work.....He puts himself out for others and is a very Positive and helpful man...Pity there are not more out there like him!!
    Thank you.

Annette.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast