Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: King Street Garston 1930s to 1970s

Hi there, How you all bring old Garston alive. I've never been there but have an Anne Richardson born there 1838 d/o James, a mariner, and Ann (nee Carter) Annie junior's sisters were Margaret Carter Richardson, Eliza and Alice Carter Richardson. Anne was my 2x g grandmother. Her Mum was Ann Carter, d/o Thomas. Her second marriage was to a Wainwright.
    I have now done a lot more research on the Carter line and Ann's father was Thomas Carter, her mother Alice Davies. Even a couple of generations later the family were still going back to Garston for baptisms. I have Annie Richardson marrying Samuel Foster and then their son Samuel married Maggie Annie Louisa. Most of the kids from these two marriages were baptised in St Michael's. I'm descended from Samuel senior's oldest son Thomas Frederick Foster. I have lots of information on the Carters of Garston, not just my own so can help if anyone needs it. Any connections out there? Flower
    Last edited by FlowerBD20; 02-12-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: new research done since original post

Hello Garstonians

reseaching my family tree and looking for any information on the Airey family who lived in the Station House which was located at the top of James Street. I remember the house vaguely, it was formerly the ticket office for Church Road Station which was closed in 1939. My Grandfather was James Airey and he worked on Garston Docks.

Default Vanity Fair and Bill Holmes Shoemaker

My grandad percy Holmes was bought up by the Fidler Family in Canterbury Street His Uncle Bill Holmes was a shoemender/cobbler and worked from a shed at the back of the Fidler household at no 2 Canterbury Street. He died in the 1950's. Percy Holmes was blinded in WW1 and often returned to Garston (from his home in Surrey) to visit his many friends/relatives there up until 1960's. Bel Preston had a drapers shop at no. 29 King Street from the 1940's-1970 it was called Vanity Fair at one time. I can remember coming to stay with Bel, Cess Mike and Pam many times during 50's 60's.
    If anyone has any memories of Bill Holmes or Bel Preston I would love to hear from them.

Hi Celiatoo,
    hopefully,some of the Yo "Mudmen" can help!

Hi Jackie, we remember that terrible accident that killed your Dad. My mum worked in the Woodcutters with your Mum, Tina. How is your Mum doing now. Would be interested to hear how she is.

Tippo.....would you be a Tipping from Garston ? ....allan

I just discovered this site and I should have found it years ago. My mother's family were from Garston, 70 Window lane. My grandparents were Matthew and Bridget Malone. My mum, Lily was one of many children, Jackie, Terry, May, Matthew, Peggy are all I can remember. I spent lots of time in Window Lane, under the bridge, turn left and then right and a few years ago before mum died I took her back. She loved it, we had a running commentary on who lived were. We called at the shops opposite number 70 and sure enough she met somebody she knew. Lily was born just around the corner at 84 Vulcan Street I don't think its been there for years. My memories of my gran are that she always had a house full of people. She could read anything, hands, heads, tea leaves etc.
    Just the other day I was telling my wife about the land mine that fell on the gas holder and sure enough its related on this site. I remember the baths and I think, "the showfield" opposite. I wonder does anyone remember my mums family.
    Bill

Not a "Mudman" myself Billy,but hi,and welcome to Yo!

Hi Billy! welcome to Yo. I too remember the landmine falling on the Gas Holder. went to Banks Rd school at the time, which also received a bomb (unexploded) in the boiler house I think, and remember having to have classes in various peoples homes whilst the school was closed up. Can't say I knew the Malone family but probably encountered some, or all, of them at some stage especially at The Baths, Saturday night dances there, were very popular after the war. Cheers

Hiya Bill ....asked my Aunty Irene....she`s 88 and was born in Otway Street
    Matty Malone who married Bridget McCauley ?....so I checked the www.freebmd.org.uk site and true enough ...1911....
    she says she remembers Bridie (Bridgit ) Malone well ....so ...if my Aunty was born 1922 Bridgit would have been about 30 -33 ...I presume when aunty was 11 Bridgit would be 40 ish....do you know whether she had her own shop ?....Aunty says she remembers her either owning or running the "sweet shop" in Window Lane...which from 67 Otway Street would be 25 yards.....
    anyway...I remember Jackie Malone .are we talking about a man here named Jackie..if I`m right he only died about 8 years ago ???....am I correct....he was known better by his nickname....the skull........allan

Thanks Allan...... you're spot on, Bridie and Matty are my Grandparents. Your Aunty Irene has a good memory, I'm sure my Ma Lily told me that Bridie worked in the shop over the road in Window Lane. matty spent a lot of time standing outside of the pub, was it called the Lord Raglan or something like that.It was so sad about Jackie, he spent time in Canada and the USA. We lost touch with him, but out of the blue he called my sister and asked would Lily come to see him. I took her and knocked on the door for ages, no reply, Lil wanted to leave, very disappointed. Then I went round the back, opened the gate and saw a man with his back to me. As he turned round I said, Uncle Jackie and he said, hello Bill. I last saw him about 50 years ago. Well, we had a good couple of hours chatting. We had both been to sea and both had an interest in tall ships. Sadly, I only met him once more when I went to visit a couple of weeks later. He died two weeks after my visit. I was pleased that we had the short time that we had.
    Thanks again Allan.

The Lord Raglan is spot on...YOU have a good memory as well Billy....allan

Hi Flower, My tree has Carters in it ! I am sure there is a Margaret Carter, if I am not mistaken I think she married into the Ashcrofts. My Great Grandad was Stanley Ashcroft. I am sure this is the same family link. xxxxx

Hello. Everyone. Firstly, May I apologize for 'Jumping in' here. I dearly wanted to begin my own thread, but can not figure out how to do so. I joined this site apox half hour ago because, like Merseymay, My Family, on my Mum's side were from under the bridge in Garston. & I have been looking for some information & stories to share. When My Mum was alive she would tell me stories about Gandolfo's Milk Bar & the Idle Hour, Queing up outside of Hulme's cake shop in the lane for pies. She also told me so many wonderful personal stories. for example, apparently, she had a parrot that could imitate the sound of almost anything. This bird would sit on the neighbours fence & imitate the sound of the tin of coen which the neighbour (Mr Gunning) would shake to call his homing pidgeons home. The Pidgeons would return home on hearing the Parrot...!!!!
    I do wonder if anyone on here remembers My Mum, or My Grandparents? Mum was born Ida Helsby & lived in Leeming street. My Grandfather was Joseph Helsby & My Grandmother was Ellen Rowlands, whom was known as 'Auntie Nell'. If Anyone does remember, then, any replies would be most welcome. Again, My apologies for just jumping in on your discussion, but I can't yet figure out how to start my own.
    Kind regards,
    Johnny Larsen.

Welcome Johnny! Yes I am old enough to remember Gandolfo's Ice cream parlour, (bottom of the village-St Mary's Rd) and also spent many a good evening in The 'Idle Hour' milkbar in Seddon Rd (Opp the Garston Technical School) I remember the name Helsby too, and the Rowlands name. having a problem putting names to faces! so much time has passed unfortunatly and the memories have faded. Helsby's used to be an Optician's in Garston , perhaps there is a connection? Enjoy the Yo Forum. Cheers.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast