Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: King Street Garston 1930s to 1970s

Hiya Norm...correct me if I am wrong...Idle Hour was opposite Victoria School on the corner of Seddon Road and Garston Old rd...so...Was Victoria School previously known as Garston Technical School or was Garston Tech the bottom of Wellington St...
    Johnny...Gandolfos...remember it well..Helsbys /Rowlands well known names here in Garston...Would Ray Helsby the Train Driver be any relation of yours Johnny ??
    allan

"Your Right! Allan, it was situated on that junction where Garston Old Rd and Seddon Rd meet, probably me getting names mixed up!! I too remember the name Ray Helsby, I think he was about my age too! probably went to same schools! ie Banks Rd/ Heath Rd. I left schhol at age of 14, and that was back in 1946!!!! "The Dark Ages"!!!

Thank You Norm. I'm not sure if there is a connection as I don't ever remember Mum talking about an Optician. But, You never know. I know My Mum's Aunt & Uncle had a Paper shop just by 'The Bridge' The shop is actually still there, although it is now a hairdressers.

Hi Johnny! My father-in-law worked at Garston Docks, and got his daily packet of 'cigs' (Capstan full strength) at the newsagents/tobacconist shop just near the bridge! My wife thinks the name may have been 'Marsden,s' but it's so long ago, and the memories tend to fade a little!!! Still remember a lot of great days in Garston though! Cheers

Mc Ferrans ....was that the name of the cigi /paper shop Norm ??.....allan
    ADDED...took 3 photos of new Hospital today...when wife comes in I will get her to put them up for you

Hi there, I wasnt around Garston, quite that long ago ! Ha, but I have lived here all my life. I think the opticians was actually called Welsbys ! I might be wrong but I am sure my Dad used to go there. x

"You're Riight"! Kaztal! my memory is getting a bit faded!!!! Their motto was:- " See Wellsby, and see well!" funny how some things stick in the mind!

And. Thanks Allan, just seen you're post of 6 days ago, looking forward to seeing pictures!! Cheers for that!
    Last edited by Norm NZ; 04-01-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: spelling!!

Hi there Kaztal1967, Just found your post! Sorry, not to have replied earlier, I've been away for a while! Tell me more about your Margaret Carter. When was she born and who were her parents? My Margaret Carter Richardson was born and died in 1844. I have expanded my earlier post as I've done more research since then. How far back have you traced your Carters?
    Last edited by FlowerBD20; 02-12-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: forgot to put in some details

Apparently my Grandfather, Patrick Murray) supplied food (mainly banana's during the depression to Windfield Road) which he and other dockers obtained while unloading.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345