Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: King Street Garston 1930s to 1970s

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by merseymay View Post
    Whats happening to all the pubs on king street?
    Does anyone live

there at the moment?
    The Kings Vaults is still alive and kicking I think, somone does live there.

The project will deliver 307,

21st century homes, of which 120 will be for social rent and 187 for sale. It will replace the

current 500+ properties, which currently occupy the site, demolishing the empty Victorian terraces (already happened) and 1970’s Radburn homes and provide a

modern dynamic development that will offer excellent quality housing with a wide choice of tenure type for local residents.

Work has

also started on essential utility diversions and full-scale construction work is envisaged to complete some time in 2013
    Last edited by Kev; 10-15-2006 at 09:31 AM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Thanks Kev

Thats progress.

Its a

monumental sense of loss for us. Not that the area is recognisable from the pictures. Thats not king street even from the 90s let alone from 50 years ago.

Can imagine people will be glad to see the back of it, it looks atrocious. A warzone. Looks like it lost its scuffy soul years ago. Is Under the Bridge an

historical term now? Or will it be a trendy term for the future inhabitants, without recognition of the history the place is steeped in?

No point

in taking the kids back for a look-see now.

Thanks so much for showing us the pics and telling us about it.

Do you know how springwood estate

(the economic) is? Is it still standing?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by merseymay View Post
    Thanks Kev

Thats progress.

Its a monumental sense of loss for us. Not that the area is recognisable from the

pictures. Thats not king street even from the 90s let alone from 50 years ago. Can imagine people will be glad to see the back of it, it looks atrocious. A

warzone. Looks like it lost its scuffy soul years ago. Is Under the Bridge an historical term now? Or will it be a trendy term for the future inhabitants,

without recognition of the history the place is steeped in?

No point in taking the kids back for a look-see now.

Thanks so much for showing us the

pics and telling us about it.

Do you know how springwood estate (the economic) is? Is it still standing?
    On Heath Rd? Council?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

yea it goes from heath road stamfordham dve, colwell rd, burman rd, inwood road etc long lane.

Blog Entries

Yes its still there
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Thanks for that.

Default King Street Garston 1930s to 1970s

Hi,
    Just found this site a few hours ago. Seems like I recall the coal incident, it would be in 1947 or 1948. Do not know the reason why there was the coal shortage at the time. My grandmother lived in Vulcan Street and all the neighbours were getting desperate because their coal supply was getting low. In the middle of the night her next door neighbour almost scared her to death throwing coal into her outside coal-bin, we do know that he did get the coal from King Street. Lived most of my life in the tenements on Speke Road, right across from the Match-works. Moved from there to Highbank Drive right off Horrocks Ave when I was 20 years old. Worked at the Bobbin Works, we all used to sing at the top of our voices while we worked. Remember the "Cinder path" that I used to go to school (Banks Rd) and the short way to get to Window Lane which was a thriving place in those days. The "Baths" swimming pool was covered and great dances where held there every Saturday night. Remember all too well when Saundby Street was bombed, Banks Rd school was also bombed. Spending many hours in the air-raid shelters, listening to the bombs whistling by. The Village was the heart of Garston, remember sitting in Gandolfo's at the bottom of the village eating ice-cream. My Grandfather had an allottment down the shore, grew the best vegetables I have ever tasted. Remember all the memories of my childhood just like it was yesterday. Closest to my heart was the people of Garston, everybody helped everyone else. Even though I left over 50yrs ago I will always be a scouser.

joyce

Blog Entries

Thanks for the post, my nan worked in the bobbin works Mason/ Burgess, do they ring a bell?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Hello! to Ebby 1954! Welcome to this great site!! you just mentioned all the places where I also lived!!! Dont tell me you live in Richmond Virginia!!
    Last edited by Norm NZ; 01-19-2007 at 12:08 AM. Reason: 'spelling'!!

Hi Norm NZ

It has been 53 years since I left home (it will always be home to me.) Yes I do live in Richmond, Virginia. Maybe there is a chance that I know you.
    You lived in the "tennies" the same time I did, in those days everybody knew their neighbours. When I came home from school at lunchtime (12PM-1PM)
    used to run on errands for the neighbours, knew everybody who lived in our "square".
    Would love to know where you lived in the "tennies"
    Will Keep In Touch
    Joyce

Kev,
    Worked in the Bobbin works for about three years, 1947 through 1949. The name Burgess sounds very familiar. What department did your nan work in?
    Have been reading all the posts, they bring back memories of long ago that I have always treasured.
    Thanks for directing me to the forums
    Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by Ebby1954 View Post
    Hi Norm NZ

It has been 53 years since I left home (it will always be home to me.) Yes I do live in Richmond, Virginia. Maybe there is a chance that I know you.
    You lived in the "tennies" the same time I did, in those days everybody knew their neighbours. When I came home from school at lunchtime (12PM-1PM)
    used to run on errands for the neighbours, knew everybody who lived in our "square".
    Would love to know where you lived in the "tennies"
    Will Keep In Touch
    Joyce
    Hi Joyce, Have sent private message, I too lived in 'The First Square' No 14A 'Now you remember me!!! cheers, Norm.

Default King Street pubs

just readin your posts merseymay Ive not long found this site (think its great)
    an jlust wanted to know if you remember The Queen Vic pub on king street , it was next to the Kings Vaults but i never drank in the kings, but av got loads of memories of the Vic. I used to drink there with my dad in the 80s, it was a great pub, we used to go to the Woodcutters as well and the matchworks, as my dad used to work there. I wonder if you remember him his name was Jack Winckle, he lived on king street right opposite the two pubs.
    His wife was Tina, she worked in the Woodcutters and always went there to play bingo. Sadly my dad was killed in a bad car crash in 1989 (november) on the back road running from the matchworks to king street.
    Last edited by Jackie; 04-17-2007 at 12:55 AM.

Hello Jackie and welcome to the forum.
    MerseyMay hasn't posted for a while but I'm sure someone else will share memories of Garston with you.

Smile

Thanks Lindylou, Im really enjoying browsing this site.
    I only live down the road from you in Walton, just wondering if you are
    having the same problems with gangs of yobs and huddies in your area as we
    are down here. Just been to a meeting with the new police inspector for walton, and local residents to see if we can do something about it.
    Am still feeling a little deflated as we feel we never really got any answers
    to the questions put forward, but at least we are getting a designated area
    set in place for the school summer holidays . Anyway getting back to Garston
    memories I would love to hear from anyone who used to drink in The Queen
    Victoria (when Bridie and Manny were running it) or the Woodcutters.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast