Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: London Road Area

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Does anybody remember Peacock, a men's boutique at the corner of Dale Street & Stanley Street?
    With big wooden shutters with a peacock painted on them.
    Can't say I remember that one Phil..Would that have been more of a Gents Outfitters like Watson & P**** Ard..That was a great Clothes shop but way out of my league price wise...

Gerard, you are the first one I've heard who has mentioned 'Buck's Place' Ha!
    I used to go there. I've asked a few people, and asked on this forum, but no one ever remembers it !

At last someone knows Buck's Place.

Dolcis. Como's oh, yeah I remember them.

Cosack hairspray for men - !! yeah! that was the thing then wasn't it!

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I used to go there. I've asked a few people, and asked on this forum, but no one ever remembers it !

Shhh about the Hairspray lindylou !!!
    Yeah Loved it in Bucks Place girl,one of my favourite places along with The Temple..The Why Not...The Crocodile opposite..Hated the Pen and Wig...Always used to end up in the Triton after The Beehive..D'yer remember Tony lindy !!..the Photographer who used to visit all the Pubs in the Town in them days.Think he charged about a pound for a boss little 6x4 Photo.

Yeah, I think I do. My memory is letting me down a bit lately ! Now you mention it, I do remember the guy taking photos.

I never went to the Pen & Wig or the Temple.

That men's shop by the Wimpy you mentioned ... was that Harry Fenton's ?
    (I might have got the name wrong).
    I remember going to a shop somewhere by there.

There was a men's boutique in Lewis's too - but I think they sold 'Troggy' gear.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post

lindylou..Ive put a photie of Bucks Place on the Clubs thread.

My brother enquired about a jacket in the window of Watson Pri ckard once, he thought it was quite decent for £45. He came out a bit red faced when the shop assistant told him that was for the tie.

scouserdave

What was the name of the clothes shop in the 70s that became a tool hire shop? I think it was on the right hand corner of Seymour St next to the Swan. Good quality gear and expensive too. Similar to Harold Ian's in Renshaw Street.

Gerard mate, noticed you mentioned Comos. Were they the plain leather shoes with a wide leather sole? I loved them shoes. Had two pairs from Saxones, St John's Market, black and oxblood.

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    What was the name of the clothes shop in the 70s that became a tool hire shop? I think it was on the right hand corner of Seymour St next to the Swan. Good quality gear and expensive too. Similar to Harold Ian's in Renshaw Street.

Gerard mate, noticed you mentioned Comos. Were they the plain leather shoes with a wide leather sole? I loved them shoes. Had two pairs from Saxones, St John's Market, black and oxblood.

HEY. I had Dr. Martens airware in the same colour. Trouble was it was time to come in by the time i'd fastened them up

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post

The shop was Jonathon Silver Dave,Gorra great Suit from there for £17 if I remember right..Might have been £27 Cant remember..

They were the Ones them Como's..Boss Shoes..Tried to get similar a lookin' pair for years and the Nearest I could find was a great Pair of Loake that I've still got..I'll put A piccie of one on Kev's footwear thingy !!..Recently got a boss pair of Trickers Brogues..Love me shoes mate !!..

Blog Entries

Exclamation

Had a walk around the London Road area again today (1st March 2007) and took some pictures....

Loads more here and worth a look...

Loads more here
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Excellent work, Kev. I left a comment on your Flickr site about the equestrian statue of George III opposite T. J. Hughes.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

^^Thanks Chris^^ It was really nice walking around today, never really spent time around London Rd until today. Surprised how attractive some of the developments are around the area. I walked into The Bull Ring too but felt I was trespassing as the place was full of cameras!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I bought my suit from Jonathan Silver for Christmas in 1979, it cost £60.00. I was only earning £25.00 a week, so was gutted to see it in the sale the following week for £35.00

It was a great shop, I used to pay more for clothes then than I do now.

Default London rd area/ 29 moss st

this is a long shot , but would anyone happen to have a photo of 29 moss st . circa 1960.
    many thanks ,

An old white building in Falkland Street is currently being demolished (between Islington and Devon Street). It must be one of the last old buildings left around there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast