Thread: Aintree Racecourse

Blog Entries
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I was going to do the tour of Aintree racecourse but they only run from May to the 18th October and I missed it by a week so maybe next year,I

believe the museum there is amazing.It's great to see those Grandstands rising and I believe they're building an International equestrian centre

there,great pictures Kev.

Why don't they do anything else but horse racing there?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Back in the 50's and 60's there used to

be car racing there , don't know if the track still exists.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Why don't they do anything else but horse racing there?

They do there's one of

the biggest 9 hole golf courses in the country there and it's one of only 4 places in Britain to hold the British Grand Prix.In the 80's Michael Jackson

played there and that concert at the time was in the Guiness book of records for the biggest crowd for a solo singer or something,I wish they'd still use it

for concerts.

Blog Entries

AINTREE Racecourse has reached an historic milestone in its two-year £35m redevelopment.

Building contractors Laing O’Rourke yesterday handed over two new grandstands, the Earl of Derby and Lord Sefton, and Eric Wright Construction handed over the completed International Equestrian Centre/Aintree Pavilion ahead of the Grand National weekend in April.

The project has been funded with assistance from the Northwest Regional Development Agency, the European Regional Development Fund, and the Horserace Betting Levy Board as well as Aintree’s own resources. continues....
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    They do there's one of

the biggest 9 hole golf courses in the country there and it's one of only 4 places in Britain to hold the British Grand Prix.In the 80's Michael Jackson

played there and that concert at the time was in the Guiness book of records for the biggest crowd for a solo singer or something,I wish they'd still use it

for concerts.
    I think it was (and still may be) the biggest attendance for a concert by a solo artist, certainly one where an entrance fee was charged.

I remember there was a hysterical over reaction in the national press to a few scallies/desperate fans trying to bunk in and cause a small crush, which took the gloss off what was a great achievement for Liverpool.

Gnomie

They have a Cycle track at Aintree and i think they hold a Cycle race there?

They don`t have a cycle track there, but until recently they held the Eddie Soens Memorial Handicap Race there on the motor racing circuit every year.
    I think it was 50 miles in distance. The Aintree 200 club used the circuit every
    Tuesday for practice and held motorclub races a few times a year. I don`t
    know if they are still in existence. There was also motorbike racing held there

www.liverbuild.co.uk chrismarsden's Avatar

Ther is Motorcycle Road racing there every 3rd Saturday of the month through the Summer.
    Its well worth going to see, but as I've said before if it isn't kicking a ball no one in this city is interested.

Jump Sunday was one of my favorite events and the Scouts Jamboree? weekend.

They have more jumps meetings there than they used to. They also have pop groups on there, Madness were on recently, there is a footy pitch in the middle, played there years ago, also the Pope was there in the 80,s. 9 hole golf course and motor cycling there as well. I worked for LOR on the new stands.

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    I remember there was a hysterical over reaction in the national press to a few scallies/desperate fans trying to bunk in and cause a small crush, which took the gloss off what was a great achievement for Liverpool.

Being a Kirkby lad, that was a regular thing to do every time the National was on...

We used to walk along the canal, and there was a narrow lane which had the railroad tracks on one side, and big wooden fencing into the course on the other. Basically kids used to walk the length of the path and find a weak spot, then everyone piled in.

I'm going back to the early 70's of course - I'm sure it's all changed now.